Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

.48 feels like AP2 finally passed AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
are there any new updated in therms of how AP2 feels vs AP1? My own Model S does not have any AP hardware.
I have a service loaner now with 2018.18 firmware and its AP1 is much much better then a AP1 loaner I had a couple of years ago.
There was really a lot of progress even on AP1 improvement front.
Now if AP2 is already better then AP1 that would be a great achievement.

are there any new updated in therms of how AP2 feels vs AP1? My own Model S does not have any AP hardware. I have a service loaner now with 2018.18 firmware and its AP1 is much much better then a AP1 loaner I had a couple of years ago. There was really a lot of progress even on AP1 improvement front. Now if AP2 is already better then AP1 that would be a great achievement.

The general sense (and my own opinion) seems to be that AP2 took a big leap forward as of 2018.10.4. This thread was originally debating the question of whether 2017.48 surpassed AP1; a point that was contested. I don't think there's much disagreement that AP2 2018.10.4 was a big improvement over AP2 2017.48.

In my opinion, which is probably in the majority as of today, AP2 is now better than AP1, but there are also folks who put a lot of weight on features that AP2 still lacks (these are mainly UI differences but there are some other issues also). Since 10.4 there have been some minor changes to AP2 but nothing to get excited about - 2018.12 through 2018.18 all seem to be generally about the same as 2018.10.4 in terms of how the system drives the car.

I recently had an AP1 loaner and AP2 is better. I wish AP2 could do local lane change like AP1 though. Classification also would be nice but AP2 is primed to do stuff AP1 could never do and I really can't wait did that.

Go back a year and read posts in this thread saying exactly the same thing. You could be waiting a while.

Go back a year and read posts in this thread saying exactly the same thing. You could be waiting a while.

I've been there since the beginning. I'm very familiar with the pace and progress thus far.

There is no doubt that they finally have a viable vision network and can leverage that to continue to improve the system.

It has taken too long and progress is no where near as quick as I would want, but progress is happening.

Reactions: scottf200
There is no doubt that they finally have a viable vision network and can leverage that to continue to improve the system.

What makes you say that? They haven't even got it reading signs reliably yet. No evidence of frame-to-frame comparisons for 3D vision. No sign of a 3D model of the world that will be needed for FSD.

Not even a new demo video.

Right. What they have now is basically hardware wise extremely expensive lane assist, very little evidence of it being anything more than that. Full FSD may be multiple cpu, let alone software, generations away. I'm hopeful of course, but this is the way it really looks like.

Reactions: 1 person
are there any new updated in therms of how AP2 feels vs AP1? My own Model S does not have any AP hardware.
I have a service loaner now with 2018.18 firmware and its AP1 is much much better then a AP1 loaner I had a couple of years ago.
There was really a lot of progress even on AP1 improvement front.
Now if AP2 is already better then AP1 that would be a great achievement.

New waves of it already is better or soon will be better. See

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 for new firmware that recently came out. Smoother in some ways, cars in other lanes finally show up on screen.

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!! for talk of new versions to come this summer/fall.

scottf200, are you saying that it does read road signs? Do you have any evidence of that?
I had 25K miles on an AP1 X and now have 5K on an AP2 car. I'm disagreeing with your assertion that reading speed limit signs makes the case for AP1 being inferior to AP2. AP2 has surpassed AP1 based on my miles of experience in many many conditions.

(P.S. yes, I am occasionally on a road where it has the speed limit incorrect and that can be annoying but AP2 is beyond AP1 at this point. They really need an easy way to get the speed limit corrected promptly. I do use 'bug report').

I had 25K miles on an AP1 X and now have 5K on an AP2 car. I'm disagreeing with your assertion that reading speed limit signs makes the case for AP1 being inferior to AP2. AP2 has surpassed AP1 based on my miles of experience in many many conditions.

(P.S. yes, I am occasionally on a road where it has the speed limit incorrect and that can be annoying but AP2 is beyond AP1 at this point. They really need an easy way to get the speed limit corrected promptly. I do use 'bug report').
Have you noticed if they have ever updated any of the speed limits? There are many incorrect speed limits in my neighborhood and I would gladly submit bug reports if I knew it would get fixed. I noticed with the new maps a couple months ago that several were fixed...but others which had been correct previously were now wrong.

Have you noticed if they have ever updated any of the speed limits? There are many incorrect speed limits in my neighborhood and I would gladly submit bug reports if I knew it would get fixed. I noticed with the new maps a couple months ago that several were fixed...but others which had been correct previously were now wrong.
Most of the roads I travel on the speed limits in the car are accurate so it is hard to say when I'm taking different routes or visiting new places I see these inaccuracies. My aging memory can't recall when areas get fixed as they are not on common roads I travel.

We need for many to tweet Elon and email Tesla to get a better way of reporting or seeing implementations. I'm going to do both.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'm disagreeing with your assertion that reading speed limit signs makes the case for AP1 being inferior to AP2

Being able to read speed limit signs is definitely an issue in UK. We have variable speed limits (on overhead gantries; controlling traffic-flow at busy times) and they are camera-enforced,so failing to adjust speed is not an option ...

One of the many reasons AP2 remains inferior to AP1 is clearly the failure of AP2 to react to speed limit signs and, in particular, to recognize and react to the (correct) change in speed zones.

It’s not even a debate. Wrong is wrong and AP2 is wrong a lot as a result of the db errors.

AP1, by comparison, was correct 99.x% of the time, including those rare times when a speed zone changed on a highway and there happened to be a large truck between the AP1 car’s camera and the sign.

Clearly, the better solution will be to have *both* in AP3. And even then, there will need to be far better communication (see 5G or Starlink) to keep cars updated with regard to digital signs.

Today, AP2 is wrong locally (see PCH) as well as on the road - and by on the road I mean through large swaths of Utah and Wyoming, just to name 2 states just in the past month.

It’s indefensible, and where it’s a bigger problem is with the effect bad data has upon Autosteer and speed management. Too low and it’s annoying and increases the chance of being rear-ended. Too high and it’s less safe and riskier for tickets.

Didn’t have those problems with AP1. Hopefully won’t have them with AP3. They are endemic with AP2 - despite ample opportunities for corrections by mobile techs and SC technicians. Perhaps they haven’t been tasked or correctly incented to report every error encountered.

Then again, I suspect most techs who have a clue prefer to drive AP1 cars anyway.

And I don’t blame them one bit.

Being able to read speed limit signs is definitely an issue in UK. We have variable speed limits (on overhead gantries; controlling traffic-flow at busy times) and they are camera-enforced,so failing to adjust speed is not an option ...

I made a Costco run yesterday and was reminded of a MAIN stretch of road that my X shows as 25 MPH but I pass two speed limit signs that show 40 MPH. I have reported this once in the past and just did again. Here was the latest back and forth with Tesla about it. Everyone experiencing this on roads they travel regularly should do 'bug reports', note the time, contact Tesla with that info. I sent a map with GPS coordinates as well.

--------------- My Original Message ---------------
Sent: 6/14/2018 11:22 AM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: Tesla Autopilot - Speed Limit
This happened today 6/14/2018 at 12:15pm CT. My car showed 25 MPH but several speed limit signs showed 40 MPH! I reported this months ago with Bug Report. I reported it again with Bug Report today. Image below with GPS coordinates!!
Keep in mind that this happens a LOT in MANY places. There are dozens of threads and 100s of angry Tesla AP2 drivers over this. I had an AP1 car. It worked great!
WHY is there not an accurate way to report this simply where we get positive feedback that it worked. Add **specific** 'Bug Report Speed Limit' recognition or method to do this. So annoying to many of us.
--------------- Tesla response Message ---------------
Hello Scott, Thank you for following up. These are valuable details and will greatly help us make improvements to these locations. I've shared these details with our engineering team to help get this updated on all of our vehicles. After submitting a bug report I would also recommend reaching out to our service or support teams to let them know of the concern as well. They can ensure prompt visibility on these issues, but I've also contacted our teams to share your suggestion of a more specific Bug Report command to allow us to quickly help eachother when encountering an incorrect speed limit. Thanks again and have a great week.
Best regards, Mark Toffey | Executive Care 45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538

Last edited:
We have seen Elon joking but this seems indeed to be real and I wonder what all this functions are about.

Augmented vision for instance sounds promising. Our brain is doing a lot of filtering and prioritization while driving or walking on a street why not using all the information our car has to help with that effort. Everybody has experienced a moment in live where a later very important information has been considered not of priority and filtered out. Our eyes see something but our brain did decide to put it aside. One of the reasons how fatal crashes happen.

In any case we can expect some options that again testifies how far ahead Tesla is with AP compared to other.

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk

It’s real

Dgfu1VpU8AAGRkG.jpg

5:1