Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Phase Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With this date coming closer, are there any plans/procedures in place by Tesla for those with cars running 3G. I've done a couple of searches of the AU forum but nothing concrete in here.

Is it still a case of replacing the whole screen assembly? or can the modem be upgraded separately? or do we just Pair our phones from now on and use that as a hotspot for the car? (2015 Model S)

About a year ago or more, Alexandria service could only offer me a new MCU at $2,500 to resolve the end of 3G issue.
There is now a permanent error message when you tap the 3G or WiFi icon.
“This vehicle currently contains a 3G modem.
Staring in 2022, many cellular network operators are disbanding their 3G networks. To maintain cellular connectivity with more modern networks, this vehicle will need the LTE upgrade or an Infotainment Upgrade, depending on update type availability in your country. Etc”

So the resolution in one country does not suggest the same for another. I’m assuming it will require an MCU replacement and I will only do that when 3G is switched off.
I have tried to use my phone as a hot spot but it doesn’t seem to work for me and never connects successfully.

I believe it is possible just to upgrade the modem.

But as others have recommended might be best to upgrade to MCU2 at the same time...

Even more so if you still have an older 8GB eMMC that was prone to fail (although hopefully these have all been replaced by now under the 2021 recall).

I had my Battery fuse replaced last week and they changed the 8GB eMMC at the same time - so that has been done. Which makes me think that it might be as mentioned, just a modem change. (like why would you put the 8GB one in if the whole MCU is about to be made redundant). in any case, I'll price up the MCU change. I'm still umming and ahhing whether to upgrade the car. (8-9 years old now)

When the 2G network shut down, Nissan, who notoriously don’t care about maintenance or support of their NissanConnect EV service, issued replacement SIMs (and relevant hardware) to all vehicles free of charge. If Nissan did that, I have no doubt Tesla would do something similar.

• Funny
Reactions: bay74
We are talking pre 2018 Model Ss here.. got to be a point where the manufacturer isn't responsible for upgrades.

Remember the car is still usable as a car without this feature.

As above Tesla has charged ~US$200 for this in the US for similar cars.

When the 2G network shut down, Nissan, who notoriously don’t care about maintenance or support of their NissanConnect EV service, issued replacement SIMs (and relevant hardware) to all vehicles free of charge. If Nissan did that, I have no doubt Tesla would do something similar.

Yes, I had that done in March 2017. Telstra shut down 2G in December 2016, and about 2 months later Nissan contacted all owners (about 500 of us 🤣) to replace the TCU with a 3G capable version under warranty. Mind you, they had 2 years warning 2G closure was coming, why did they wait until after 2G was closed???

The irony is, Nissan completely shut down their telematics service in November 2021. Meaning no more data collection on the energy used by the car, data on trips taken, or viewing the world efficiency rankings which were kinda interesting. And the App ceased to work, no more starting a charge or turning on the AC remotely.

LEAFs don’t have WiFi either. So I am now left with a “dumb” car 🤣 that otherwise works fine.

• Love
Reactions: johnchidgey
Remember the car is still usable as a car without this feature.

But Tesla misses out on being able to record data from your car. Is that data worth the cost of a 4G modem...

Perhaps not, unless there are a significant number of 3G only cars.

I am a little bit surprised that Tesla aren't contacting owners of 3G only cars and encouraging them to upgrade at their own expense. But maybe this is slipped of the radar.

If connectivity is a standard inclusion of the car, then it is on the manufacturer to maintain it.
The car does not need a mobile signal (2/3/4/xg) to maintain standard connectivity which is just the navigation maps. These are periodically updated (as with other software updates) from time to time using wifi.

Premium connectivity on the other hand requires a mobile signal

Of course, Tesla prior to 2018?? have lifetime premium connectivity included.

Unless there is some fine print somewhere...

Which there almost certainly would be, like “cellular connectivity will only be available where there is a compatible 2G or 3G signal”.

If there’s something like that, then where there is no 3G signal, Tesla has not warranted there will be any connectivity, therefore Tesla is not liable when 3G is turned off.

Tesla could still choose to upgrade S/X modems to 4G at no cost out of the goodness of its heart, but I suspect it would be under no obligation under consumer law to do so.

Connecvity. Standard Connecvity is included in your Vehicle, at no addional cost, for eight (8) years beginning on the first day your vehicle was delivered as new by Tesla, or the first day it is put into service (for example used as a demonstrator or company vehicle), whichever comes first. A trial of Premium Connecvity will be included following delivery of the Vehicle. Once this trial is over as detailed at www.tesla.com/support/connecvity, you may subscribe to Premium Connecvity or your Vehicle will return to Standard Connecvity. Features included in Premium Connecvity are subject to change and may be limited or unavailable due to Obsolete Hardware. You understand and agree that the cellular or other network needed for any Connecvity isprovided by your local telecommunicaons company and other external providers, and that we are not liable for any parts, so@ware, upgrades or any other costs (including labour) needed to use or maintain network connecvity or compability with any features or services externally supplied to the Vehicle. Any connecvity issues (including for quality, funconality or coverage) or gaps in service unrelated to a hardware fault or failure are not covered by Tesla warranes

I think this version was 2023. Apologies, there seems to be some weird characters in that copy and paste. This has caused some apparent spelling mistakes. Look at the original.

If I look at the agreements with my car, purchased in 2016, I don't see anything like that.

Standard Connectivity is only for 8 years on new cars?

Reactions: Rockford
The car does not need a mobile signal (2/3/4/xg) to maintain standard connectivity which is just the navigation maps. These are periodically updated (as with other software updates) from time to time using wifi.
That is not true.

Standard Connectivity includes the use of the app to control charging, climate control and audio system, see the car's location, remotely start, remotely set/unset valet mode, and lock/unlock out of Bluetooth range. That all needs mobile connectivity.

I would get it done before that.

When 3G gets switched off, there will be a whole bunch of people suddenly wanting it done at the same time.

It will be like the passport offfice after COVID. Everyone who didn’t renew their passport during COVID suddenly needed one and the queues blew out to 12 weeks!
Clearly my car must have been listening to this conversation.
Used it yesterday morning, all was well, went to plug it in before going to bed and the central screen is blank, no T no lights, nothing. The instrument binnacle works fine and by holding onto the brake pedal I can get it into drive. Rang Tesla Roadside Service and all they can do is book it in for replacement, and contrary to previous experience when the drive unit died, they insist that the12V battery will continue to be maintained despite the MCU failure. We shall see, but in the meantime I’m charging my battery booster up. Ii’s booked in at Chatswood service on Monday at 9:15AM. 🫤
P.S. Yes, tried the two finger salutes etc and asked if there’s a fuse I can pull but apparently there isn’t; no response from the screen.

Reactions: divstar