Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found that this issue is not resolved in 115 with energy saving on, always connected unchecked. I had 3G drop out and it did not come back for 15 minutes. I had to reboot centre console. At least now you can play the buffered slacker song over and over. Tesla why is this still happening?

Just found that this issue is not resolved in 115 with energy saving on, always connected unchecked. I had 3G drop out and it did not come back for 15 minutes. I had to reboot centre console. At least now you can play the buffered slacker song over and over. Tesla why is this still happening?

Just when I was thinking this was resolved.... Duckjybe; I hope for the rest of us that now it's only you ;)

I was seeing 3G disconnects 3 or 4 times a week and sometimes that many in a day. Since it was updated to 6.1 Jan-25 and then 2.2.115 on Jan-29, I've not had any disconnects. I've tried it with engery savings on / off and always connected on / off. As always, I rebooted following the update.

Just when I was thinking this was resolved.... Duckjybe; I hope for the rest of us that now it's only you ;)

I was seeing 3G disconnects 3 or 4 times a week and sometimes that many in a day. Since it was updated to 6.1 Jan-25 and then 2.2.115 on Jan-29, I've not had any disconnects. I've tried it with engery savings on / off and always connected on / off. As always, I rebooted following the update.

sorry to tell you but he is not the only one still suffering form this issue. The only way to work around it still seems to be to turn off both energy savings mode and always connected.

Still a problem here too after getting 6.1 and then the 6.1 update. I turned on energy savings and off with always connected and it takes about 5 minutes into my drive before it will connect to 3G.

I don't really mind though since I don't like the delay in having energy savings turned on and "nightly" mode is now gone so that's no longer an option. I don't really care about vampire drain (I don't even notice it but I'm not paying attention to losing a few miles) so even if it did work, I would probably still keep the energy savings turned off and keep it always connected.

If you click on the i icon for details on that screen, it sleeps at night now automatically.

I tried out power saving with always connected off but the wait is far too irritating to use the mobile app. Sometimes it takes multiple cycles of opening the app to connect to my car. The notes do say that it can take several minutes to establish a 3G connection after "starting" the car.

Still a problem here too after getting 6.1 and then the 6.1 update. I turned on energy savings and off with always connected and it takes about 5 minutes into my drive before it will connect to 3G.

I don't really mind though since I don't like the delay in having energy savings turned on and "nightly" mode is now gone so that's no longer an option. I don't really care about vampire drain (I don't even notice it but I'm not paying attention to losing a few miles) so even if it did work, I would probably still keep the energy savings turned off and keep it always connected.

I am no longer convinced this issue is directly related to the sleep mode. I started with a decent connection this morning and it wasn't until half-way through my morning commute that I lost the connection. A "new" symptom I had was that the connection strength bars were stuck at 3 but there was no 3G label next to them. Like always a reboot fixed it but I waited a good half-hour before rebooting to give it a chance to recover.

I have .140 and tried Energy saving mode ON and still had 3G dropping intermittently. Anybody have any contact with Tesla? I am ready to send an email as this issue is really dragging on.
Have .115 and was a little embarrassed tonight showing how the iPhone app worked (NOT) from 50 ft away. No way to explain that one away. (YEG 7C so the app couldn't have been frozen)

Knock on wood or aluminum but i have had no connectivity problems since delivery end of January. When car is sitting in driveway it is connected to WiFi and it switches immediately to 3G once I start driving. No problems of disconnection on trips to Peterborough, Thornbury and Brampton and numerous city trips. I am still on .139 firmware and Energy savings off and Always connected on.

Knock on wood or aluminum but i have had no connectivity problems since delivery end of January. When car is sitting in driveway it is connected to WiFi and it switches immediately to 3G once I start driving. No problems of disconnection on trips to Peterborough, Thornbury and Brampton and numerous city trips. I am still on .139 firmware and Energy savings off and Always connected on.

Issue is with energy saving on. Try it and let us know.

I have .140 and tried Energy saving mode ON and still had 3G dropping intermittently. Anybody have any contact with Tesla? I am ready to send an email as this issue is really dragging on.

I think I've had more flavors of 6.1 than any other version of the firmware over my two years of ownership. I'm now on 2.2.179. However, I have not had any of the connectivity issues that others seem to be experiencing. I typically use Energy Savings OFF; Always Connected but have tried the other settings as well. My only issue with having it ON is that it will take a long time for the phone to connect to the car. My 3G connectivity has been rock solid. Could this be a hardware issue or some sort of interference issue I wonder?

Another observation with the new software is I am getting 5 3G bars much of the time now. I don't even remember getting 5 bars much at all before. I wonder if they have switched providers?
Apparently Rogers and Bell/Telus have just implemented a domestic roaming agreement . Maybe that is what is behind this improved coverage? If you are on an iPhone and use Rogers you would see a carrier of Rogers-EXT. The Tesla doesn't show a carrier so it is hard to tell, but I have never seen this on my iPhone or iPad.

I seem to get my connection dropping or not coming on as much or more often with energy saving disabled and always connected turned on. It's really strange that only a few of us are experiencing the issue. I'll have 4-5 bars and no 3G icon and therefore so signal. It can stay like that for >30 minutes at a time...

I'll have 4-5 bars and no 3G icon and therefore so signal. It can stay like that for >30 minutes at a time...

While I haven't been experiencing the dropping issues, I have noticed this if/when I have to re-boot the 17" screen. I will see the bars, but it takes the 3G icon quite a while to come back. For me, it's more like 5 minutes, but I'm not sure why it takes even that long. Maybe something to do with negotiating all of the roaming parameters to connect to AT&T in the US???

OK, i turned energy saving on with "Always Connected". Change is that when opening car door, a Tesla logo is displayed in the instrument panel. I guess it is waking up. On the main screen, the 3G bars are missing for about 2 to 3 minutes of driving. Then the 3G bars appear and it is connected. I experienced no drops during driving in the Collingwood / Thornbury area.

OK, i turned energy saving on with "Always Connected". Change is that when opening car door, a Tesla logo is displayed in the instrument panel. I guess it is waking up. On the main screen, the 3G bars are missing for about 2 to 3 minutes of driving. Then the 3G bars appear and it is connected. I experienced no drops during driving in the Collingwood / Thornbury area.

Ditto.

I've had my car set to Energy Saving ON with Always Connected since I got 6.1. I wasn't seeing the 3G connection drop for a while, and then around the end of February in the Ottawa area, it dropped several times for 5 to 10 minutes, usually at the start of a drive (leaving home or after being parked for a while). Then I spent 10 days in the US where I never saw the 3G connection drop once, and then today when I came back to Canada, it dropped again as soon as I crossed the border for 15 minutes and then stayed on EDGE (E symbol) for another 10-15. This was along the 401 between the 1000 Islands Bridge and the 416. This really does seem to be a Canada-specific thing, and it seems to be location-specific, so maybe Tesla's connectivity provider is using a local network provider that has spotty coverage in some areas. Looking at coverage maps of the various providers, it looks like Telus has a bit of a gap in that stretch of the 401...

I have been running with Energy Savings On and Always Connected NOT checked and have been having good success with .140. The only thing is sometimes I get 5 bars for a day or so (which is not correct) or I get no bars for a day or so even though my internet is working fine. I did try Always Connected checked with Energy Saving ON and I actually had one dropped 3G over the course of 3 days. I am sticking with Always Connected unchecked as I don't mind the App taking a bit of time to connect. Also now that the slacker music is buffered better, it starts to play the last song for the minute or so it takes the 3G to connect on startup.

All this may be moot once we get 6.2.

All this may be moot once we get 6.2.

I've only had my car for a few days (2 weeks) and I've noticed the problem right away. On 6.1, when "Always Connected" was not selected and with or without energy saving ON, I always get 10-15min of no data on my drive home (downtown montreal in a parking garage -> north shore). Selecting "Always Connected" fixes the problem. (tested with Energy Saving OFF).

Got 6.2 yesterday. Energy Saving was off, always connected was checked : no problems.
Today : Energy Saving was off, always connected wasn't checked : same issue

Edit : second test tonight. Energy Saving ON, Always Connected Checked : had the issue.

Last edited: