Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_6393.jpg IMG_6397.jpg IMG_6390.jpg IMG_6391.jpg IMG_6392.jpg IMG_6396.jpg
I have available an unused Camera Switcher kit + camera + Panda/Giraffe kit with both the SuperBat and newer cable set and all the instructions provided in this forum for installation. I will sell the entire kit for $550, postage paid. Please send me a private message if interested.

Reactions: Akikiki
Double click on the photos in the thread and they will open in a window. You should be able to use any photo editor you have to rotate them if they are displaying upside down. It is a complete kit with the extra set of cables and the remote for the switcher. I even collected and printed the various sets of detailed instructions that had been posted here to aid with the install. The camera is the Tesla OEM model sold by Amazon and discussed in this thread a while back. I have no idea how the cameras would compare - my Model S is a 2013. It is a Tesla camera, so I see no reason you could not swap them if you are handy enough.

• Funny
Reactions: Tanquen
@Mankirk, We've seen a couple of revisions of the camera. If you have the one that was available on Amazon, you have one that was released after your 2013 S. Back in 2013/14 the Tesla camera in use at the time cost us $345. Then about a year later, July '15 they made another available for $78. There was almost no difference in the two. We could not see a difference side by side. FYI.

The one I purchased is the $78 model - I know that. I bought my car as a CPO from Tesla in 2017, so I don't have any knowledge of how the the later model years vary in terms of their outfitting, but it's good to know this camera performs like the original.

Actually, you need that $78.00 camera version versus a brand new current version from Tesla. The newer version will not work with longer cables when put on with the front cam switch on a '17. I tried over and over putting newer one on my Mar '17 S. Never did figure out why it would not. It just did not like two same camera, one on front and one on rear used with the switch. When I went back to the old one, like yours it worked flawlessly.

When Tesla enabled Smart Summon, my car would not work. The feed goes into the APE 2.0 module before it goes to the screen. The APE did not like the switch. When I bypassed the switch, Smart Summon worked. I disabled all of the front cam switch before I went in for my MCU2 Upgrade and AP3.0. I've not put it back. I miss the front cam view, but not going to risk the other stuff not working.

• Informative
Reactions: Russell
Hi all, soon I will be installing a front camera kit I purchased from a member - Thanks David!
I would appreciate from other members that installed this on a AP1 car.
1) Everything is done through the drivers side on the AP1 right? no need to dismantle glovebox ect. like shown in the video by appleguru for his AP2?
2) To activate the camera switch you click and hold the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel - right? (no programming is needed for this function?)

Thanks guys!

Hi all, soon I will be installing a front camera kit I purchased from a member - Thanks David!
I would appreciate from other members that installed this on a AP1 car.
1) Everything is done through the drivers side on the AP1 right? no need to dismantle glovebox ect. like shown in the video by appleguru for his AP2?
2) To activate the camera switch you click and hold the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel - right? (no programming is needed for this function?)

Thanks guys!

He has the Panda ...

So I am a couple years late on seeing all this info...but maybe you guys can give an idea if this is possible. Today driving I almost plowed into a large herd of sheep crossing the road. It was nightting, foggy, and the shepherds didn't have any lights. I was only going maybe 50km/hr...but still would have sucked for both sides. Then I remembered my BMW had a nighttime/flir camera, and this sort of thing was easy to spot. So I thought, why not make a switch to split the rear camera feed to a flir or normal rear camera....and I ended up here searching for info.

Could the secondary camera be a small flir camera? I know the resolution sucks on this, but its more from the safety aspect of things and a coolness factor too. But I don't know what signal the camera is doing and so on, or if this is even something to consider wasting time on. The switching system for what I have seen here looks great, just needs the "front" camera to be the flir camera instead.

Any thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: Russell
OK, after some more thought and searching, this might be feasible and reasonable too.
Thermal Cameras for your Smartphone with a Raspberry Pi using OpenThermal/libseek-thermal and with the viewer app to have the output going to HDMI.

So that makes it roughly $250 to $500 depending on resolution. So this *is* actually possible in theory for a reasonable amount...

So where is this "hdmi switcher" you referenced? Do you happen to have any links or more info on it? I'm now looking for the actual hardware for doing all this now. Have to start with the Tesla parts, then do the other secondarily.

2017 Model S, AP2.0

The idea of this front camera started in 2012 until mid 2013 when the S didn't have parking sensors. The camera was right on the lower grille to show us when we were approaching curbs and parking bumps and garage walls. And its been a wonderful mod and did its job quite well. Many of us added it to more than one of our cars.

Reactions: pilotSteve
So where is this "hdmi switcher" you referenced? Do you happen to have any links or more info on it? I'm now looking for the actual hardware for doing all this now. Have to start with the Tesla parts, then do the other secondarily.

2017 Model S, AP2.0

The HDMI Switcher is a different product in a different thread designed by a different owner. Do a search for the TMC member @BearBu and it will help you locate his threads.

OK, after some more thought and searching, this might be feasible and reasonable too.
Thermal Cameras for your Smartphone with a Raspberry Pi using OpenThermal/libseek-thermal and with the viewer app to have the output going to HDMI.

So that makes it roughly $250 to $500 depending on resolution. So this *is* actually possible in theory for a reasonable amount...

2017 Model S, AP2.0
There is this camera that is less expensive than the Flir but made for night driving and animal/ped identification: Night Owl Plus Infrared Deer Detector for Car

It would still require either a switcher for the main screen or a separate dedicated screen or perhaps a phone to display the image. It would be nice to see Tesla provide a video input to allow flexibility without hacking the rear camera signal.

Reactions: SUM-EV