Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.5 year MYLR update 179.7k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Y it changed my 3.5 hour commute into something manageable. I drive from south NJ to NYC midtown M-F 4am to noon shift. 190 miles or so a day depending on road closures/errands.
Tires every 60-70k
AC compressor heat pump service
Holding up well. I do have to charge upwards of 100 especially in the winter 🥶 I time the charge though by adjusting amps so it finishes at 2am and usually isn’t quite done charging when I depart.
On the weekends it gets a break with 50% charge limit.
Charges to 270 on a good day. I estimate85% degredation and 60kwh usable from the 75 pack.

IMG_5208.jpeg
IMG_5207.jpegIMG_5201.jpegIMG_5209.jpeg

Love my Y it changed my 3.5 hour commute into something manageable. I drive from south NJ to NYC midtown M-F 4am to noon shift. 190 miles or so a day depending on road closures/errands.
Tires every 60-70k
Holding up well. I do have to charge upwards of 100 especially in the winter 🥶 I time the charge though by adjusting amps so it finishes at 2am and usually isn’t quite done charging when I depart.
Charges to 270 on a good day. I estimate85% degredation and 60kwh usable from the 75 pack.

View attachment 1030395View attachment 1030396View attachment 1030397View attachment 1030398
3.5 hr one way??

Tires every 60-70k

View attachment 1030395View attachment 1030396View attachment 1030397View attachment 1030398
Isn't it cheaper to move closer to work, or find a job closer to home? I never could understand these huge commutes. I did 50 minutes each way for a year, and that was enough

Isn't it cheaper to move closer to work, or find a job closer to home? I never could understand these huge commutes. I did 50 minutes each way for a year, and that was enough
He's driving into NYC, I doubt he would save money moving closer to the city, and jobs in large cities tend to pay better than suburban companies.

Tires every 60-70k

Good thing it's not a 9-5 job or your commute would be 6 hrs/day lol

Makes sense, I have seen other NCA batteries hit 80% at 300-350k miles. Even then the range is still usable.

Maybe next time consider the LFP if the range is enough, you will be able to do 1 million miles!

80% of the Long Range range is basically the equivalent of 100% of the non-Long Range range! I'd say this is quite usable.

Reactions: karlos22
FYI, you can always use schedule charging so your car will be ready at the time you depart. The wording is a little misleading but you select Schedule under the app, select Off-Peak Charge, Set Departure time to when you want the car to be charged to your set SOC. The car will calculate when it needs to start charging and it will be ready at your desired time to leave. Actually I find it about an hour ready before the set time. One concern when using this feature though. When you come home during the day and want to put the car on charge to go out that evening, you need to select on the app to start charging. Other than that, it's a great feature that ensures your car is not sitting over night at a high state of charge. Recent studies indicate high SOC increases calendar aging degradation.

{I estimate85% degradation}

Just a thought: I wonder if 85% degradation in 3.5 yrs (granted with almost 180K miles) is mainly due to a lot of Supercharging on highways? i.e. if 180K miles after 3.5yrs of charging mostly at home then the battery degradation would be much less.

Any battery Engineers out there who could shed some lights on this subject?

Thanks

Be great to get 10 years half a million miles but I should also be realistic about potentially upgrading when the 6 year loan is paid in sept 2026 (300k miles)
So I have to ask why you have a 6 year loan on a car you’re driving 50K+ miles per year. Seems like a risky setup unless you use the load to maintain liquidity/use of other funds.

Great report, though - and provides a perfect retort for all the naysayers who say ‘the battery won’t last!’ I assume you use autopilot for a good part of your commute?