Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Phase Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:
The screen came back and is working okay. Tesla called and explained that they can replace the mmc but it doesn’t resolve the problem with the shut down of 3G.
Apparently Tesla tried to develop a replacement modem solution but couldn’t get it accepted by Telstra so gave up.
Not sure how I feel about that explanation but they are not offering that option.
The cost of an upgrade to MCU2 depends on your current hardware as older cars (mine) need more hardware updated than later cars. They delayed the appointment to Wednesday so they could figure out the cost in my case which turned out to be $2,780. As we are keeping the car for a few more years we went with the MCU2 upgrade.
Chatswood replaced the MCU in the day and when we went to pick it up the car was still in Service Mode, I would have used the opportunity to look around in Service mode but my SO was with me and we had things to do so I pressed the exit button and it came back to normal.
Plus points are:
Better screen resolution that make maps and the reversing camera clearer.
Faster response, possibly twice to three times faster.
Extra functionality such as total distances appear when you search for a destination and a new icon that tells you when your location is being recorded by an app and couple of new apps like Apple Podcast etc.
minus points:
4G coverage in regional areas is not as good as 3G currently and I loose map and traffic data in areas it worked in before.
Just this afternoon it lost maps and then I noticed it had switched to 3G to get map information.
Probably just my car but I have always used TuneIn more than any other app and they transferred my settings including the TuneIn login information. The favourite stations display but nothing will play I just get the spinning wait symbol. I’ve tried a number of things to try and log out of TuneIn so I can log back in but I can’t figure it out. Have logged a service call for the TuneIn problem and am using the app on my phone over Bluetooth in the meantime.
So not entirely happy now but once TuneIn is fixed I’ll probably be happier.