Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 SolarEdge 18XB7 Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you can log into your solaredge inverter and get the error code out of it. QR code on the side, login and pull the error code so you know what issue you’re looking at. Then call Tesla and/or SolarEdge… SolarEdge has usually been very responsive to me and my (non-Tesla) installer. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_6262.PNG
    IMG_6262.PNG
    355.3 KB · Views: 116
I'm on my 3rd Solar-Edge inverter. I've had Tesla solar since October 2019. Being in AZ, I think it's heat related issues as all 3 have had failing capacitors that has led to the issue of it no longer converting energy from the solar panels. Every unit has been covered by the warranty, but it sure is a bummer when it doesn't work since you lose money each day your panels are not able to produce energy. I can't remember the error code that I received when scanning the QR code on the side of the Solar-Edge unit, but it did have some type of code that I sent to the Tesla people on the app. I know Solar-Edge is the big name, but maybe the Tesla inverter that I've seen them have on their newer install houses with the Power Wall is better. I hope all goes well for you with service. I've had good experience with Tesla service each time they came out to replace the inverter but both times since the original install took 7-10 days before I was operational again.
This is why I'm glad I have Enphase microinverters and not a single inverter. tesla should get on board and do microinverters.

Reactions: 3rror
You're going on your second and I'm on my third since October 2019. Somehow, that makes me question the reliability of these Solar Edge products even though they are a staple name in that space. Not sure if they're just using cheap capacitors, or if they have an overall flaw to their design. I would expect the inverter unit to last longer than this or to be built to better heat/voltage tolerances considering they're placed outside in sometimes very warm environments and sometimes in direct sunlight. When the warranty runs out, and these inverters being expensive to replace/install, will Solar still be cost effective if we're having to foot the bill on our own?

You filed a case with SolarEdge? Generally, they won't approve an RMA until a tech actually sees the unit in person. Have you reached out to your installer?

Edit: @jjrandorin This probably should be in this thread.

Yes, I think you are correct, and I am going to merge it there (which is likely where you will find it next time you look)

You're going on your second and I'm on my third since October 2019. Somehow, that makes me question the reliability of these Solar Edge products even though they are a staple name in that space. Not sure if they're just using cheap capacitors, or if they have an overall flaw to their design. I would expect the inverter unit to last longer than this or to be built to better heat/voltage tolerances considering they're placed outside in sometimes very warm environments and sometimes in direct sunlight. When the warranty runs out, and these inverters being expensive to replace/install, will Solar still be cost effective if we're having to foot the bill on our own?
When mine failed before the 2 year mark, I immediately bought their 25 year warranty for $214. The inverters are currently retailing for $1,800-$2,200 so for 1/10 of the cost to me they can replace their badly designed equipment until 2048 each time it fails.

When mine failed before the 2 year mark, I immediately bought their 25 year warranty for $214. The inverters are currently retailing for $1,800-$2,200 so for 1/10 of the cost to me they can replace their badly designed equipment until 2048 each time it fails.
Yep, I also bought the 25 year on both of my inverters. Do you know if this warranty also covers the labor for an installer to put in?

Yep, I also bought the 25 year on both of my inverters. Do you know if this warranty also covers the labor for an installer to put in?
It is for the inverter only, labor is on us.

All costs, including, without limitation, labor, travel, and boarding costs of SolarEdge service personnel or others that are incurred for labor relating to repairs, uninstalling, and reinstalling of Products on-site, as well as costs related to the buyer’s employees and contractors repair or replacement activities, are not covered by the Limited Warranty and, unless otherwise agreed in writing in advance by SolarEdge, will be borne by the buyer.

Tesla opened a case 2 days back as they are the installer. No update after that.
wow. Found from Solaredge that they have already shipped a new inverter to Tesla (Chatsworth CA) office in L.A area. Tesla (Chatsworth) was the one who installed my solar panels. Per UPS tracking they should be receiving it today. I chatted with Tesla energy and they said once shipment is received within a day or 2, they will setup an appointment and I will get notifications on the app. Impressed with speed. I was afraid I would have to wait for 2 months.

wow. Found from Solaredge that they have already shipped a new inverter to Tesla (Chatsworth CA) office in L.A area. Tesla (Chatsworth) was the one who installed my solar panels. Per UPS tracking they should be receiving it today. I chatted with Tesla energy and they said once shipment is received within a day or 2, they will setup an appointment and I will get notifications on the app. Impressed with speed. I was afraid I would have to wait for 2 months.
The RMA experience that both you and @h2ofun are having is vastly different than it has been over the last couple of years for others, including myself. I hope that SolarEdge will be able to keep up with the same response time going forward. What I really hope for though is that SolarEdge has solved the capacitor failure issue with the HD Wave line of inverters or that they start sending replacements for a new line that has better reliability.

Reactions: h2ofun
The RMA experience that both you and @h2ofun are having is vastly different than it has been over the last couple of years for others, including myself. I hope that SolarEdge will be able to keep up with the same response time going forward. What I really hope for though is that SolarEdge has solved the capacitor failure issue with the HD Wave line of inverters or that they start sending replacements for a new line that has better reliability.
Since my first failure was like a year ago, I have to assume they just have a poor design?