Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

35cm crack in rear windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a nice 35 cm crack in the rear windscreen of my 2021 M3 this morning. No sign of any impact so very curious. Will try to raise a service ticket on the app, but wondering if anyone had the same?

A4EBDA39-E69F-4C7D-8B14-B03B5A1E2A8C.jpeg
Hopefully will be treated under warranty but I’m expecting a protracted process…

Service booking already confirmed for Thursday. Received an estimate of £176.86 for the repair, but I'll argue the costs when I get there... Interestingly the repair includes installing O-ring on the power strut. Related...?
IMG_0663.jpeg

I doubt the o ring is connected to the rear windscreen issue, when you book a service appointment Tesla roll in any warranty defects. I had a service appointment for a wing mirror issue and they did the boot strut o ring at the same time (plus something else, I forget what now).

Am I missing something (or just being dense)?

Ignoring whether this gets repaired under warranty, £176.86 sounds very cheap - that's one big piece of glass on an M3. Surely they can't repair a crack that size. But still rather not pay at all for something that’s not my fault.
According the the estimate they are replacing the glass. So yes it is cheap, but still rather not pay for something that’s not my fault.

I’ll see how argumentative I feel at the appointment on Thursday.

Frankly, getting the glass replaced under warranty is an amazing result - I had the roof glass crack last year, no evidence of impact, and it cost nearly £1k to replace - although that was reimbursed by my insurer minus the usual glass excess. Had to have it done at Tesla as none of the insurer's glass companies could get hold of the glass at that time....

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Am I missing something (or just being dense)?

Ignoring whether this gets repaired under warranty, £176.86 sounds very cheap - that's one big piece of glass on an M3. Surely they can't repair a crack that size?
Sounds very cheap. Especially as it’s heated too. By comparison the windscreen replacement cost on an X is £1578. Now that is a big bit of glass.

Is £176 to inspect it or replace it?!!
According to the estimate: replace. This is what the estimate states:

Correction: Glass - Backlight (heat pump) (Remove & Replace) (cost £123.75 ex VAT)
Parts replaced or added: SEALANT, BETASEAL EXPRESS (£14.00). PRIMER, BETAPRIME, 10ML. (cost £9.63)

Now this must be an automated message because this can be back within a minute of me raising the service request. After raising the request, it came back with an additional question to categorise the service, and one was "rear windscreen crack, no impact", so this clearly is something that occurs frequently enough to create a category for it.

I'm expecting a message from the service centre on Monday, once a human had a chance to look at the request, stating this was just an automated message and the replacement will actually be £.... etc etc. I am also expecting that this will need to be claimed via the insurance glass cover, but want to see where this rabbit hole leads first.

I'm expecting a message from the service centre on Monday, once a human had a chance to look at the request, stating this was just an automated message and the replacement will actually be £.... etc etc. I am also expecting that this will need to be claimed via the insurance glass cover, but want to see where this rabbit hole leads first.
I think that covers it.

The 'O' ring is a 'passive recall' by the way. Had mine done while a rear light was being changed to a less foggy one. Service tech told me they will change any that haven't already been done whenever the car is available to them, but not a proper recall as such.

Reactions: Big_D
The girlfriend cracked my rear windscreen last month by slamming the boot whilst it was charging - trapping the charge cable between the boot and the glass.

Tesla quoted around £1200, but thankfully car insurance covered all glass for the £75 excess. Autoglass replaced it in a couple of hours - but had to take it to one of their service centres.

• Informative
Reactions: Big_D and Sean.
The girlfriend cracked my rear windscreen last month by slamming the boot whilst it was charging - trapping the charge cable between the boot and the glass.

Tesla quoted around £1200, but thankfully car insurance covered all glass for the £75 excess. Autoglass replaced it in a couple of hours - but had to take it to one of their service centres.
Thanks, that’s helpful to know. I’ll wait to see what (if anything) comes back from the Tesla SC on Monday. Want to see how far I get on a warranty claim first.

Ex-girlfriend surely? :p

But seriously, glad you got it sorted for a nominal sum.

@Big_D - a crack without any obvious point of impact ought to be done under warranty, it's been done for many people before from threads on here. The £176 quote is non-sensical though, no idea what that's actually a quote for because the glass itself is several hundred pounds. Fingers crossed either way!

Reactions: Big_D