Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4,700 miles on my Model 3 and my tires are on the wear bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep we have the same experience! Very strange awd needing rotating....3 must favor the rear motor more. I didnt have this problem on the S awd

How did you handle it I have AWD LR and just hit 12000 and the car went in yesterday with wear bars showing and almost no tread on rear 2 tires. They want me to pay for tires and seek retribution from continental how do I tell if there have been any service alerts?

How did you handle it I have AWD LR and just hit 12000 and the car went in yesterday with wear bars showing and almost no tread on rear 2 tires. They want me to pay for tires and seek retribution from continental how do I tell if there have been any service alerts?

If you're enjoying the full acceleration of your all wheel drive model and the pedal under your right foot is frequently mashed, you've got no claim against Continental.:p:p:p

mine still had some decent tread left on the rears at 10K whereas the fronts were like new so I rotated them and can hopefully make it to 15-20K.

AWD 3 at 10K - the rears seem to be running lower than the front 4/32 vs 6/32 front. I didn't have this issue on my S AWD - I've never rotated them and they lasted about 22-25K. I drive both cars the same (leadfooted). I'm at 45 K on the S and only on the first set of replacements

Gonna take the 3 in for a rotation to even out the wear. Even still I don't think they will make it to 20 K miles.

I know EVs are much harder on rear tires due to excessive low end torque. but not sure why the 3 more than the S- maybe due to weight balance? in general, AWD drive cars should still be rotated front to back, since wear in the front tires occurs more on the sides (due to turning), and more in the middle on the rear (due to rapid straight line acceleration weeeeeeee).

I'm planning on rotating at 7500 miles. hopefully get at least 2 rotations in before tires wear out at 20k. anyone have any recommendations as to a different strategy / mileage for rotation?

"Performance" tires do not have the same life as all seasons tires.
Many people buying a Tesla are buying their first ever "performance vehicle"
I wonder how many people buying the performance version with performance tires realize that they are not to be driven on in cold temperatures at all and it will void the tire warranty. I think Tesla should put a note to this on their site when selecting tire options. Tesla should offer the Performance version of the car and give people the option to choose all season tires if they live in a colder climate. That might help. Not everyone wants to have two sets of tires and rims to switch between summer and winter but they might want the bigger rims, brakes, spoiler, pedals and acceleration.

Last edited:
Reactions: coleAK
"Performance" tires do not have the same life as all seasons tires.
Many people buying a Tesla are buying their first ever "performance vehicle"
I wonder how many people buying the performance version with performance tires realize that they are not to be driven on in cold temperatures at all and it will void the tire warranty. I think Tesla should put a note to this on their site when selecting tire options. Tesla should offer the Performance version of the car and give people the option to choose all season tires if they live in a colder climate. That might help. Not everyone wants to have two sets of tires and rims to switch between summer and winter but they might want the bigger rims, brakes, spoiler, pedals and acceleration.
I’ve always it would be nice if Tesla offered a no cost option to select all season tires like Porsche has done with some the 911 models that come with summer only performance tires.

My Model 3 rear are wearing exceptionally fast. They are measuring 3/32 in the middle and 5/32 on the edge. The pressure has been very close to 45 psi for the entire time I have owned the car. The guy at the tire shop said they would not be covered under warranty because of the uneven wear. Is anyone else having this accelerated tire wear? I admit that I floor it at every light and use regen to its fullest extent, but 4,700 miles is ridiculous! These are supposed to be 55,000 mile tires. I have the 18" rims. These are the Michelin PRIMACY MXM4 - SIZE: 235/45R18
The same and just received a lease-end inspection that said I need to replace 2 rear ones. My miles - less than 8,000 miles. And almost 6 months without use of car due to pandemic. This is basically and transparently design flaw. Or the tires are really bed or the Tesla 3 is really bad (unbalanced weight). Would accept ways to reduce here and there - but less than 10K leads the conclusion that Tesla 3 behavior reminds me of a disposable device....use a bit and replace. Garbage.

The same and just received a lease-end inspection that said I need to replace 2 rear ones. My miles - less than 8,000 miles. And almost 6 months without use of car due to pandemic. This is basically and transparently design flaw. Or the tires are really bed or the Tesla 3 is really bad (unbalanced weight). Would accept ways to reduce here and there - but less than 10K leads the conclusion that Tesla 3 behavior reminds me of a disposable device....use a bit and replace. Garbage.

Cause it absolutely could not be how you drive, right? Also, this thread was started in 2018 (the post you quoted was from then) and the last post prior to yours was over a year and half ago.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I can assure you there is no design flaw. You don't want to jump down that rabbit hole. What kind of Tire do you have? We're getting 35,000 miles out of the Pilot Sport 4S. And we don't drive that gently. But we do keep them very accurately aligned. Not just in spec but optimized in terms of minimal Toe-in. Have you ever aligned your car since leasing it? And do you have the alignment record? If the answer to both of those is no, you have no one to blame but yourself and it's your posting that should be put curbside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I can assure you there is no design flaw. You don't want to jump down that rabbit hole. What kind of Tire do you have? We're getting 35,000 miles out of the Pilot Sport 4S. And we don't drive that gently. But we do keep them very accurately aligned. Not just in spec but optimized in terms of minimal Toe-in. Have you ever aligned your car since leasing it? And do you have the alignment record? If the answer to both of those is no, you have no one to blame but yourself and it's your posting that should be put curbside.
I'm at 23k with the original Conti. Have plenty of tread left.

Reactions: gavine