Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 SolarEdge 18XB7 Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that man! These kinds of issues are precisely why I'm reluctant to go with solaredge over enphase for a roof mount system I've been considering. It really seems like anywhere you look there are always these horror stories about solaredge and hardly any complaints against enphase. I think this thread has solidified my view on the issue. Was it just too expensive to go with micros over solaredge for your sized system or were there other factors at play?

Ouch! Sorry to hear that man! These kinds of issues are precisely why I'm reluctant to go with solaredge over enphase for a roof mount system I've been considering. It really seems like anywhere you look there are always these horror stories about solaredge and hardly any complaints against enphase. I think this thread has solidified my view on the issue. Was it just too expensive to go with micros over solaredge for your sized system or were there other factors at play?
I did not know about differences, just went with what the installer used.

Anything breaks, so just trying to take it in stride. But zero solar now. Guess when storm watch turns off will just
set batteries to 100% reserve, and let the grid charge in case I get a power outage. We have more big storms coming.
This winter seems like the never ending story :(

Boy, am I not having any luck. My second inverter just died today, with the same failure. Am waiting for a call back to get a second RMA.
So, I now have zero solar, for the best time of the year for production. Oh well, folks who think this stuff is install and do not worry about have no idea.
That seems suspicious. Likely the same batch of components in both, but to have both fail within days of each other is statistically unlikely. The explanation has always been a bad batch of components, but it seems more likely that there is a design flaw causing the failures.

We may be an anomoly but I have personally put in over 30 SolarEdge (70 total SolarEdge installs over 13 years by our company) systems and have yet to see an inverter issue. SolarEdge is our preferred inverter for roof mounted systems. I loke Sol-Ark for off grid but on-grid we put in more SolarEdge than anything else.

That seems suspicious. Likely the same batch of components in both, but to have both fail within days of each other is statistically unlikely. The explanation has always been a bad batch of components, but it seems more likely that there is a design flaw causing the failures.
These were put in at different times. The second one that just died I have already replaced. Seems weird that they both had the same failure, within days of each other. Interesting it happens with all the crazy power outages going on. People do with the lottery, guess it is my turn. :(

These were put in at different times. The second one that just died I have already replaced. Seems weird that they both had the same failure, within days of each other. Interesting it happens with all the crazy power outages going on. People do with the lottery, guess it is my turn. :(
The failure code is for a bad voltage on the capacitors, which was the original explanation of a bad batch of caps in 2018-2019. Mine went out few days after an outage back in September and I was wondering if the system might get unusual voltage/frequencies as it goes out or comes back on again. Although I would expect that the gateway would mitigate that and no other electronics in my house died.

We may be an anomoly but I have personally put in over 30 SolarEdge (70 total SolarEdge installs over 13 years by our company) systems and have yet to see an inverter issue. SolarEdge is our preferred inverter for roof mounted systems. I loke Sol-Ark for off grid but on-grid we put in more SolarEdge than anything else.
Were the units that you installed from the HD Wave series of inverters? That is what Tesla was installing.

Yea, I’m interested in a solark as well so that I can AC couple it to the enphase setup, if that’s what I end up doing. Would like to do an “off-grid” pergola, so that’s why I’m considering this. This being a Tesla forum we should not be surprised by smear campaigns, but when there are so many overwhelming stories about these solaredge failures, one has to wonder if your experience is truly an outlier. Anywhere I look on reddit and here, there are constant complaints and even anecdotes of installers in Florida no longer supporting solaredge. I’m just not sure in the end, but my thinking is that if I’m going to be putting something underneath the panel anyway, be it an optimizer that can fail or a microinverter, then I may as well make it an inverter and eliminate another potential point of failure (the central inverter). Unless installers get way better deals than what is readily available online, then the cost difference seems to be pretty minor…

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
How many failures have you had altogether?

Boy, am I not having any luck. My second inverter just died today, with the same failure. Am waiting for a call back to get a second RMA.
So, I now have zero solar, for the best time of the year for production. Oh well, folks who think this stuff is install and do not worry about have no idea.
I can only hope my SE7600HD doesnt die an early death, but I suspect it might. It seems that Solar Edge reliability is nowhere near where it used to be.

Yea, I’m interested in a solark as well so that I can AC couple it to the enphase setup, if that’s what I end up doing. Would like to do an “off-grid” pergola, so that’s why I’m considering this. This being a Tesla forum we should not be surprised by smear campaigns, but when there are so many overwhelming stories about these solaredge failures, one has to wonder if your experience is truly an outlier. Anywhere I look on reddit and here, there are constant complaints and even anecdotes of installers in Florida no longer supporting solaredge. I’m just not sure in the end, but my thinking is that if I’m going to be putting something underneath the panel anyway, be it an optimizer that can fail or a microinverter, then I may as well make it an inverter and eliminate another potential point of failure (the central inverter). Unless installers get way better deals than what is readily available online, then the cost difference seems to be pretty minor…
We have yet to have an issue with Sol-Ark on the 14 we installed. Their support is also the best of any inverter company we have dealt with.

We have yet to have an issue with Sol-Ark on the 14 we installed. Their support is also the best of any inverter company we have dealt with.
Sol Ark has many cool features and I think they are really hot right now. I mean who else makes an EMP hardened battery backup inverter?
Who else makes a 208V 3ph inverter with a 200A contact built in?
Who else has ups speed switchover?

Now they also have UL 9540 with a good few batteries I can see a great value proposition in any market. Easily my favorite player in the market, that isn't Tesla or Enphase.

At the recent Intersolar show they were even displaying their own optimizer, similar to what solar edge is doing. They want to offer module level RSD, DC-DC conversion, and monitoring all within the Sol-Ark ecosystem.

They also had a smart panel they were showing, though it wasn't as slick as a Span panel it was a similar idea.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Our system is over 2 years old with 24 panels, solaredge wave inverter and 2 Powerwalls. I noticed on the app that the solar panels dropped production to 0 starting 1 pm yesterday. I did the inverter power cycle and that did not help. I see a solid blue light, flashing green and an occasional red light. Is the inverter bad? I have solaredge app which can check status of the inverter and the error logs show 1 controller error which on checking detail shows an error code with 'surge' text in it..not sure of thats relevant or so..I have opened a ticket yesterday using the Tesla app but no update yet.

I think you can log into your solaredge inverter and get the error code out of it. QR code on the side, login and pull the error code so you know what issue you’re looking at. Then call Tesla and/or SolarEdge… SolarEdge has usually been very responsive to me and my (non-Tesla) installer. Good luck

Our system is over 2 years old with 24 panels, solaredge wave inverter and 2 Powerwalls. I noticed on the app that the solar panels dropped production to 0 starting 1 pm yesterday. I did the inverter power cycle and that did not help. I see a solid blue light, flashing green and an occasional red light. Is the inverter bad? I have solaredge app which can check status of the inverter and the error logs show 1 controller error which on checking detail shows an error code with 'surge' text in it..not sure of thats relevant or so..I have opened a ticket yesterday using the Tesla app but no update yet.
Welcome to the club. :(

I'm on my 3rd Solar-Edge inverter. I've had Tesla solar since October 2019. Being in AZ, I think it's heat related issues as all 3 have had failing capacitors that has led to the issue of it no longer converting energy from the solar panels. Every unit has been covered by the warranty, but it sure is a bummer when it doesn't work since you lose money each day your panels are not able to produce energy. I can't remember the error code that I received when scanning the QR code on the side of the Solar-Edge unit, but it did have some type of code that I sent to the Tesla people on the app. I know Solar-Edge is the big name, but maybe the Tesla inverter that I've seen them have on their newer install houses with the Power Wall is better. I hope all goes well for you with service. I've had good experience with Tesla service each time they came out to replace the inverter but both times since the original install took 7-10 days before I was operational again.

Welcome to the club. :(
Looks like I have the same error

Attachments

• IMG_6262.PNG
    IMG_6262.PNG
    355.3 KB · Views: 95