Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been away from my car for over a week (and will be gone for another week still :()) so haven’t had time to do more testing and planning for the install yet... but, I was planning on using some zip ties and dual lock to attach the front camera to the underside of my front license plate holder (which I’d love to remove, but can’t due to state law).

Plan would be to drill 2 small holes in the bottom of the holder to feed the zip ties though and then secure the camera with some 3m dual lock.

Thoughts? Will this work?

I've had mine mounted on both a classic S and the refreshed. Each time, I used clear Goop. And while it was drying, I held it in place with duct tape. My state requires the front tag too, but I don't always follow the rules. I took mine off the 5 minutes after I got the car home. But I digress. I used a piece of soft plastic and glued the camera to it, and drilled holes to match the two holes the plate mount used. This gives me the flexibility to remove/swap the camera if need be without putting Goop on the car's grille. See picture
Refreshed-Front-Cam2.jpg
The screws are not flush yet. Tightened them before I quit.
Refreshed-Front-Cam8.jpg

I’ve been away from my car for over a week (and will be gone for another week still :()) so haven’t had time to do more testing and planning for the install yet... but, I was planning on using some zip ties and dual lock to attach the front camera to the underside of my front license plate holder (which I’d love to remove, but can’t due to state law).

Plan would be to drill 2 small holes in the bottom of the holder to feed the zip ties though and then secure the camera with some 3m dual lock.

Thoughts? Will this work?

Did you receive my package?

Also, I lived in the Boston area for 17 years and never ran front plates on any of my cars and never got a ticket. And even if I did, it's a non-moving violation for I think $25? Well worth it not to destroy the front view of those vehicles. And in some places, it's a fix-it-ticket where you go back to the station with the front plate mounted, and they nullify the ticket.

I’ll probably be hanging the camera off my ‘The Law’ license plate bracket, since that’s already in place. Figure that’s the most unobtrusive thing (and everything is together).

A reminder when we get to 50, did we ever get a final list of parts and numbers to order from Tesla? I think I’ve seen a couple of versions back there. And install instructions, of course, I know Hank is working on that! :D

boaterva, I know you've been around here a while. And I suspect you have seen the other threads on the front cam kit. There was a camera-to-tag mount in the early kit. If you re-read those threads, I think you will find the original source. Or someone with the first kit may still have the mount that they did not use. Sorry, but mine was used by someone else a long time ago. That is, if you need one for The Law.

boaterva, I know you've been around here a while. And I suspect you have seen the other threads on the front cam kit. There was a camera-to-tag mount in the early kit. If you re-read those threads, I think you will find the original source. Or someone with the first kit may still have the mount that they did not use. Sorry, but mine was used by someone else a long time ago. That is, if you need one for The Law.
@Akikiki I think I might recall that... a tag mount would be useful, but on first look I was only going to put a bolt through the hole in the camera and then through the plate hole! I’ll look in that original thread and see if that might be useful, thanks for the pointer!

Reactions: Akikiki
Did you receive my package?

Also, I lived in the Boston area for 17 years and never ran front plates on any of my cars and never got a ticket. And even if I did, it's a non-moving violation for I think $25? Well worth it not to destroy the front view of those vehicles. And in some places, it's a fix-it-ticket where you go back to the station with the front plate mounted, and they nullify the ticket.

Yes, received it. Unfortunately I’ve been traveling and haven’t had time to do any further testing yet. Car is parked at the airport :(

I’ll be back next week, so should be able to make some progress then.

TBD if I’ll pull the front plate... bracket does seem like potentially a nice “non destructive” place to mount the front camera though!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
So, after reading the whole original thread (that was interesting), I’m going to have to play with my camera a bit. I don’t see a great way to do this using the The Law bracket, right off, as I have mine ‘right side up’ and I’d rather hide the camera a bit more than was the case than put it in the middle of the license plate.

On a Model X, there’s no obvious place to mount it, besides perhaps glueing to the top of the air dam (which isn’t a horrible idea).

I might run the cables and power everything up and see how the picture looks with the camera in various places. (Like how bad does it look if recessed *this* much, etc.).

Just to give you folks a frame of reference. When we did the first run of the switch, just the Tesla camera cost us $350 from Tesla. The parts for the kit back then came to about $600. And I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to do it. Its the best mod that I have ever done or seen on a Model S. Saved my front splitter again and again.

Tesla moved to a different camera and the price of the one on the new cars is $78. Someone is selling the old (the one we bought for $350) on Amazon now for $40. Just the reduced price of the camera cuts the cost of this project 50%. IMO, its a bargain now.

A little behind the scenes info for you. Artsci started this project for his own purposes because his early S did not have parking sensors. When he bragged about it, many of us begged him to help us do the same. So he did. Its far more effort than its really worth to him. Every time I show mine off to local owners, they say, they want it. But the key component, the PCB switch, is not available off the shelf. As many others on TM and TMC heard about this, they too wanted it - since 2014. I nagged artsci over and over to do another run. I think he did this 2nd run to get me off this talented back :) There's nothing in this for me, except to know more people's cars are better protected. I was confident there would be hundreds that want it. Well considering the first 100 run sold out in about two months, as I recall, when there was only about 15,000 cars, I thought these 50 would be gone in week. There's 200,000 cars now and well, you know the rest.

Reactions: berkeley_ecar