Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 SolarEdge 18XB7 Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're going on your second and I'm on my third since October 2019. Somehow, that makes me question the reliability of these Solar Edge products even though they are a staple name in that space. Not sure if they're just using cheap capacitors, or if they have an overall flaw to their design. I would expect the inverter unit to last longer than this or to be built to better heat/voltage tolerances considering they're placed outside in sometimes very warm environments and sometimes in direct sunlight. When the warranty runs out, and these inverters being expensive to replace/install, will Solar still be cost effective if we're having to foot the bill on our own?
Good chance there could be an issue with tesla not wiring properly or you are undersize. What is the capacity of your inverter and solar panels? I have a 7.6 setapp solaredge with 10.4kw system.

Looks like my inverter failed after about just 2 years. Spike in output at dawn and then 0 power generation. Reset = 0.
Looks like these inverters are not very reliable and subject to early/frequent failures. Tesla closed until Monday. If these failures are recurrent as reported above it makes having roof top solar uneconomical.

Looks like my inverter failed after about just 2 years. Spike in output at dawn and then 0 power generation. Reset = 0.
Looks like these inverters are not very reliable and subject to early/frequent failures. Tesla closed until Monday. If these failures are recurrent as reported above it makes having roof top solar uneconomical.
Inverter failures happen; nothing is perfect. Call Tesla Monday, get an appointment for a replacement, if that's what is diagnosed, and keep calling them to manage the process.

As they are supposed to have a ten year plus lifespan, I think a little perspective is warranted. You aren't buying a new inverter now. When the inverter fails out of warranty, then yes, you are out of pocket. When I ran my ROI calculations for solar ROI, I built in the cost of replacing every inverter at the end of the warranty period as a placeholder for worst case. Every day that they function past their warranty date just improves the ROI.

Good luck on the replacement.

BG

Reactions: h2ofun
My replacement SE 10000 just went (and by just I mean 3 weeks ago but I just checked the app today). Man I wish we would be notified when they blow. Lost the first last May and now this was mid June, last time took 3 months to replace. I'm really sick of losing peak production 2 years in a row!!!

My replacement SE 10000 just went (and by just I mean 3 weeks ago but I just checked the app today). Man I wish we would be notified when they blow. Lost the first last May and now this was mid June, last time took 3 months to replace. I'm really sick of losing peak production 2 years in a row!!!
If it is another 90 days, what do you think your total losses will have been? ( kWh/$?)

It must really add salt to the wounds not to get notified.

My Solar installer guaranteed production. So if it went off line they paid me lost production and SRECs.