Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Row seat in Model Y is really tight

Change your mind about purchasing a 7 seat version Model Y?

• No, way! I’m still committed. I knew it would be this small.

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Yikes! Okay, I ordered a 7 seater, but I may or will change my order

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I knew this was coming. Didn’t consider a 7 seater.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Don’t care.

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually if you look closely, the middle seat can slide forward on hinges (pretty much a standard for all 3 row seating cars). So clearly what is being shown in the picture is something that can be increased by sliding the middle seat forward. I don't understand why people are panicking? No manufacturer can sell a seat like that, it won't even pass inspection to get production license.

can you remove the mddle seat, middle row (like the highlander?)

the frustrating thing is b/c of naysayers a lot of car co.s don't offer 3rd row options in the US for the EXACT same car that they do in asia/europe. Even if you want to custom order. I'm glad Tesla is bucking the trend.

can you remove the mddle seat, middle row (like the highlander?)

the frustrating thing is b/c of naysayers a lot of car co.s don't offer 3rd row options in the US for the EXACT same car that they do in asia/europe. Even if you want to custom order. I'm glad Tesla is bucking the trend.
Might not be real simple...the Y has heated seats in the rear/middle seat. Might also be an air bag there too...not sure on that one

Cars of similar size to the model Y rarely (if ever) offer a third row. It was a surprise when they announced it, and with a car of that size obviously it's going to be tiny. It's just there as an option if for some reason you can make use of it (for example you have very young kids you want to put back there).
Do you suppose those third row seats are prepped for car seats?
How difficult would it be to install them?
Can people in 2nd row reach back to care for kids in 3rd row?

I would think you can put car seats there but not sure. It would be very difficult to install judging by the limited access. I guess you could reach back from the second row, but it would be tight since there isn't too much space between the 2nd row seat backs and the roof.

We have a 3 and and an Odyssey. (and I bet we get close to 2x the MPG of a Suburban, They're worlds different vehicles). We can put all in the 3 2nd row for now but it's pretty tight and nobody's > 100lbs yet. They greatly prefer the Odyssey for any drive much over 20 min. The back row of the 3 has a pretty limited peace time threshold. A weekly 45 min trip to the local ski hill is over that limit. I hope Tesla will make a minivan some day and we'll rejoice. Of course our kids will be in college by then but they really need to make one. Nothing beats it for moving > 4 people around.

Back to the Y 3rd row, I'm curious how much space you give up with the 3rd. If it were our only vehicle, there'd be no question but with the Odyssey in the garage, it's not a must-have. I ordered one but am considering skipping it to accelerate my delivery date.

Reactions: DanCar

We have 4 kids. The 3 year old sits in the third row in the X in a car seat. It's a bit tight for him cause his feet don't go under the middle row. Makes it a bit tight got that reason. Don't think the Y will be any better cause it will probably have less room than the X in the third row