Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Row Seats Replaced: New Unlatching Procedure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 3rd row seats replaced last week. Upon picking it up, my service rep told me they forgot to cycle the seats to "verify" that the new seats worked properly. After they took the X to the back I waited about 10 mins, he came back out and said he would order a new set of seats as the button/mechanism wasn't working per their spec. Issues with the button and latch mechanism not in sync.

I told him let me drive the X for a little while, find some new issues, and drop it back off so I can get them all looked at the next time I'm there.

This will by my 3rd visit to the SC in 3 months.

Only because Tesla likes to release features after the fact.

What if the rear seats are electric, they were having software problems until they realized the seats had a manufacturing defect. After the recall is done, software update allows touchscreen or seat button activation.

Might be an explanation into the non-ergonomic process your finding now when raising, but why they included electric actuating latches.

Someone should listen and feel when raising and lowing for the sound of a freewheeling motor when the seat back is in motion.

Only because Tesla likes to release features after the fact.

What if the rear seats are electric, they were having software problems until they realized the seats had a manufacturing defect. After the recall is done, software update allows touchscreen or seat button activation.

Might be an explanation into the non-ergonomic process your finding now when raising, but why they included electric actuating latches.

Someone should listen and feel when raising and lowing for the sound of a freewheeling motor when the seat back is in motion.

I would love for this to be true, but sadly I don't think that's going to happen. When you raise the seat there is absolutely nothing that feels or sounds like a disengaged motor attached. While the electronic switch is odd, and I can't believe these seats are not electric, I seriously doubt there's a mechanism included to raise the seat automatically with a future software release. But I really hope I'm wrong!

It is my understanding that the seats may go down automatically (via the upcoming cargo mode feature). But you'll have to manually raise the seats afterwards.
I think that cargo mode will just move second row completely forward simultaneously, the third row may drop the headrests too, but from my limited exposure with th MX, not sure if the second step to lower seat back can be automated.

I have the new seatbacks and find them easier to raise than my last ones. The latch is quieter as well. The one thing I do see, however, is the power conduit exposed behind the seats when I fold them down. Was that there before? I didn't recall being able to see seat material from the cargo space but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

I have the new seatbacks and find them easier to raise than my last ones. The latch is quieter as well. The one thing I do see, however, is the power conduit exposed behind the seats when I fold them down. Was that there before? I didn't recall being able to see seat material from the cargo space but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.
@ohmman, is your experience aligned with fold-up sequence some of us experienced (press, push down a bit, pull up quickly)?
I am wondering if we need our to be rechecked for issues.

Here you go. Not sure what angle you needed it from.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 134
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
...The one thing I do see, however, is the power conduit exposed behind the seats when I fold them down. Was that there before?...
Yes, the power conduit was there since the early Model X.

The new seats are a pain to lower and raise compared with the old style. Extra button presses work to accomplish the task. Just something else to get accustom to. The improved safety is worth the effort.

Did you notice the improved seat back carpet alignment at the corners? Keep your trunk load floor pulled toward the bumper so there is plenty of room for clearance. No sense bending those nice new seat backs.

I am pleased to report that with the rear seat recall upgrade the broken wire holders got replaced so the wires connectors are once again lined up and attached. As Tesla Motors worked on the vehicle over the past 5 months, some tabs were snapped off before delivery and more when the old style seats were replaced a few months ago. Here are photos of the two older broken wire holders and the two new ones. The soft cover is tricky to push back in place, so I don't recommend removing it.

Old: Broken Left.JPG Broken Right.JPG New: New Left.JPG New Right.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, the power conduit was there since the early Model X.

The new seats are a pain to lower and raise compared with the old style. Extra button presses work to accomplish the task. Just something else to get accustom to. The improved safety is worth the effort.

Did you notice the improved seat back carpet alignment at the corners? Keep your trunk load floor pulled toward the bumper so there is plenty of room for clearance. No sense bending those nice new seat backs.

I am pleased to report that with the rear seat recall upgrade the broken wire holders got replaced so the wires connectors are once again lined up and attached. As Tesla Motors worked on the vehicle over the past 5 months, some tabs were snapped off before delivery and more when the old style seats were replaced a few months ago. Here are photos of the two older broken wire holders and the two new ones. The soft cover is tricky to push back in place, so I don't recommend removing it.

Old: View attachment 177487 View attachment 177488 New: View attachment 177489 View attachment 177490

Is the carpet still loose over those wires and exposed when you remove the cargo shelf?

Is the carpet still loose over those wires and exposed when you remove the cargo shelf?
The photos I posted show the wires under a molded soft flexible cover that is near the bottom of the trunk. That cover is under the trunk load floor (the hard carpeted floor with the handle). Those wire connectors are NOT visible unless the molded cover is pulled back.

With the molded cover in place (as it should be) and the rear seat backs are down, the exposed area under the trunk load floor looks similar to the previous seats. There are several wires visible, but only the thicker wire is what is clearly noticeable. When the seat backs are up, less than an inch of the thicker wire is visible.

That's a lot of electronics just to flip some headrests and open a latch. There has to be more to the rear seats than we are getting.

IMHO, the photos are showing an extra wire for the heated seat option. Other wires would be for seat sensor, button switch, headrest solenoid, and seat lock solenoid. The extra wire on the left side would be for the USB connector in front of the cup holders.

Last edited: