Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse replacement warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Model X P100D had this fuse replacement done (because of warning) a couple of months ago, so I called the Tesla SC about getting a refund. The service advisor called me back and said Tesla was handling it at a higher level and refunding all customers automatically. He didn't know the timing, so if anyone finds anything out there please post.

Reactions: David Harvey
My 2017 Model X P100D had this fuse replacement done (because of warning) a couple of months ago, so I called the Tesla SC about getting a refund. The service advisor called me back and said Tesla was handling it at a higher level and refunding all customers automatically. He didn't know the timing, so if anyone finds anything out there please post.
What month is your X from 2017?

I took our P100DL to Savannah ga service center to get the fuse replaced. I made it 6 miles from the service center and the new fuse blew. It was on hard acceleration. Had to get towed and my roadside was expired but I think they are going to reimburse me. While I was sitting in the car on the side of the road the 12v died. I’m going to push them to replace it because I know that 12v fails after you kill the HV battery. Frustrating. I’m staying a a friends house in Savannah because I didn’t want to drive three hours home in their loaner. The frustrating part is that the other fuse was seemingly working just fine.

I took our P100DL to Savannah ga service center to get the fuse replaced. I made it 6 miles from the service center and the new fuse blew. It was on hard acceleration. Had to get towed and my roadside was expired but I think they are going to reimburse me. While I was sitting in the car on the side of the road the 12v died. I’m going to push them to replace it because I know that 12v fails after you kill the HV battery. Frustrating. I’m staying a a friends house in Savannah because I didn’t want to drive three hours home in their loaner. The frustrating part is that the other fuse was seemingly working just fine.
They may have installed the smaller current rating fuse (2,000) instead of the larger (2,366). What does the paperwork say?

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
which year is your car?

Got this done yesterday on my 2014 P85D with a 2016 100kWh battery.

1699535654882.png

About 2 weeks ago, a warning appeared on my console with the following message, which would not go away under any circumstances:

Battery fuse requires replacement soon
OK to drive - Schedule service

View attachment 967891

Not knowing what it was, I did some searching. There's not a whole lot of info about what it is or what it does. Some say it's a non-powered fuse and has to get replaced with powered fuse. Some mix it with Pyro fuse which after much research, seems to be a different thing.

I scheduled service through the app and Tesla's Mobile Service showed up after a couple of days. Technician said that it's just a reconfiguration of the system and nothing needs to be replaced. He plugged in his laptop to the car, went into "Service Plus" mode and cleared the warning. But he did say that I wasn't even supposed to see that message. Don't know exactly what that means, but probably something in the last OTA update flipped a flag on an internal config and it has to be changed locally by a technician. Just a guess on my part. I found just 1 picture of the "Service mode" on Model S which said that "Battery fuse needs to be replaced by x date", somewhat like an expiration date, but there was no other explanation.

All is well now, but I wanted to share with you that if you see this annoying message, nothing needs to be replaced and the issue will go away after a 5 minute visit by a technician.
Helpful to know. This “popped up” this morning on my 2016 Model X 90D. Guess there will be A LOT of these notifications for the 2015-2016 Model Years. Scheduled for service in about 10 days. Thanks for posting your experience with this!

Helpful to know. This “popped up” this morning on my 2016 Model X 90D. Guess there will be A LOT of these notifications for the 2015-2016 Model Years. Scheduled for service in about 10 days. Thanks for posting your experience with this!
Just happened to me today also! 2016 X P90DL. We’ll see what happens. I’m hoping that the last few posts can point me in the right direction. (Tesla covering the repair under battery warranty, only taking a few hours at the service center, 2,366 Amp fuse, etc.)

Accurate, but a poor choice of words. The Pyro fuse will not blow at the end of life of its internal small lithium battery. It will no longer work as a fuse, such that if an overload occurs (which is a super rare event), it will not disconnect quickly. Something else will melt instead, but would likely cause other damage if it needed to be triggered.

There is a software timer that should bring up the "Time to Replace" message when the battery nears its expected end of life. There is no ability to monitor the pyro fuse's battery voltage, so it's a design estimate of when the battery likely needs replacement.

It sounds like the timer was improperly triggered, and that is why the tech could just reset the timer.

The new design used for the last several years no longer needs a lithium battery and should last the life of the car.
You sure there’s no longer a lithium battery in the fuses replaced? They said mine still has 5-10 years

Accurate, but a poor choice of words. The Pyro fuse will not blow at the end of life of its internal small lithium battery. It will no longer work as a fuse, such that if an overload occurs (which is a super rare event), it will not disconnect quickly. Something else will melt instead, but would likely cause other damage if it needed to be triggered.
Others have said the fuse's current threshold reduces as the battery voltage drops. To prevent it blowing during normal operation, the vehicle will reduce drive unit power limits based on an estimated fuse threshold.
What happens when the battery gets really low??? Either the car refuses to engage the contactors, the fuse is inoperative, or the fuse blows.

What happens when the battery gets really low??? Either the car refuses to engage the contactors, the fuse is inoperative, or the fuse blows.
If the fuse's internal battery is dead, it can't fire the pyro element on an overload, but the power will remain connected. Still, there are old-style mechanical fuses that would blow in an overload, but perhaps not fast enough to protect other circuitry. The car is still drivable with a dead pyro battery.

• Informative
Reactions: maximizese
Whelp, got this a bit back on my early 2013 model S. So it took 10.5 yrs and ~175,000 miles to show up.

Interestingly I got it right after a reasonably spirited acceleration (maybe 3/4 pedal) to merge. So I initially wondered if there was some sort of monitoring (voltage drop, thermal, etc....) that triggered it. So, I've been rather gentle since.

If it's truly the pyro-fuse battery, than it must be coincidence. My car is similar vintage as @HankLloydRight 's car, so I'm hopeful his cost is what I'm looking at, since it was the lowest ;)

Whelp, got this a bit back on my early 2013 model S. So it took 10.5 yrs and ~175,000 miles to show up.

Interestingly I got it right after a reasonably spirited acceleration (maybe 3/4 pedal) to merge. So I initially wondered if there was some sort of monitoring (voltage drop, thermal, etc....) that triggered it. So, I've been rather gentle since.

If it's truly the pyro-fuse battery, than it must be coincidence. My car is similar vintage as @HankLloydRight 's car, so I'm hopeful his cost is what I'm looking at, since it was the lowest ;)
A 2013 should be the sand fuse. Pyro started being used in 2015, I believe. So it could either be a glitch in the warning timer, or it did detect your fuse degrading (though I have no data on that capability)
Hank has a 2016 pack in a 2014 car.

Reactions: HankLloydRight