Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

450 WH/mile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something very odd happened to me today and I'm wondering if other people have experienced the same thing.
It was quite cold today in Chicago, in the low thirties, our first cold day of the season. On my round trip to
work (~13 miles each way), I used an astonishing 450 WH/mile. Last winter, on days when it was even colder than today, I'd typically use only around 370. A lot of the energy was used to heat the battery. I got a message when I got in the car this afternoon after having left it outside all day saying that 'the battery is heating' and that full power was not available. This message was on for about 20 minutes as I drove. What's very odd is that I never saw a message like this last winter. I'm wondering if this due to a software update? I'm still on version 4.5. Has anyone else noticed a difference between their energy use in cold weather this year and last year?

Hey, Jeff… Hope you had a great summer! Hard to be too precise, but over winter and early spring last year, my LTD wh/mi peaked at ~400. I had plenty of days over 400, mainly because I tend to drive short distances in the city. Then over the summer, I got down to 325 LTD, which means I was below 300 much of the summer.

Even if I do a 90 mile cold weather drive (to lake geneva frequently), I don't start to see good numbers until about 45 miles into trip. I guess it takes that long to get battery sufficiently warmed up.

Like you (and probably everyone else on this forum), I'm very tuned in to what seems to affect it. Here's a weird one. After I drive around for, say 15 minutes, and stop for an errand, I'll see that I used average 450+. After the car has sit for about 30 minutes and I drive the same route back, I might get 330 during return trip. However if I just drove there and back without the 30 minute pause, it would be over 400 for sure. Battery seems to like a little rest after a cold start.

Having said all that, it sure does seem as if usage is very high right now… higher than I remember, but that could be because I've been living around 300 wh/mi or less all summer and had forgotten the cold factor. BTW I'm on 5.6… will watch carefully as weather cools and report back if I feel way off last year's performance.

Don't forget to adjust your tire pressures. That will help. Hasn't gotten cold enough here for me to say anything about the battery.

I had already done that thanks to one of your previous posts recommending this, so this should not have been a factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup.

Just another data point...

I've noticed that about the OR and WA numbers. I assume it has something do with the terrain and the fact that the roads are often wet. But the 450 for me was quite unusual...

- - - Updated - - -

I saw that message about a week ago. It persisted for about 10 miles. I was regen limited for about 15 miles. Temps were in the low to mid 40s. Car currently has FW 4.5. I've noticed that my wh/mi are up though more like 380-400 (vs 330 ish). Wonder if my battery is degrading...

By the way, pre-heat was not an option.

That is exactly what I saw. All the while the energy use graph was cranked up really high, like I was accelerating hard, even though I wasn't. I turned the heat off and that didn't help.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Jeff… Hope you had a great summer! Hard to be too precise, but over winter and early spring last year, my LTD wh/mi peaked at ~400. I had plenty of days over 400, mainly because I tend to drive short distances in the city. Then over the summer, I got down to 325 LTD, which means I was below 300 much of the summer.

Even if I do a 90 mile cold weather drive (to lake geneva frequently), I don't start to see good numbers until about 45 miles into trip. I guess it takes that long to get battery sufficiently warmed up.

Like you (and probably everyone else on this forum), I'm very tuned in to what seems to affect it. Here's a weird one. After I drive around for, say 15 minutes, and stop for an errand, I'll see that I used average 450+. After the car has sit for about 30 minutes and I drive the same route back, I might get 330 during return trip. However if I just drove there and back without the 30 minute pause, it would be over 400 for sure. Battery seems to like a little rest after a cold start.

Having said all that, it sure does seem as if usage is very high right now… higher than I remember, but that could be because I've been living around 300 wh/mi or less all summer and had forgotten the cold factor. BTW I'm on 5.6… will watch carefully as weather cools and report back if I feel way off last year's performance.

Thanks Tomas, likewise. I noticed the high wh/mile on short trips but usually for me my 13 mile commute is long enough to bring the numbers down to between
say 250 and high 390s depending on the weather. I'll have to wait for the temperature to drop again to see if this happens again.

I experienced some higher usage (400Wh/km) than normal (250Wh/km) following charging initiation issues. Tesla monitors our cars and consequently called me and asked me to come to Stavanger Service Station to investigate the problem, beyond recently executed remote diagnosing. I am very curious to what this could be… Charging unexpectedly kicks out shortly after charging has been accepted, and two or three attempts to start charging has to be carried out before at all starting to charge.

Are Borgesen

Signature Performance
Commander DHC 8

Above 7500 ft air resistance is significantly less than at sea level*. Up here MS can achieve under 300 WH/mile quite easily. Proved this effect for myself last month by pulling a 10 ft vee-nosed trailer from northern New York to the Rocky Mt High Country using a Subaru Forester. This load (both weight and wind) renders this rig pretty much crapped out at sea level. However as I climbed up from the High Plains it was almost like the wind load was removed. And this while the engine torque was reducing ~inversely with altitude. Yes, I was able to remove head/tail winds from the equation just by luck.

11,040 miles 286 WH/mile for 10.5 months. *all other things being equal.
--

Last edited: