Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Tesla Tire Pressure Sensors for Older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2013 Model S and a set of snow tires from tire rack with installed tire pressure sensors. When I upgraded to my 2016 Model S, I found out that these sensors are not backward compatible with my new Tesla S, and I had to buy a new set of sensors.

The sensors work perfectly fine and are about 3 years old. I believe they sell for about $50 each - I am willing to sell all 4 for $50 total (plus shipping). You need to check to make sure they will work with your VIN number (after a certain VIN number you need to use the new sensors that can tell each tire apart). The part # on these sensors is 3901B.

Let me know if you're interested!

Djinn1

Just a word of warning, I have a 2012 Model S and my TPMS all went bad at around late 2015 They started going bad one by one and eventually had to get all 4 replaced. Tesla said it was due to the batteries going bad. Luckily it was still under warranty so these should last me another 3-4 years. But they were on the car since the beginning so that may have attributed to the low battery life. Just make note that they don't last forever.

Interesting, are the batteries in the sensors themselves replaceable? I'd pretty annoyed if used sensors I purchased had to be replaced anytime soon.

If you're handy, I'm sure you can find a way to break them apart and replace the lithium battery inside. But it's not easily replaceable as opening a cover and putting in a new battery. From what I've read, they said that TPMS usually lasts 5-10 years and older type models being on the lower end. I know the early Model S used some Chinese manufacturer for the TPMS and I was surprised it only lasted about 4 years. If the OP had them on snow tires, they probably haven't been used as much as my everyday tires and should last longer. But I just wanted to bring it up for those considering.

Per above, I have 4 TPMS Model S sensors (older version for VIN < 50900) available for $50 USD + shipping. Two of them appear to be slightly newer than the other two. They were all working fine on my 2013 Model S P85 winter tires.
Please reply here or send me a PM.

David

"I have 4 TPMS Model S sensors (older version for VIN < 50900) available for $50 USD + shipping. "

Ditto.

PM me, if you have need. They are from a Tire Rack winter set, originally put on a 2013. All were working fine when taken off.

I'm interested in a set of Gen 1 sensors for $50 shipped... I need the ones for a 2012 car (1954 VIN), so the original orginal sensors, not the updated ones. Don't really want to take the ones out of my 21" every time I put the 19's on, but that is worth about $50 to me, lol.

I'm interested in a set of Gen 1 sensors for $50 shipped... I need the ones for a 2012 car (1954 VIN), so the original orginal sensors, not the updated ones. Don't really want to take the ones out of my 21" every time I put the 19's on, but that is worth about $50 to me, lol.

I have four for sale. Found out the hard way the old sensors no longer work with the newer Model S. PM me if interested.