Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

401 Session Expired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
App couldn't connect and got a "401 session expired error" yesterday. Fixed itself today, and I guess others had problems.

Anyone know what that error code means?

Screenshot_20220204-065102_Brave.jpg

I'll guess that "session expired" means the cause was an expired a login cookie/token that didn't get renewed because a server was inaccessible.

Reactions: PianoAl

I'll guess that "session expired" means the cause was an expired a login cookie/token that didn't get renewed because a server was inaccessible.
Hi there,

This is the 2nd time ir has happened this error. I cannot connect to my Tesla. Is ANYONE having the same issue?

On Android platform:

Build Number : G975USQS6HVA1
Android version : S(Android 12)
Release Date : 2022-02-23
Security patch level : 2022-02-01

Thank you

Hi there,

This is the 2nd time it has happened this error. I cannot connect to my Tesla. Is ANYONE having the same issue?

2018 TESLA Model X D100

On Android platform:

Build Number : G975USQS6HVA1
Android version : S(Android 12)
Release Date : 2022-02-23
Security patch level : 2022-02-01

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220421-181801_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-181801_Tesla.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 244
I've had this problem 3 times in the last 5 days. Powering off the phone and powering back on cleared the problem. This is with a Moto-E running Android 10. My partner's older Moto-something running Android 7 did not have the problem. However, I think the difference is that I have Encrypt.me vpn and I think that causes the connection to fail. My partner's phone does not have it. (Encrypt.me is supposed to be turned off when connected to the home network but this fails if I have location services off.) I think encrypt.me was active each time the failure happened.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Fixed. I had this problem starting yesterday at noon, when i checked the location it locked up and started the 401 expired notice. I kept restarting phone, even uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Nothing worked. My wifes phone still ran the app perfectly.
The fix was to restart my router! Then I restarted the phone (just to be sure the app was restarted properly, a portion is kept in memory for notifications so a restart is required) and it all worked fine no hitches.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
If you're using VPN software on your smartphone and the server is set to automatic it may have moved to an area outside of Tesla's operations. My PIAVPN switched to Kazakistan for some reason. When I switched back to the USA I was able to log in again.