Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse replacement warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes a lot of sense. Honestly, if Tesla would do away with the $200 diagnostic fee, I will just pay the $301 and be done with it.
Tell them all you want them to do is replace the pyro fuse. The diagnostics should not be necessary when your car says the pyro fuse needs to be replaced, and this is a known item that gets replaced after a specified period of time.

Just came from the service center. They mentioned that diagnostics found that the battery heater/coolant is failing. Estimate just went from $500 for just the fuse replacement to $1200.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-21 113658.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 113658.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Screenshot 2023-09-21 113631.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 113631.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot 2023-09-21 113745.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 113745.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: DerbyDave
Dear Sean,

Received the same message. Tesla service is giving me an estimate of $551.53 (out of warranty) but with no explanation of what this is!

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,

Rob
Hi Rob,

Part of their estimate for me was to replace the CCS module and I could see that in my Service section of the app. This maybe because the diagnostics tells them that there's a CCS issue. After calling service and explaining to them what the screen says, they just adjusted the software configuration at no charge.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I just got my estimate on the replacement from the Danvers MA Service Center. All covered under battery warranty at no cost. This is for May 2017 Model X. Good news, looks like Tesla has agreed to cover this.
It is strange that a 2017 car asks to replace a fuse that has a service life of 10 years. Finally explain what is happening. Has Elon finally lost his mind? It would be better if they made the wipers work normally

Hi, I had the same message as OP about 3 weeks ago. I received my estimate and they’re saying $1,369.82?! Does that sound right? I have a Model S P85 2013. I attached the details of their quote and any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8689.jpeg
    IMG_8689.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 112
Hi, I had the same message as OP about 3 weeks ago. I received my estimate and they’re saying $1,369.82?! Does that sound right? I have a Model S P85 2013. I attached the details of their quote and any input is greatly appreciated.
They incorrectly put both Fuse remove and replace (pack 1.0/1.5) AND pack Remove and Replace.
Fuse R&R already includes the pack R&R.
Only the first correction code is needed of the two and it sounds like Tesla is doing it as warranty.

They also have a pack reseal, I'm not sure what that is.

They incorrectly put both Fuse remove and replace (pack 1.0/1.5) AND pack Remove and Replace.
Fuse R&R already includes the pack R&R.
Only the first correction code is needed of the two and it sounds like Tesla is doing it as warranty.

They also have a pack reseal, I'm not sure what that is.
Thanks for the input. They said they corrected it and resent, now it’s $1,407.19????! (Attached revised estimate) SMH.. Do I have any alternative options for repair or am I forced to get with this? Was not expecting an increase..
Good news is some tesla service centers are doing this under battery warranty. Make sure to ask. I dont know about the older ones that are out of warranty already
Good news is some tesla service centers are doing this under battery warranty. Make sure to ask. I dont know about the older ones that are out of warranty already
Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• IMG_8690.jpeg
    IMG_8690.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for the input. They said they corrected it and resent, now it’s $1,407.19????! (Attached revised estimate) SMH.. Do I have any alternative options for repair or am I forced to get with this? Was not expecting an increase..

Thanks for the input!
Still looks wrong, price increase is due to having the wrong fuse in the first quote.

See post:
Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D
and the rest of that thread.

Still looks wrong, price increase is due to having the wrong fuse in the first quote.

See post:
Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D
and the rest of that thread.
SC said “that is not correct. All three codes are needed for this process.”

I’m confused because in order to remove the fuse they need to remove the batter

Any other suggestions or am I just SOL and have to live with this cost? Or anyone have any experience/reccs on third party Tesla repairs in SoCal?

SC said “that is not correct. All three codes are needed for this process.”

I’m confused because in order to remove the fuse they need to remove the batter

Any other suggestions or am I just SOL and have to live with this cost? Or anyone have any experience/reccs on third party Tesla repairs in SoCal?
Maybe the invoice splits it out, but it should all be under one time code.
From the service manual:
Flat Rate Times General All correction codes also have an associated Flat Rate Time (FRT) that indicates how long it takes to perform an entire procedure. FRTs represent the amount of hands-on time (administrative, diagnostic, etc. is not included), and are calculated by trained professionals performing the procedure in a controlled environment numerous times. The FRTs are listed in decimal hours. For example, a procedure with an FRT of 1.1 takes 1 hour and 6 minutes to perform. A procedure with an FRT of 0.25 takes 15 minutes to perform. The minimum FRT time is 0.05, or 3 minutes. Unless explicitly mentioned in a procedure, the correction code FRT for any given procedure is all inclusive, and encompasses all work required to complete the procedure, even if that procedure is at top-level and has subordinate procedures. Similarly, the correction codes FRTs of all subordinate procedures within a top-level procedure are included (but hidden) within the top-level procedure's correction code FRT. To prevent redundant and incorrect billing of FRT time, do not add the correction code FRTs of subordinate procedures individually to the correction code FRT of the top-level procedure. Instead, bill only the top-level correction code FRT.
SmartSelect_20231020_093734_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231020_094107_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231020_093958_Firefox.jpg

SmartSelect_20231020_094128_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: greenbert
I received the battery fuse replacement notice (BMS_u031) on my April 2016 MX P90DL this week. Apparently it will take an hour at the local Service Center and will be covered under the battery pack warranty (BTW, I’m at 84k miles). Very nice that Tesla is being proactive on this issue!

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpeg
    IMG_0174.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: mongo