Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"3 dot" menu won't swipe, fix found accidentally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Maybe a one-time freak thing but if this happens to you too... here's how to recover.

Situation: you may notice the 3 dot menu with no dot solid (selected) all dots are hollow empty circles. This is illogical because clearly the default stuff is showing normally in that space so at least one dot should be solid. The problem is if you try swiping left or right to access other stuff, nothing happens - that area of the screen is frozen with that content showing and the other 2 dots' worth of stuff remain inaccessible. Swipe .. swipe .. swipe .. nothing. Dots don't change, all dots are hollow.

Those dots remain inaccessible, as in Reboot... didn't help. Reboot... again. No change. All dots hollow. Swipe is dead.

Here's what worked for me: Make a phone call. Hands free, voice command, call somebody you love, not Tesla. When you do this, the 4th dot appears and its solid and phone stuff is now occupying that space while in the call, as it should. When the call is done hang up and the 4th dot goes away, now back to 3 dots but now one them is solid and that stuff is showing correctly in the space, and ... yeah! swiping works again! You can access all menus again by swiping left or right.

This was all on software 2018.50.6 4ec03ed

In all fairness it has been extremely cold around here lately, and maybe that piece of software was just legitimately frozen. :confused:

Experienced same problem. Load windshield wiper then swipe: that somehow fixed it for me.
this is the right answer. i know this because i've been trying to reproduce the problem before submitting an error report or creating a thread. to the best of my guesstimate - the cards get stuck when the wiper card is in focus and a different action, such as text, a phone call or otherwise overtakes the focus. the cards will return to the "plain" menu (no cards) or get stuck on a previous card, and swipe actions will be grayed out.

press the wiper button once and the cards will restore. i think you can also clear the cards by bringing up the wiper card by pressing the icon, but i haven't tested/can't confirm.