Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Car Seats - Twins due in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can second this. We have my model 3 and my wife has the plug in Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.

Mine are 2 and 5 and I recently sold my e350 for a new navigator. Even as they get older, it’s harder to fit a third person in the middle and luggage for road trips didn’t fit. We also have a q5 and will replace that with a model 3. You almost need 3 rows until the kids are big enough to be out of boosters

Reactions: N8Howell33
Mine are 2 and 5 and I recently sold my e350 for a new navigator. Even as they get older, it’s harder to fit a third person in the middle and luggage for road trips didn’t fit. We also have a q5 and will replace that with a model 3. You almost need 3 rows until the kids are big enough to be out of boosters
you're from SF/JE! guess you just bought a 3 as well

Wow ! What an awesomely active and thoughtful forum - thank you for all your comments.

It seems I have a lot to consider. I was under the impression that rear facing until 4 years was 'recommended'. Also, I should have mentioned we do have a 3 row SUV in the family, Dodge Durango, which makes things a bit simpler from a planning standpoint because we can swap cars if need be. I know a minivan is the most utilitarian option but I just cannot bring myself to buy one and have a general aversion to large cars. My wife's comment on that topic was was 'if you buy me a mini van I will run myself over with it"!

As it relates to a CPO model S, that's a possibility. Can anyone speak to how the repair process works? I live about 2 hours from the closest Tesla location and having a car that might need a bit of TLC, in addition to newborn twins, gives me pause.

• Funny
Reactions: T-Will
Wow ! What an awesomely active and thoughtful forum - thank you for all your comments.

It seems I have a lot to consider. I was under the impression that rear facing until 4 years was 'recommended'. Also, I should have mentioned we do have a 3 row SUV in the family, Dodge Durango, which makes things a bit simpler from a planning standpoint because we can swap cars if need be. I know a minivan is the most utilitarian option but I just cannot bring myself to buy one and have a general aversion to large cars. My wife's comment on that topic was was 'if you buy me a mini van I will run myself over with it"!

As it relates to a CPO model S, that's a possibility. Can anyone speak to how the repair process works? I live about 2 hours from the closest Tesla location and having a car that might need a bit of TLC, in addition to newborn twins, gives me pause.

Rear facing is recommended until 2 years or the car seat manufacturer's recommended weight and height. While it IS best to be in a rear facing car seat as long as possible I think most people change it to forward facing by age 3. But even with one forward facing, I don't think you'll be able to fit 3 car seats unless one of them is just a booster seat.

Rear facing is recommended until 2 years or the car seat manufacturer's recommended weight and height. While it IS best to be in a rear facing car seat as long as possible I think most people change it to forward facing by age 3. But even with one forward facing, I don't think you'll be able to fit 3 car seats unless one of them is just a booster seat.
Aye. I had to switch my son to forward facing at two because it wasn't possible to do two rear facing in my Audi S4. I refuse to buy an SUV or minivan so I just made it work.

With the Tesla I could easily do it now but once you go forward facing the kid will never go back (plus he's now 5). There's also the issue of height. All seats have a height limit for rear facing so check yours.

My son will be 3 and I'll have two brand new babies later this year. With that said, I will need 3 rear facing car seats ....and a second job o_O. I currently drives a two door coupe and am looking to replace it asap; optimally with a Model 3.

I've read accounts of 3 car seats installed across the rear bench but haven't been able to find much in the way of actual users with three rear facing installed day to day. Has anyone come across this or better yet has this current set up? Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Take it from a family man who had two convertible roadsters up to a week before the first child was born: Get a real family car!

- The 3 is low, even for a sedan, and the rear seats are even lower. It will be a PITA to bend down and bang your head against the door frame whenever you need to reach in and grab or strap the children, especially when you need to deal with the middle row belt.
- The glass roof with no cover will be a nightmare. Even if you tint the crap out of it, and it will still send a lot of radiant heat down onto your babies. Cranky babies with the sun in their eyes at all times ... I would not have that.
- It will be super cramped with three seats across, with virtually no chance to use a regular booster due to the near-inability to access the seatbelt latch. You'd be stuck with a forward-facing convertible and two rear-facing baby seats. That would work somewhat now, but you's be SOL in a couple of years when your older one grows out of the convertible seat.
- not the greatest safety choice. The 3 is a safe car, provided that you smash it exactly as the govt. tests prescribe. If you were to be t-boned by a pickup truck or SUV, their bumper could hit the side of your car in a very weak spot, i.e. above the crossbeam inside the door frame. That nice video Tesla uses to advertise the side-impact rating involves an object hitting the battery case (which is very rigid). An impact point higher up than that would probably result in the Model 3 being impaled like cheese. If you want a door crossbeam to be in the path of such an impact, rather than your newborn's head, get something taller and stronger.
-there is no "I'm going to stop by the supercharger real quick" with two babies and a toddler in the car. You'd want to make sure you're never close to needing all the available range.
- there are a lot of unscheduled road-side diaper jobs in your future. get a vehicle with a hatch.
- a real engine and exhaust works wonders with tired babies. they'd probably fall asleep quicker than in the tesla ...

... and a lot of other reasons, but you get the idea. Get an X if you can stretch it (and watch those doors like a hawk around the children) or get a proper car for now and come back to the electric side in a few years.

Reactions: Non3Ya
I can second this. We have my model 3 and my wife has the plug in Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.

The Pacifica Hybrid is a great van. I recommend looking into one, as it will be able to accommodate the family as the kids grow as well as handling gear and supplies for sports and family trips.

I'm 6'4" and 300 pounds and I'm comfortable in all three rows of the Pacifica Hybrid. I cannot comfortably fit in the third row of a Sienna or an Odyssey. This makes the Pacifica ideal if you have family or friends riding along with you and the kids.

Take it from a family man who had two convertible roadsters up to a week before the first child was born: Get a real family car!

- The 3 is low, even for a sedan, and the rear seats are even lower. It will be a PITA to bend down and bang your head against the door frame whenever you need to reach in and grab or strap the children, especially when you need to deal with the middle row belt.
- The glass roof with no cover will be a nightmare. Even if you tint the crap out of it, and it will still send a lot of radiant heat down onto your babies. Cranky babies with the sun in their eyes at all times ... I would not have that.
- It will be super cramped with three seats across, with virtually no chance to use a regular booster due to the near-inability to access the seatbelt latch. You'd be stuck with a forward-facing convertible and two rear-facing baby seats. That would work somewhat now, but you's be SOL in a couple of years when your older one grows out of the convertible seat.
- not the greatest safety choice. The 3 is a safe car, provided that you smash it exactly as the govt. tests prescribe. If you were to be t-boned by a pickup truck or SUV, their bumper could hit the side of your car in a very weak spot, i.e. above the crossbeam inside the door frame. That nice video Tesla uses to advertise the side-impact rating involves an object hitting the battery case (which is very rigid). An impact point higher up than that would probably result in the Model 3 being impaled like cheese. If you want a door crossbeam to be in the path of such an impact, rather than your newborn's head, get something taller and stronger.
-there is no "I'm going to stop by the supercharger real quick" with two babies and a toddler in the car. You'd want to make sure you're never close to needing all the available range.
- there are a lot of unscheduled road-side diaper jobs in your future. get a vehicle with a hatch.
- a real engine and exhaust works wonders with tired babies. they'd probably fall asleep quicker than in the tesla ...

... and a lot of other reasons, but you get the idea. Get an X if you can stretch it (and watch those doors like a hawk around the children) or get a proper car for now and come back to the electric side in a few years.

Thank you! So many items here I haven't considered.

This is the TRUTH right here!

Only thing i want to add was for our 2 kids (britax marathon for 3 yo and britax pioneer for 5 yo) I had to turn around our 3 year old to front facing in the 3 because it was getting hard to put him in and his legs were getting cramped. It was still fine in X to keep him rear facing. Also i had to add wincos tint 40% to rear for reasons mentioned above.

Slightly OT, but I wish you and family all the best with twins. Make sure they check the CL on a regular basis even if there were no prior history of IC as the weight of the twins will be very different from a singleton. Get a second or third opinion on your options if it shows any sign of shortening - don’t wait. We lost our twins at 19 weeks and it still haunts me 3 years later, and maybe for the rest of my life. The car is meaningless compared to the lives of your children.

Slightly OT, but I wish you and family all the best with twins. Make sure they check the CL on a regular basis even if there were no prior history of IC as the weight of the twins will be very different from a singleton. Get a second or third opinion on your options if it shows any sign of shortening - don’t wait. We lost our twins at 19 weeks and it still haunts me 3 years later, and maybe for the rest of my life. The car is meaningless compared to the lives of your children.

Thank you for your kind words and advice - so sorry to hear about your loss. We have an appointment a week from today and I will ask the OB about cervical insufficiency, this makes sense but candidly is a new concept be me. Greatly appreciated.

We have an X and would also recommend it for you. Our previous car was a sedan and it was a hassle putting three small kids back there. Killed the back putting the middle one. Two in car seats in the sides and baby I was able to squeeze in the middle.
If you are willing to look at CPO S then trust me get the X. We just had our fourth so they all fit it in. Kids are now almost 8 almost 4, 2 and week old.

We're expecting, also. Due in late October. We're going in Thursday for the first real checkup. I'm REALLY hoping we only need one car seat, especially considering we have a 60lb Coonhound and a 30lb Beagle who will need to ride along too. With one car seat, it'll be tight, with 2, it will be impossible.

(By convincing my wife that she/we need a Model Y, though....anything is possible.....)

<quote>I can second this. We have my model 3 and my wife has the plug in Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.</quote>
Sounds like you will need a Tesla mini-van. lol. We are expecting out third this summer and we just got my wife her Pacifica coming from her Q5. I have my model 3. She loves her mini-van for the convenient. You need to choose either convenient or pride. With 2 little ones, the smart choice is convenient.

Our two kids play comp sports and so lots of carpooling as well. Keep that in mind.

Last edited: