Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the issue regularly. I thought at first it was related to being associated with a weak wifi access point, but I've seen it randomly where no wifi is available. Moving in and out of 3G areas does seem to do it as well. Perhaps the roaming mode has issues with handoffs between cell sites. Often I see the signal appear and disappear, the '3G' will show up, vanish, return...

Worst case, I lost the connection for about 24 hours. I did a reboot on the computer at one point... that didn't fix it immediately, but I got a connection a few hours later. Likely unrelated to the boot.

It is getting quite annoying - went for a drive a week or so ago and wanted to leave the dog in the car for 15 minutes (or maybe less) while going into the DQ for a treat. The app couldn't connect to the car, so I couldn't remotely start the AC or keep an eye on it in the heat. No way I could risk leaving the beast in the car, so that was that. First world problems, I know, but I still think it should work as advertised!

I would love to know if the new LTE cars also have this issue. Is it network related or firmware related?

I downloaded .251 last night. This morning on my commute, for the first time ever, I had a dropout. It is on a spot on Hwy 401 where I know the signal to be weak. Usually I drop down to two bars in this area, and one bar if it's raining, but I don't lose connectivity. It was clear and sunny this morning. I have 2.5 years of experience on this commuting route, so I've gotten to know my patterns.

I timed it and it was only out for two minutes. All the bars went away. The bars came back, then a minute or so later I got an E symbol, then almost immediately the 3G symbol.

No problem at all flipping from WiFi in my garage to 3G as I left the house, however.

I'll have to keep an eye out to see if .251 has negatively affected me.

I downloaded .251 last night. This morning on my commute, for the first time ever, I had a dropout. It is on a spot on Hwy 401 where I know the signal to be weak. Usually I drop down to two bars in this area, and one bar if it's raining, but I don't lose connectivity. It was clear and sunny this morning. I have 2.5 years of experience on this commuting route, so I've gotten to know my patterns.

I timed it and it was only out for two minutes. All the bars went away. The bars came back, then a minute or so later I got an E symbol, then almost immediately the 3G symbol.

No problem at all flipping from WiFi in my garage to 3G as I left the house, however.

I'll have to keep an eye out to see if .251 has negatively affected me.

Remind us of your Energy savings settings?

Remind us of your Energy savings settings?

Tried various settings but stay with Energy Savings Off, Always Connected.

With Always Connected Off, it was a pain waiting for the mobile app to connect. It still "sleeps" at night with this setting, but I don't have to wait for the system to boot up every time I get in the car during the day. If I head to the cottage for the weekend and plan not to plug in, I switch to Energy Savings On and un-tick Always Connected. Saves me a little bit of range, although not really that much.

EDIT: No dropout on that spot on the 401 this morning either.

I now have the same issue over the last week coinciding with the most recent update. Noticed when I went to put on Slacker radio....nothing. Then noticed that no bars were present although I can also connect in my garage to WiFi. So what should I do? Scanning the forum for a fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone else still having this issue? My latest software update was installed on Sunday but I still have random 3G outages in areas that have perfect cell signals - yesterday I had about a 10 minute outage from the time I left home until it kicked in.

Yes same issue here.Argh

I received .253 yesterday and immediately set Energy Savings ON and always connected UNCHECKED. So far so good but it is early days. I will report back whether this release has finally fixed the 3G drop issue with these settings.

- - - Updated - - -

I now have the same issue over the last week coinciding with the most recent update. Noticed when I went to put on Slacker radio....nothing. Then noticed that no bars were present although I can also connect in my garage to WiFi. So what should I do? Scanning the forum for a fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes same issue here.Argh

What are your Energy savings settings? What release number is your update?

Updated to .253 yesterday, connectivity today was excellent, I even tracked my family driving around on errands, which I wasn't able to do last week, might not be due to this update, but it is unusual that it "just worked".

energy saving = off
always connected = on

I tried energy saving = on and was not pleased with the usability of the Android app, so turned it off last week

Updated to .253 yesterday, connectivity today was excellent, I even tracked my family driving around on errands, which I wasn't able to do last week, might not be due to this update, but it is unusual that it "just worked".

energy saving = off
always connected = on

I tried energy saving = on and was not pleased with the usability of the Android app, so turned it off last week

I've never had any issues with your current settings, only with a Energy Savings ON.

I can confirm that the latest release (can't remember off the top but got it last week) does NOT solve 3G drop problem with Energy Saving Mode ON. I tried it and got frustrated with lack of Internet connectivity and turned it back off again (with always connected checked). I guess it's not solvable. Perhaps it's the hardware in my car??

I guess it's not solvable. Perhaps it's the hardware in my car??

I had to take a detour on my way home yesterday due to a traffic backup (the Tesla Nav actually did a good job) and went in to a no signal area. My 3G light went out, then all the bars disappeared, but the whole thing came back (bars and 3G) within about 30 seconds. Slacker didn't even skip a beat because I guess it had enough buffered. I wonder if it is some sort of hardware version thing. Tell you what: I'll swap my radio with yours if you swap your B-pack battery for my A-pack :biggrin:

I had to take a detour on my way home yesterday due to a traffic backup (the Tesla Nav actually did a good job) and went in to a no signal area. My 3G light went out, then all the bars disappeared, but the whole thing came back (bars and 3G) within about 30 seconds. Slacker didn't even skip a beat because I guess it had enough buffered.
Slacker buffers every song as it starts playing - you can see the progress bar on the screen(s) but it normally only takes a few seconds to download a song. So you should be good with tunes until that song ends. Then you are out of luck until your signal comes back as you can't request and download another song.

I drove Calgary to Kamloops yesterday. Slacker worked well until somewhere west of Canmore where the 3G signal got spotty. Eventually the bars disappeared altogether although my phone continued to receive mail and show several bars of 4G/LTE. Got to Golden, still nothing showing for bars. I left it until Revelstoke to see if it would come back. It didn't and I eventually did a boot (push and hold two rollers on steering wheel). Still nothing. I went into the wifi settings and magically my 3G bars appeared and eventually Slacker decided it would work again.

This is getting old and I'm almost to the point of opting for the LTE upgrade to see if the reliability might improve. 3G/4G/LTE might have seemed to be indistinguishable from magic in 1995... but this is 2015. If the mass-produced and abused cell phones can do it reliably, I don't know why the chipset and software in the car can't.

I drove Calgary to Kamloops yesterday. Slacker worked well until somewhere west of Canmore where the 3G signal got spotty. Eventually the bars disappeared altogether although my phone continued to receive mail and show several bars of 4G/LTE. Got to Golden, still nothing showing for bars. I left it until Revelstoke to see if it would come back. It didn't and I eventually did a boot (push and hold two rollers on steering wheel). Still nothing. I went into the wifi settings and magically my 3G bars appeared and eventually Slacker decided it would work again.

This is getting old and I'm almost to the point of opting for the LTE upgrade to see if the reliability might improve. 3G/4G/LTE might have seemed to be indistinguishable from magic in 1995... but this is 2015. If the mass-produced and abused cell phones can do it reliably, I don't know why the chipset and software in the car can't.
I have similar problem as yours, losing the 3G almost every other day that requires a reboot. Service center said that LTE will not solve the 3G problem. According to Tesla HQ, it is a software issue, and likely unique to Canada :mad:
If you decide to upgrade to LTE and found it to resolve the 3G problem, please post your experience. Thanks in advance.

I have similar problem as yours, losing the 3G almost every other day that requires a reboot. Service center said that LTE will not solve the 3G problem. According to Tesla HQ, it is a software issue, and likely unique to Canada :mad:
If you decide to upgrade to LTE and found it to resolve the 3G problem, please post your experience. Thanks in advance.
I'm at a point where I'm tempted to try the upgrade. Dropped out again yesterday and took two boots to get it working again. Sometimes I get the bars of signal back, see 3G for a few seconds, then just the bars... and waiting an hour doesn't bring back 3G. Obviously, no data flows when the 3G is not seen next to the bars. I've gone days before it has sorted itself out (well it did once, the other times I've given up waiting and resorted to a few re-boots).

This issue is getting old very fast. My guess has been that it's tied to building the IP tunnel back to the IoT provider, but that doesn't explain the missing '3G' (and isn't a valid excuse in any case). 3G was rocket science 20 years ago, but it's something that 'just works' on every smart phone out there today, so why it's a problem in the cars I can't begin to understand.