Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd HV battery replacement!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told charge to 100% and leave it for 2 hours. Run it to below 10% leave it for 2 hours. Repeat 10 times and it would sort the BMS and be as expected

That's absolutely ridiculous. What's next, they just send you the battery pack and tell you to install it yourself?

Let's say it took two hours to charge it up to 100% [1], then you let it sit for another two, then what? you have to drive it until it's below 10% AND you have to time it so that you get home before it gets to zero so that's another three or four hours maybe then it has to sit below 10% for 2 more hours. So that's 10 hours total (assuming you can charge up in 2 hours)

times ten is 100 hours!!!!!!!!!! and you're pretty much on this non stop because what else can you do when you're twiddling your thumbs for two hours (so lets hope Operation Sealion doesn't kick off while you're doing this)

...plus to drive from 100% down to less than 10% is what .. two hundred and fifty miles, times ten is 2,500 miles

Tell them to do it

and yes, why don't they have a discharge machine for this purpose - they could even install a power wall at their facility and discharge your car into it

Pathetic

[1] I have no idea tbh I just plug mine in when I get home and it's 80% in the morning

...and if you really wanted to, you could give him a brief lesson on the difference between "its" and "it's" and when to use each of them 👹

1688993460413.png

Last edited:
Reactions: M1tch
I just had my HV battery replaced on my 2 years old M3 SR+.

My wife drove it on a 500km round trip to her head office and told me she had to use a SC on each trip.

She used to charge the car to 90% and would arrive at 10% SoC, without any charging stop necessary, but she told me she had to charge this time.

When we got the car back (after three weeks...), the Tesla rep told me a new HV battery was installed. But now I believe we got a refurbished one with less range.

Is there a way to check battery degradation with the service menu or any existing app (TeslaFi or another)? I'd like to have proof to show to Tesla other than my own words.

Thanks!

I just had my HV battery replaced on my 2 years old M3 SR+.

My wife drove it on a 500km round trip to her head office and told me she had to use a SC on each trip.

She used to charge the car to 90% and would arrive at 10% SoC, without any charging stop necessary, but she told me she had to charge this time.

When we got the car back (after three weeks...), the Tesla rep told me a new HV battery was installed. But now I believe we got a refurbished one with less range.

Is there a way to check battery degradation with the service menu or any existing app (TeslaFi or another)? I'd like to have proof to show to Tesla other than my own words.

Thanks!

If you haven't had Teslafi or an app such as Tessie tracking your battery state over a period of time then you can't specifically show "before and after" data. However, even by using that software from now you can ascertain the present useable capacity of your battery pack in kWh and compare that to the average of the "fleet" of the same model (which those software packages can show you). Tessie and Teslafi offer free introductory periods and there are users on here who can give you a referral code to make that period a bit longer ... you would have to ask them for a code by a Direct Message conversation ... I use Tessie app which can be read both via the web or using a very handy phone app.

Interesting that the new HV battery is listed as REMAN. I think that speaks for itself.

Not an issue if repaired to a new standard using parts that are as good as new if these cells last as long as we are often told they will.

Each battery pack will have a huge amount of data available to Tesla to allow them to repair the pack correctly and to a high standard..........if they are allowed to use it.

Although not great if you're trying to replace a fully operational, the price is a bit more appealing if you have a failure outside of drive train warranty - although that'll be ex-VAT(?)

It has been discussed on here before, but owning an EV out of drive train warranty is bit of a nightmare right now as you can be left high an dry if your battery dies.

If they can get a HV battery replacement, even for a refurb, down to £5-7k I'll be far happier about running a car beyond the 8yr point.

Even better if the fabled pack refurbishment ever came to pass. Take the car in, get new modules, back to over 300 miles again.

Reactions: MD70 and GSP
Interesting that the new HV battery is listed as REMAN. I think that speaks for itself.

Not an issue if repaired to a new standard using parts that are as good as new if these cells last as long as we are often told they will.

Each battery pack will have a huge amount of data available to Tesla to allow them to repair the pack correctly and to a high standard..........if they are allowed to use it.

Well the last one lasted 2 months…..

Reactions: Rustybkts
If you haven't had Teslafi or an app such as Tessie tracking your battery state over a period of time then you can't specifically show "before and after" data. However, even by using that software from now you can ascertain the present useable capacity of your battery pack in kWh and compare that to the average of the "fleet" of the same model (which those software packages can show you). Tessie and Teslafi offer free introductory periods and there are users on here who can give you a referral code to make that period a bit longer ... you would have to ask them for a code by a Direct Message conversation ... I use Tessie app which can be read both via the web or using a very handy phone app.
Thanks! I might eventually give a shot at Tessie!

I did a battery health test in service mode this last week end. I ended up with a result of only 90%,

I can't tell what the health test result was on my previous battery since I didn't run a test, but it seems to me that 10% battery degradation on a 2 years old M3 SR+ with less than 32,000 km (19,500 miles) is very high. That confirmed to me that I got a refurbished battery and not a new one.

Hopefully Tessie will give me an idea!

Thanks! I might eventually give a shot at Tessie!

I did a battery health test in service mode this last week end. I ended up with a result of only 90%,

I can't tell what the health test result was on my previous battery since I didn't run a test, but it seems to me that 10% battery degradation on a 2 years old M3 SR+ with less than 32,000 km (19,500 miles) is very high. That confirmed to me that I got a refurbished battery and not a new one.

Hopefully Tessie will give me an idea!
My 2 year old LFP SR+ is at 18,750 miles and has lost 4% when charged to 100%. Was 263 miles when new and now 253 miles.

Reactions: M1tch
Soooo, I’ve rejected this one too. 243 miles at 90% is utter dog crap and not standing for it - and I’ve told them so too.

Given them 2 COAs.

1 - a NEW HV battery.

2 - Give me my money back and I’ll buy a new M3P.

They have 38 days until I’m overseas for the rest of the year - which they are aware of. I assume they will drag their heels until I’ve gone or “it’s too late” but I love a challenge and one of the above will be the outcome.

Let’s see what occours……😄

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Danno_
That similar to mine, I was worried that I had helped accelerate degradation. I left the at 90% when I was in hospital for a month, it was nearly 4 months later when the car was next used.
I've been following a LFP user on TeslaFi and their car is at the same age as mine but has done ~120,000 miles. His battery has degraded by a similar amount to mine! It looks to me, as if calendar aging has a bigger effect on LFP battery degredation rather than the number of charging cycles the battery undergoes.
I guess time will will have to wait sometime before we will know what the real lifetime of the battery will be...

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
So, no messing back and forth, they did some remote checks and they have fitted a battery with the wrong capacity. Does that mean from a SR or just a really old poor quality one? Not sure but but they said sorry and will replace it to as it was. They have all the measurements from my last 3 packs and can see what I had and what I now get.

They have 4 weeks to get it fitted before I deploy for the rest of the year….