Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse replacement warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, missed that he had a 2016 pack.

So, now the warning just says "battery fuse", not specifying which... and my 2013 does have a pyro fuse, it's just the one on the 12v battery, not the traction battery.

So, based on the experiences here, I assume this is the main pack fuse, not the 12V pyro fuse (which I don't believe has a separate lithium cell)

Ah, missed that he had a 2016 pack.

So, now the warning just says "battery fuse", not specifying which... and my 2013 does have a pyro fuse, it's just the one on the 12v battery, not the traction battery.

So, based on the experiences here, I assume this is the main pack fuse, not the 12V pyro fuse (which I don't believe has a separate lithium cell)
Right, the 12V fuse is just an externally driven pyro device, no smarts nor power.

I got this same warning a few days ago. I had a mobile service scheduled already, but when I added this issue, they told me I had to go into the SC (4hours away). That completely contradicts everything I’ve read here. What do I do now? I’ve got better things to do with my life than drive 8h for “nothing”

I got this same warning a few days ago. I had a mobile service scheduled already, but when I added this issue, they told me I had to go into the SC (4hours away). That completely contradicts everything I’ve read here. What do I do now? I’ve got better things to do with my life than drive 8h for “nothing”
It shouldn't contradict anything. If you have the battery style pyro fuse, it needs a service visit to replace it. What year/ model?

Reactions: MP3Mike
About 2 weeks ago, a warning appeared on my console with the following message, which would not go away under any circumstances:

Battery fuse requires replacement soon
OK to drive - Schedule service

View attachment 967891

Not knowing what it was, I did some searching. There's not a whole lot of info about what it is or what it does. Some say it's a non-powered fuse and has to get replaced with powered fuse. Some mix it with Pyro fuse which after much research, seems to be a different thing.

I scheduled service through the app and Tesla's Mobile Service showed up after a couple of days. Technician said that it's just a reconfiguration of the system and nothing needs to be replaced. He plugged in his laptop to the car, went into "Service Plus" mode and cleared the warning. But he did say that I wasn't even supposed to see that message. Don't know exactly what that means, but probably something in the last OTA update flipped a flag on an internal config and it has to be changed locally by a technician. Just a guess on my part. I found just 1 picture of the "Service mode" on Model S which said that "Battery fuse needs to be replaced by x date", somewhat like an expiration date, but there was no other explanation.

All is well now, but I wanted to share with you that if you see this annoying message, nothing needs to be replaced and the issue will go away after a 5 minute visit by a technician.
How much you paid for that service? I have same message on my S

Tesla just informed me that the Battery Fuse service is covered under the 8 year HV Battery Warranty in my 2017 Model S 75D. They even scheduled the service and said it is a same day fix. Glad I did not get charged for this! It does seem like a safety issue, so even if the battery warranty ran out I would think NHTSA might be interested in forcing a recall based on safety equipment. Tesla should not be charging ANYBODY for this! It's like a non-responsive airbag issue in terms of safety.

so even if the battery warranty ran out I would think NHTSA might be interested in forcing a recall based on safety equipment. Tesla should not be charging ANYBODY for this! It's like a non-responsive airbag issue in terms of safety.
There are many safety features that require normal maintenance, like brakes. Cars without brakes are very dangerous, but they do not replace them free. It is normal maintenance for the part.

Reactions: vcor