Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 kids: Minivan -> X...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We also 4 children ages 3-10 and have ordered a 7 seat model X to replace our 8 seat Odyssey elite.

If you haven’t seen the model x in person you should. Like a minivan, the space behind the third row is deep. It’s not just a flat floor. There is a floor board you remove and reveals a large amount of deep trunk space. I think you can actually stack at least 4, if not more, carryon sized suitcases in the rear area.

Also the third row is 50/50 split which means you can fold down half, still have 6 seats and have additional space to secure down more luggage next to the single rear seat passenger.

Also the front truck is additional
Space to keep miscellaneous items.

We have a roof rack on our odyssey, that’s not possible on the x with falcon won’t doors.

I think you should really check out the model x in person if you haven’t. It has a surprising amount of storage due to lack of transmisson, engine, etc.

So it's like this. We got a Model 3 to replace my old sedan. The "family car" is an Odyssey minivan.

It's taken less than a week for my wife and I to repeatedly say to each other, "if only the Tesla could fit six..."

Our main concern is that we take 1-2 road trips a year to spend 1-2 weeks with grandparents. No worries on range (if you think we stop less often than once every 2 hours with 4 kids, I'd like some of what you're smoking!). The real concern is cargo.

With seats in use (either 6/7 for the 7-seater or all for the 6-seater), how much can you really fit? We normally take a bunch of carry-on size suitcases, a ton of random crap, and a hitch-mounted bicycle rack. We can surely cut down on the random crap, if that's the only way this is going to work. But can we fit 4-6 carry-on suitcases behind the 3rd row? Does the bike rack work OK?

This isn't a near-term thing on account of we just bought the model 3 and the minivan isn't worth that much as a trade. But I'm wondering whether it's even realistic at all. Even with all seats up the Odyssey has a LOT of room for cargo.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Reactions: ammulder
We had a Honda Odyssey, then in 2013 we bought a rwd model S 7 seater. We found them to have the same capacity when carrying 7 people.

Then we ended up getting a succession of model X's and found they had no more capacity than the S. The only advantage of the X for this purpose was if all of your kids are older our you want to tow.

Eventually we bought the largest stowaway box for the hitch of the X and a roof rack and skybox for the S... And drove across the country like that when we relocated.
The stowaway box has similar capacity to the skybox but the skybox is better for skiing and better for reversing into supercharger spots.

I regard the S rwd a superior minivan replacement compared to the X. You seat 7, can fit a lot in the skybox, can fit a 2 seat stroller in the frunk (which doesn't work in the X) and if you need an accessory hitch you can go third party. Works great provided you have kids under 10. If the kids in the trunk are under 5 you can put a large roller duffel under their feet.

Sure I prefer driving our 3 to our 2013 S (rwd with no autopilot), but I much much prefer the S to the Odyssey.

Why not get the X for everyday driving the kids around and then rent an Odyssey or a mini-van for a week or two when you need the space?

Certainly possible. But the true answer to why-not-rent-for-trip is: because a Tesla is WAY funner to drive! If I had an X, no f’in way I’d pay for the privilege of driving a minivan again.

As for flying, which I accidentally cut from the quote, when there for a week or two we need more wheels anyway. And my wife loves to drive, and doesn’t want to feel like she has to ask the in-laws for a favor every time she wants to run out for something. A car is freedom, isn’t that in the bill of rights somewhere?

X is a much safer vehicle to transport your family around than any mini van or suv.

Undoubtedly. It’s hands-down better 49-50 weeks of the year. It’s the last bit I’m grappling with.

We probably just need to try that overnight test drive and pack the thing to the gills and see how we make out.

We had a Honda Odyssey, then in 2013 we bought a rwd model S 7 seater. We found them to have the same capacity when carrying 7 people.

They don’t sell the S in a 7-seat configuration any more, right?

Our kids are young now (5-11) but we’d like to be able to keep it for a while and they grow damn fast, so I’m not sure about 3rd row seats in an S or Y.

They don’t sell the S in a 7-seat configuration any more, right?

Our kids are young now (5-11) but we’d like to be able to keep it for a while and they grow damn fast, so I’m not sure about 3rd row seats in an S or Y.

Correct. Jumpseats are no longer available. Also the Model S frunk is a lot smaller after they did the refresh in April 2016, even on RWD versions.

Certainly possible. But the true answer to why-not-rent-for-trip is: because a Tesla is WAY funner to drive! If I had an X, no f’in way I’d pay for the privilege of driving a minivan again.

The X is a car. I like mine, but to be honest I would rather fly for 1-1.5 hours than drone down the highway in my X for a 8+ hours. Even with EAP it is still a boring ride.

@ammulder

I’m your huckleberry.

The times I need to transport 6 people, 12, 50lb suitcases and 6 carryons I slap on a trailer.

Use your imagination with tow and attachments as needed to accommodate your needs.

Got rid of our Odyssey because the X was able to cover 99% of the Odyssey use cases.

I use the fun of a Model X 100% of the time. The 100% capacity of an Odyssey, not so much.

The seven seat fold flat was not an option at the time in 2016 but that’s what I would go with today.

116BAA1A-F4E3-40F7-91E6-3319C166AC6D.jpeg

Last edited:
@MXWing — I saw some of your older posts about it and was wondering whether you’d chime in. :)

How do you find supercharging with a trailer? Obviously it works for some of them, as pictured. Do you have to try hard to find those? Or are the chances pretty good that there’s a trailer-friendly spot at any given supercharger? When I saw a very short ‘list of trailer friendly Superchargers’ I got the impression they were relatively rare.

Anyway, I’m with you on the fun factor. And my wife — who has ALWAYS preferentially driven the minivan, has opted for the Model 3 the last three times she went out.

I think the Odyssey’s days are numbered. She flat out refuses to get an S with rear facing seats, so it will have to be an X. Just have to swallow the purchase of the 3 first. In hindsight, we put too much money down. Had no idea we’d shortly be considering a second expensive car. Damn that Tesla! :)

@MXWing — I saw some of your older posts about it and was wondering whether you’d chime in. :)

How do you find supercharging with a trailer? Obviously it works for some of them, as pictured. Do you have to try hard to find those? Or are the chances pretty good that there’s a trailer-friendly spot at any given supercharger? When I saw a very short ‘list of trailer friendly Superchargers’ I got the impression they were relatively rare.

Anyway, I’m with you on the fun factor. And my wife — who has ALWAYS preferentially driven the minivan, has opted for the Model 3 the last three times she went out.

I think the Odyssey’s days are numbered. She flat out refuses to get an S with rear facing seats, so it will have to be an X. Just have to swallow the purchase of the 3 first. In hindsight, we put too much money down. Had no idea we’d shortly be considering a second expensive car. Damn that Tesla! :)

Wait for the end of Q2 sale

Happy to help with anything or anyone I can - just tag or message me.

I’m a amateur road warrior on the Model X. The pros that come to mind is @ohmman and @Yinn

My advice is to know your superchargers on your routes.

Some will be easier than others.

You may not even need to detach at all from A-B.

However, do what it takes if you want optimal fun.

If you want to have optimal fun, that means no Odyssey. No Odyssey might mean you will need to get good at detaching and attaching your trailer.

Detach, charge and attach.

How much work you have to do unfortunately comes down to how much you want to spend on batteries.

I don’t know how often you will need to tow and for how long so you will have decide on 75 vs 100kW battery packs.

What IS nice is that you are getting more range and faster charging in the new Model Xs.

If you propose the trailer you would use, the experts I mentioned might have a better idea on actual range so you can plan SC stops.

I’m with you on the cash outlays. It’s immense but hard to put a price on the chariot you wheel your family around in.

Especially since you have to have a vehicle anyway. Money spent on plan B is less money available to plan A. Hence my incredulousness at people making non Tesla purchases.

Last edited:
We have 4 kids ranging from ages 10 to 18, and a 65 pound dog. We have taken our 6 seat X on multi week vacations with all of them. My biggest suggestion is not to use suitcases at all. Use eBags. They are the best solution, since bulky suitcases reduce your overall storage by a significant amount.

That said, there is less room than any minivan (we have a Sienna). I've ever driven. The 3rd row is ok for younger kids (less than age 12 or so), but the taller ones will complain.

We have three kids under five with a MX seven seater. This is our standard packing job on our road trips.

Frunk: pack and play, duffle bag, random odds and ins, and pack and play mattress on top of it all.

Trunk: city select stroller, large suitcase. Then two duffles on top of them, and usually a small overnight bag on top of them if we break the trip up.

Interior: the seven seater has airplane style seats for the second row, so I put packs of diapers and wipes under them. We will usually put a cooler on the floor of the second row behind the rear facing car seat for easy access and the space isn't being used anyway. Big girls sit in the third row with their backpacks which they keep next them or on the floor in front of them.

Never had a mini van, and that's always been my goal. We have never had issues packing or had a need for a trailer. I'm always surprised how much I can fit in the car and remember we still have the two seats wide open that could lay flat if needed. Lately my girls have been bringing their micro scooters for when we supercharge so I usually just lazily throw them on the floor there.

From my experience with the MX it will work if you make it work. Hopefully that gives you a realistic idea of could your family pack in a similar style. Duffles are key though for maximize space.

My Sienna lasted about 6 months after we got our S. Then it was replaced with an X, that was nearly 3 years ago. We swore the S would be adequate to replace the minivan with rear facing seats, it worked well enough. But the X is a much better replacement.

As @MXWing said, I do tow with mine frequently. In 3 years of frequent towing, I’ve been lucky enough to have never needed to detach my trailer, but that’s more luck than reality. I also mostly tow small trailers, 4x8 to a 6x10. Any larger and I’d probably need to detach. But with a small one you learn to maneuver to take up an end spot, or pull through or just stick out. If I was pulling a camper trailer that’s longer than 10ft that would be a difficult thing to do.

Reactions: MXWing and ammulder
Happy to help with anything or anyone I can - just tag or message me.

Thanks!

My advice is to know your superchargers on your routes.

That's good advice. Our next trip is Q3. There's a decent chance we won't have done anything by then, in which case we could at least swing by the SuperChargers on the way and have a look at them and leave ourselves some notes for next time. :)

How much work you have to do unfortunately comes down to how much you want to spend on batteries.

I don’t know how often you will need to tow and for how long so you will have decide on 75 vs 100kW battery packs.

I’m with you on the cash outlays. It’s immense but hard to put a price on the chariot you wheel your family around in.

This would be the trip-mobile, and we're in the land of four seasons, so there's no way we'd get anything other than max range. The issue is with the first $90K to get the car at all, not the last $10K to get the range. :)

I will keep an eye on the end of quarter discounts, but this quarter is probably not realistic, in terms of recovering after buying the 3. End of Q3 or Q4 is likely more promising.

We have 4 kids ranging from ages 10 to 18, and a 65 pound dog. We have taken our 6 seat X on multi week vacations with all of them. My biggest suggestion is not to use suitcases at all. Use eBags. They are the best solution, since bulky suitcases reduce your overall storage by a significant amount.

Several of you have suggested not using suitcases -- sounds like a great tip.

We have never had issues packing or had a need for a trailer. I'm always surprised how much I can fit in the car and remember we still have the two seats wide open that could lay flat if needed.

That's great to hear. The reality with our 4 kids is that it works better to have space in between. So either the 6-seat, or a 7-seat where we only fold down part of the third row in desperation.

My Sienna lasted about 6 months after we got our S. Then it was replaced with an X

I would be happy if it played out that way. :)

That's great to hear. The reality with our 4 kids is that it works better to have space in between. So either the 6-seat, or a 7-seat where we only fold down part of the third row in desperation.
There is not THAT much space between the two seats in the third row, but it is slightly more space than you'd have between each of 3 in the second row. Regardless, as a 7-seat owner who has driven a 6-seat loaner with the family, I'd recommend the 6-seat configuration. Getting in and out of the 3rd row in the 7-seat configuration is just inconvenient at best. It wouldn't have been as bad with the pedestal middle row thy used to have, and maybe the refresh will make it better with a new bench configuration, but in the meantime, if you don't NEED that 7th seat and/or cargo space regularly, it's probably not worth what you sacrifice.