Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$35,000 Model 3 SR is back! *

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huge. How often does Apple change prices on its own devices from its own web site? Not often. But Amazon/B&H, Best Buy etc? They have sales on Apple products all the time.

And that's Apple's pricing model which had come under attack by the pc/android users out there, being so expensive yada yada (yet none of them are making a profit on their phones unless maybe Samsung who jumped in and is now offer phones at the pricing level that Apple does). And those are 3rd parties involved in those sales you mentioned. Apple's kind of like the traditional car manufacturer/dealership model if you think about it. It makes its set profit from the other stores carrying its products and let's them set pricing, and their margins, within a range I suspect.

As we know, Tesla doesn't have dealerships to run the "sales" like traditional car dealerships, nor does it do advertising like they do, so this is their way of setting margin goals related to production and offering "sale" pricing when it can to spur interest. No one likes stagnant products. Besides it's not Tesla's pricing model. Different product, different margins, different company. I find it fascinating that people seemingly want to control how Tesla does business including how it sets pricing.

Last edited:
All the financial analysts/doomsters are pointing out that despite Tesla's production challenges, their long term problem (to becoming a profitable car manufacturer) is actually lack of demand. The S and X are old designs and US orders of the 3 are declining. The problem is that Teslas, even the 3, are still seen as luxury cars rather than mass market cars. Until that changes, so say the analysts, Tesla will never make money. I think this is a reasonable view and is almost certainly why they are so desperate to make good on the $35k model.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
All the financial analysts/doomsters are pointing out that despite Tesla's production challenges, their long term problem (to becoming a profitable car manufacturer) is actually lack of demand. The S and X are old designs and US orders of the 3 are declining. The problem is that Teslas, even the 3, are still seen as luxury cars rather than mass market cars. Until that changes, so say the analysts, Tesla will never make money. I think this is a reasonable view and is almost certainly why they are so desperate to make good on the $35k model.

I totally agree on the price. $39k for a SR+ isn't really in the same range as a Accord or Camry. If they want to move millions they really need to get that SR down to like $30k (probably with a cloth interior) and the SR+ pushed down to like $34-$36k. They're still very much Merc, BMW, Lexus range and are out selling those cars, so they're nailing that target, but down market is really the mass sales numbers...

(And you can talk all you want about cost savings without gas and such but people may not want to take a $40k loan out when they could take a $28k loan or something for the Accord)

Reactions: duanra
You're still buying from a dealer.

I don't really understand the defenders of the constant price shifting. So often we talk about how Tesla does things so differently, and Tesla 4 LYFE because "other companies don't get it." But when their pricing is all over the map, we just say - oh, well, other car companies do the same.

I don't have a problem with price shifting and adjustments, but with Tesla it feels like too much, too quickly. But if they need to do it to survive or please the shareholders, so be it.
Most incentives available at the dealership are coming from the manufacturers in the form of rebates. So, both the manufacturer and dealer are regularly changing prices to move cars.