Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Row Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I mentioned before, I have my original car seat installed with the seat belt in the passenger's side back seat and it worked perfectly. In order to have the seat in driver's side work I installed one of the car seats with the latch. Until yesterday it all worked great. Last night the back seat in the passenger's side gave a latch error. This morning the seat does not work with the car seat on. I tried with both the seat belt and latch installation and nothing changed. Today I had to unbuckle and buckle the seat back whenever we needed to access the third row (at least 5 times). One more thing, when I remove the seat and leave the seat free, the seat moves but it doesn't tilt at the end.

This is beyond frustrating!!! At this point I'm confused as to why we get a latch error before the seat breaks or fixes itself. That's only happened with the passenger's side seat. The other seat has been dead ever since.

Now, I received the seat protector that @systemcrashed recommended and to my surprise the seat moves when I install the car seat on it (even though it doesn't complete the movement and tilt at the end). This is just too weird!! Once my visitors leave I'll test the driver's side back seat with the new car seat protector and report back. One thing that concerns me about this type of protector with seat back protection is that the manual states the sides of the seats should not be obstructed since that's the location of the airbags.

At this point I'll keep things like they are now because I need to access the third row multiple times a day. I'm just hoping there's not a safety issue with the new seat protector.

They need to fix this problem for it defeats the purpose of a family car and is not working as expected/advertised.
You bring up a good question about the airbags. It is my understanding that if the seat can move with the buttons then it is registering no occupant or less than 40lbs. The airbags should not deploy in that case. On the other hand, if the car seat has activated the sensor, the airbags would in fact deploy. Do we know if the airbags are in the seats or the pillars / doors?

You bring up a good question about the airbags. It is my understanding that if the seat can move with the buttons then it is registering no occupant or less than 40lbs. The airbags should not deploy in that case. On the other hand, if the car seat has activated the sensor, the airbags would in fact deploy. Do we know if the airbags are in the seats or the pillars / doors?

I don't know about the "if the seat can move with the buttons then it is registering no occupant or less than 40lbs" part since I can move the seat with the 25lb car seat on it while my nephew (about 40lbs) is in the car seat o_O

image.jpeg
I noticed this today, if you choose the Car status option on the dash, you can visualize the seat sensor's status. This showed up on a seat that has a car seat, had to adjust the seat protector and it went away.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeC and vandacca
Hello everyone, after yesterday's update now the screen buttons for both 2nd row seats at greyed out and the seats only move if the buttons on the side of the seats are constantly pressed (all of this with the car seats installed). They move forward ( very slowly :confused:) but they do not tilt at the end of their trajectory. Are you having the same issue?

I took the car to the service center and they are telling me that is the intended functionality but they actually do not know if that was part of the update. The day before the update the passenger's side seat moved perfectly and the driver's side seat was totally dead.

I would appreciate it if you'd tell me if you have the same problem/behavior so I can give the SC more info.

Thanks!

Hello everyone, after yesterday's update now the screen buttons for both 2nd row seats at greyed out and the seats only move if the buttons on the side of the seats are constantly pressed (all of this with the car seats installed). They move forward ( very slowly :confused:) but they do not tilt at the end of their trajectory. Are you having the same issue?

I took the car to the service center and they are telling me that is the intended functionality but they actually do not know if that was part of the update. The day before the update the passenger's side seat moved perfectly and the driver's side seat was totally dead.

I would appreciate it if you'd tell me if you have the same problem/behavior so I can give the SC more info.

Thanks!
Activate the car status on the instrument cluster (my picture above your post), look for a red seatbelt icon. If present then lift the car seat up off the seat and watch the icon will go away. The on screen buttons will be available as long as that red icon is not showing. If you're using the seatbelt to fasten the car seat you will have this limited functionality as well.

• Informative
Reactions: FarmerDave
Activate the car status on the instrument cluster (my picture above your post), look for a red seatbelt icon. If present then lift the car seat up off the seat and watch the icon will go away. The on screen buttons will be available as long as that red icon is not showing. If you're using the seatbelt to fasten the car seat you will have this limited functionality as well.

I've done this plenty of times and it doesn't work. For the driver's side seat I don't get any warning icon in the car status display. Until the last update things were working as described in my previous posts but now that changed and I'm interested to know if everyone in a situation like mine is having the same outcome.

Thanks!

I have a 7 seater and after the latest update if the seat belt extender is clicked in - the 2nd row doesn't move all the way forward for ez 3rd row access. It moves forward, but the top doesn't tilt all the way. I have to undo the seat belt extenders which does allow the seats to move all the way to the front and tilts the tops forward to let people in the back. Also my middle seat only seems to go all the way forward when it feels like it. I can't find a pattern where it consistently does it. Finally, the passenger side outboard 2nd row seats makes a "clunk" sound when it reaches the forward most position. Haven't reported any of this to SC yet. Not sure if it's worth the hassle just yet.

I have a 7 seater and after the latest update if the seat belt extender is clicked in - the 2nd row doesn't move all the way forward for ez 3rd row access. It moves forward, but the top doesn't tilt all the way. I have to undo the seat belt extenders which does allow the seats to move all the way to the front and tilts the tops forward to let people in the back. Also my middle seat only seems to go all the way forward when it feels like it. I can't find a pattern where it consistently does it. Finally, the passenger side outboard 2nd row seats makes a "clunk" sound when it reaches the forward most position. Haven't reported any of this to SC yet. Not sure if it's worth the hassle just yet.

When you have the seat belts clicked in, can you move the seat from the screen or do you have to use the button on the seat? In my case, the buttons on the screen are greyed out.

Try it with the belts unbuckled.
FWIW, I already submitted a bug report asking Tesla to revert back to allowing the seats to move freely with seats buckled. That was the behavior prior to last update (that introduced Close All button for doors on the main screen) You would think that they can get it right using the right inputs: eg.
If car is in Park
AND seat weight sensor = unoccupied,
then, allow free seat movement (whether buckled or not).

How's that for pseudocode ;)?

Wait, in my case this happens when the seat belt is buckled though.

FWIW, I already submitted a bug report asking Tesla to revert back to allowing the seats to move freely with seats buckled. That was the behavior prior to last update (that introduced Close All button for doors on the main screen) You would think that they can get it right using the right inputs: eg.
If car is in Park

:D

Thanks!

First off, sorry to hear about your frustrations as I too have had this very issue in my 6 seater X for nearly most of my ownership since May. Secondly, I am also from Redmond, WA and now live and work in the Atlanta area. I was actually in Redmond 2 weeks ago and on 2 occasions saw a stunning blue X. Could that have been you?
Back to the issue at hand. We have 2 car seats in the 2nd row of our X and the drivers side has a rear facing carseat which has always worked brilliantly and both moves with the setback button and articulates at the end on that rear facing seat. The passenger side front facing carseat is a different story. Early on in May it worked as advertised, but one day it just stopped working all together and was dead from the button on the seat back as well as grayed on the screen. Last week my car was at the service center and they assured me it was a firmware update that was the problem and they said they fixed it. I didn't think to check at the SC as they had fixed many other issues as well but when I got home and tried, I noticed it was painfully slow (and I mean painfully) and it did not articulate in the end. We too have family coming to town soon and need to figure something out here. I never thought about seat tension from the carseats as the culprit but it does make total sense. After this post I will be off to the garage to loosen and try a few things.

I suggest you (as I did today) and everyone else here presses the talk button on the steering wheel and says "report 2nd row child seat option override so when a child seat is installed in the 2nd row, one can still move the seat forward and articulate it for easy 3rd row access." Or something along those lines. This will send a direct report to the Tesla HQ engineers and if enough of us send this report request in I don't see why that wouldn't be an option in the seats tab soon. Once you finish your feedback and let go of the button on the steering wheel you will get a "thank you for your feedback" prompt on the instrument panel display.

If car is in Park

Just read this. Glad you're submitting a report as well!

Just had a chance to mess with the car seat and it is almost certainly 2 different things at play here. One an early bug which rendered the seat in question with extra tension to be inoperable and 2 a new software update which now allows the seats to move forward but not articulate when enough weight is sensed.
When I loosened my non articulating passenger side car seat in my 6 seater it immediately allowed for full functionality to return. Sure you can leave it a tad bit looser to accommodate the 3rd row access when family is in town but no one wants to risk a potentially less safe scenario for their kids.
During my testing in the garage right now, it seems as though it is not the lower latches on the left and right side of the car seats that instigate a limited functioning seat motion but the 3rd longer latch which goes over and behind the seat and latches to the floor in the back of the seat.
It is that tightening that creates the extra tension on the seatback and not seat bottom that triggers my particular car seat.

Last edited: