Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i dont know how to pm you, sorry a newb. but wanna get you a deposit

Click on artsci's icon, next to one of his messages,
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 6.59.28 PM.png
and then click on "Start a conversation".
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 7.01.27 PM.png

Reactions: Akikiki
Bump!

In order to summarize 20 pages for new readers of this-

For ~$350-400 you can add a front-facing camera that is directly integrated with the 17" MCU in any year Model S/X. It integrates with HomeLink and switches from rear to forward camera when you approach a HomeLink GPS point. Also, it integrates with the Reverse can bus signal so when you put the car in reverse, you see the rear view, when you put in drive, you get the front view.

This does not impact AP/EAP/FSD functionality as the rear camera feed goes to the AP ECU first before going to MCU. As such, AP will always work.

It's a great modification that is simple and requires no programming. As simple as a dash cam install.

Who will be our next 14 reservations so we can get the batch ordered!?! I know there are more DIY guys out there that love these types of projects. Reserving the kit requires a $100 deposit. Please PM @artsci to make a deposit.

A model X AP 2.0 owner. I have been watching this thread, lost my interest when it looked like I had a run a connection to the rear of my car. Now it looks like I do not have to since it will use CAN bus?? Is this the case? Can anyone confirm? Also is there a summary of what the installation of the second run will entail for a model X with AP 2.0? Sounds like the installation is now simpler?? Thanks!!

A model X AP 2.0 owner. I have been watching this thread, lost my interest when it looked like I had a run a connection to the rear of my car. Now it looks like I do not have to since it will use CAN bus?? Is this the case? Can anyone confirm? Also is there a summary of what the installation of the second run will entail for a model X with AP 2.0? Sounds like the installation is now simpler?? Thanks!!

We'll need a volunteer to try an installation on a Model X. It should work just fine but we have to be sure. That volunteer will get a free camera switch PCB. PM me if you're interested in volunteering.

And yes, I have a CAN bus solution for the reserve signal, though I *still* haven’t fully tested it as I have been traveling the last few weeks. Finally heading home tonight and will hopefully give it a proper test this week.

As we've not received a deposit in more than a week, if we don't reach our goal of 50 in another two weeks I'll have to cancel production and refund everyone's deposit. At this point, demand does not appear to be sufficient to justify production.

This would be a sad outcome indeed. We should collectively put our minds to the task of reaching 50 order deposits.

I have one suggestion: perhaps 7 of us would like to order a second kit, either to have one in reserve for our next Tesla purchase, or (as in my case) to resell to one of the folks who will predictably appear in 2 1/2 weeks, very disappointed to have missed out in a failed group purchase. I would of course expect a substantial markup from the late purchaser, perhaps 50%, for having taken on this risk. I am willing to make such a second order if I can find at least 2 others to join me (getting us nearly halfway to the 7 remaining deposits required to reach our goal of 50 deposits).

Surely others have ideas. My impression is that announcing the group purchase on Facebook produced more cringes than orders, but perhaps there are other web-based venues? There is a reddit group for Tesla -- perhaps someone would be willing to wordsmith a notice to place there, or on the Tesla owners forum on the Tesla corporate web site? Are there any appropriate Maker or etsy-like crafting sites? I'm not a great user of social media, myself. C'mon folks, let's get our creative juices flowing here! After the effort thus far it would be deeply disappointing to see the group order die for the lack of a few additional participants... :(

Last edited:
As we've not received a deposit in more than a week, if we don't reach our goal of 50 in another two weeks I'll have to cancel production and refund everyone's deposit. At this point, demand does not appear to be sufficient to justify production.

I'm interested. Where do I send the $100 to? Sorry just stunbled upon this post and want to get a deposit in ASAP so you can go into production! What post # do I find the instructions to do this?

OK, I just tried to create a notice about our group purchase effort in The "General" discussion topic of the Tesla forums, but can not seem to post it (the "Preview" and "Save" buttons don't appear to be active, and I can't figure out why). Perhaps someone who is a regular user of that site can give it a try? To save you time, here is what I tried to enter:

Subject: Tesla Motors Club group organizing group purchase of kit for front video camera (for use in parking)

Body: The Tesla Motors Club is an organization of Tesla owners and enthusiasts. Several of its members have come up with clever after-market add-ons for Tesla vehicles (not as profit-making products, but rather as cost-basis kits). One of the most admired of these is a kit to add a video camera to the front of the vehicle that can be toggled on/off in exchange with the rear view cam, displayed on the center screen, for use in parking (to avoid damage to the low spoiler on the front). A group purchase of a second generation kit is being organized at the moment. You can read more about this effort on the TMC web site:
2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen
We currently have 6 places left to fulfill our target of 50 participants (to make purchase of the requisite printed circuit board economically feasible). Come join us!

HankLloydRight and NGO FEAR have taken me up on my offer to submit a second deposit if they would do the same. Thanks, guys! If crebelo comes through on his deposit, that should get us to 47 -- three deposits to go! Before I trigger my paypal deposit, I want to beat the bushes one final time -- c'mon folks, there have to be others who want to join our gang of three. Perhaps we can convince artsci to sign one of the components for the double purchasers, giving us "Signature" editions of the board kit ;) (or provide some other incentive). I'll let this go on for another 24h, and then nudge HankLloydRight and NGO FEAR to submit their deposits along with me. Thanks again, guys!

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG