Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front Camera Kit Cables.
Per artsci's request, here's a detailed accounting of how we use the cables and the appropriate connector on each end. We are looking strictly at the pins inside the connectors. We are ignoring the plastic outside connectors.

We recommend that only cables from Tesla be used. Part Numbers have previously been reported in earlier posts and to our knowledge are still accurate by Part Number.

All connectors have 4 pins.

The long cable and the short cable(s) are Female connectors on both ends. Each 2 connectors – Female pins. The details of how this is used below, only describes using one long cable and one short cable. I think I made a mistake when I ordered two short cables. I still have my spare.

The rear camera also now used on the front has Male pins. 1 Connector – Male pins.

The cable going to the touchscreen has Male pins connector. 1 Connector – Male pins.

The three cable ports on the switch are Male pins connectors. 3 Connectors – Male pins.

Details how it all used:

The cable from the touchscreen is Male and cannot plug into the switch without gender change. Use a short cable that has Female connectors on each end and can plug into the cable from the touchscreen and also into the center port on the front camera switch. Touchscreen Male Pin connector converted to Femail with short cable changes gender to Switch Male – marked Screen. Connection #1 made.

The rear camera has a short cable with Male pins

The rear camera with Male pins plugs into a female connector on a cable that runs forward inside the car and is visible at the driver side door sill and kick panel. This cable other end come out under the dash, it is a – Female connector that from the factory was connected to the Male pin connector going to the touchscreen, but we disconnect it in order to plug it into the switch. Female connector to Switch Male – marked Rear. Connection #2 is made.

We are adding a rear camera to the front of the car’s grille. We now call this the front camera. This camera also has Male pins. A cable with two Female connectors. One cable Female pin connector is connected to the front camera Male connector pins. The other end of this cable Female and connects directly to the Male connector pins on the switch – marked Front.

The cable is (like used from the rear) is threaded from the car’s lower grille under the frunk trim (we recommend under the opening of the fender), to the A Pillar at the door opening, under the door weatherstriping and into the side of the dash.

Well, with the lack of being able to convert a person's TMC Id to an email address its hard to reach out to everyone on the combined list. So I think a lot of people that would like to have the kit are not aware of the recent announcement regarding taking deposits and CANBUS interface. Those frequent TMC visitors signed up right away. Those that don't come here often do not know and do not know unless they are digging though New Posts. Even New Posts become regular posts after a while.

• Informative
Reactions: phaphaphooey
I agree with everything that @Akikiki said!

But also, there are tons of people that typically wait until something becomes closer to fruition before jumping onboard. They would prefer to just simply buy the product, rather than to give their money and wait and see, and for how long, and then maybe not happen at all...

I will admit that myself, with everything going on in my world right now, I wasn't in too big of a hurry to get here and put down the deposit, because I noticed we weren't anywhere near 50 yet; so I didn't feel the need to place this as a high priority, when I had higher priorities to deal with for my family. (But I'm hear now; no need to beat me up!)

I'm not saying that there's a better or worse way to handle this. I'm just pointing out human nature.... My guess is that the closer we get to 50, the more rapidly people will jump onboard. (At least I hope so!)

Reactions: logan and appleguru
Can I wire up 2 of these in my car at once, and manually swap the second from front camera to a camera pointed at a phone for in-dash Waze? Someone joked about this on reddit and I think it might be the only way to keep waze now that tesla-waze is dead. It's worth the attempt to me, anyway, especially if buying a second unit gets us past that 50 needed preorders.

A much easier solution is to just buy an older generation iPad, tether it to your cell phone, and mount it on the dash.

But yes, I suppose you could wire up two switches -- the first switch would switch between 'reverse' and the second switch. The second switch could switch between 'front' and 'waze'. But I shudder to think what it would look like having a goose-neck contraption you'd need with a camera on the end, pointing at a cell phone.

1953-the-war-of-the-worlds-03-e1454007682606.png

Thanks, Hank! I've already used an ipad suctioned to the screen in the past, and it's easy to remote to a phone so I can print up a self contained phone+ camera holder for the waze box and store that away in the frunk or that rear side cubby. Since it'll work, now the only question mark is how to get the fisheye lens off of the camera, I've never tried to pull it apart but that won't be helpful for a macguyver'd waze.

I have the camera, and like it so much I’ll be #32. And I don’t even have a second Tesla.
I know at least two people that let their mounted front cam go when they sold their Tesla and ordered another. They they regretted it.
One of those two guys tried to get permission to take it off when he realized what he had lost. The buyer said it was a deal breaker.
Having a spare is a really good idea. (I do too.)

• Helpful
Reactions: jelloslug