Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first 3G dropout experience, and it's leading me to believe it might be location-based. A week ago I was at a Tesla Owners Club meeting at a location I do not regularly frequent. When the meeting ended at around 9:30 PM or so, my car was "sleeping" when I got back to it. (Wasn't aware the car went to sleep that early). When I got in, maps, Slacker etc. were working, but the signal meter said "E" rather than "3G". I've seen that before, and I think it means I'm on the "Edge" 2G network where 3G isn't available. Anyway, after about 5 minutes of driving, it dropped out and took a very long time to restore as others have reported. Still no issues at home or at work like this, and that's why I'm wondering if it has something to do with being parked in a weak signal area.

Oops, you might be right. I landed on the option that lets the car sleep only at night, but leave 3G Always Connected. As I wrote that, I thought that was the Energy Savings On setting with the assumption that "Off" left it off all the time. I have tried all of the different combinations over time and like this one. No waiting for the car to come alive and the app connects quickly, except in those very rare occasions where I'm in the car late at night. But even then, I don't have 3G connectivity issues under those conditions.

Do you use the phone app to check on the car before driving at any time? I think I am seeing a pattern of it dropping out when I access the car using the app before driving. I need to collect more data but it seems to happen much less often (and maybe not at all) when I don't.

Do you use the phone app to check on the car before driving at any time? I think I am seeing a pattern of it dropping out when I access the car using the app before driving. I need to collect more data but it seems to happen much less often (and maybe not at all) when I don't.

Actually, yes I do that a lot. Hasn't been an issue as far as I can tell.

I don't think it is location related as I get these problems when leaving my house and also when leaving my office. When I am not having these problems I get a full five bars in thess areas in my car and I always have a good signal on my phone, albeit on LTE on Rogers' network.

Knock on Aluminum but I have no connectivity issues at all. In my Driveway it is on WiFi and as soon as I leave it switches to 3G. I listen to Tunein radio and it drops for about 5 seconds after the switching from WiFi. On return the switch back to WiFi is seamless. Also since the 6.2 update, my Android App has no more problems accessing via WiFi. As of yesterday I am on the .188 release version. My trips so far have been to Buffalo, Mississauga, Waterloo, Elmira, Shelbourne, Orangeville, Thornbury, Collingwood, Barrie, Peterborough, Ajax, and Toronto. Except for the occasional 2 second drop-out, which I attribute to location, I am a happy camper.
Big test will be in 2 weeks to the "Sound of Silence" trip to Custer SD.

I got the same reply from the SC that if we keep the Energy Saving mode and the Range mode switched off, we will not have this problem. That is completely not true - and I think they are just saying it because they don't have an answer. For me, it did not help at all. (I am on 2.4.188).

And then, I had to give my car for an unrelated issue and got a P85D as a loaner. I noticed that this one had the same problem as well. The 3G took anywhere between 2 and 20 minutes to connect. Sometimes the bars were there with no 3G and at other times no bars.

Both of our Model S 's hadn't made a connection for several weeks. Update 2.4.188 was loaded in both on Friday, and now one works and one doesn't. We have one P85 and one 85 -- one U.S. Signature 85 and one Canadian Sig P85. The U.S. Sig (VIN 00166) works, and the Canadian one doesn't. Unfortunately, the one that doesn't connect is the one we are taking on a trans-continental three month trip beginning in early May. Not quite the elimination of range anxiety I had expected!

Since my P85D has no problems connecting, I was wondering what might be different or improved. Only thing I can think of is that on the day of intended delivery I got a call that it would be delayed because the GPS was not working and they had to replace a "wire". Who knows what was replaced. Maybe new antennas were installed and a side effect is the decent 3G connectivity.

My connectivity issues are back. This morning it took 14 minutes to connect into the mothership. So I had to listen to Spotify on my phone via BT to the Tesla - but that was streaming over Rogers, the same network that the car could not connect to.

Im also getting connectivity issues. How do I reboot the large 17" screen? So far I can only reboot the dashboard screen (by pressing the two buttons on my steering wheel).

Reboot Dashboard : Hold the 2 UPPER button on the steering wheel for 10sec and release, it will then reboot.
Reboot 17" Screen : Hold the 2 scroll wheel button on the steering wheel until it reboots (around 5-10sec).

My connectivity issues are back.

I was staying at a buddy's summer cottage and after the first day, I noticed quite a bit of vampire losses so I turned Energy Savings On and unticked the Always Connected box for the remainder of the stay. When I departed yesterday morning, I had no 3G and it never did come back after 15 minutes of driving. I stopped for a coffee and re-booted the 17" which, after the usual long delay, brought my 3G back.

As I've mentioned before, I do not seem to experience this type of thing at home or at work, but as I pay close attention, I am having problems at other locations that I don't frequent as often. Not sure why this is, but the cottage was in a very weak 3G coverage area.