Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

32 Amp Circuit on Wall charger question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't heard of a 2 Phase Installation either.
Generally if you've installed the Device on a 32 Amp Circuit with appropriate size wiring I would think you should have used a 40 Amp Circuit Breaker.
If this is the case 32 Amp Operation should be fine.
If it is actually a 32 Amp Breaker only, I'd be include to set the Gen3 Charger to 80% of that for safeties sake and look at 24-25A Maximum.

Yes its a rural location with 2 phase quite common. The wall charger actually does have a 2 phase section in the manual. Its set to 20 amps which is power company limit (ergon). I guess Its good to know i could go a bit higher if I have to,

Just as a note, a 32A circuit breaker with a 32A load continually is not going to disconnect. Perhaps at 32.5A it MAY pop after a week of continual load. It's just so low in the thermal tripping curve.

Its okay to just say put it on a 40A breaker, but then you have to size cables for 40A rather than 32A.
Yea the sparky installed it all with future upgrades in mind. So its on a 40amp circuit with very thick orange cable so im sure its all good.

Yes its a rural location with 2 phase quite common. The wall charger actually does have a 2 phase section in the manual. Its set to 20 amps which is power company limit (ergon). I guess Its good to know i could go a bit higher if I have to,
As pointed out by @[Zombie] the car won't do more than 16A per phase if more than one phase is active anyway.

Reactions: daforce