Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48 New Tesla's Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice that Tesla is dropping a bunch of new Plaid's on their site? The number seems to be growing each week. I think I'm still waiting for my LR--as I don't care about that extra 0-60 time. I think the LR is still going to be tough to get for a while. But, all those dealers trying to get $150k+ for those used ones are going to have a huge problem.

Anyone else notice that Tesla is dropping a bunch of new Plaid's on their site? The number seems to be growing each week. I think I'm still waiting for my LR--as I don't care about that extra 0-60 time. I think the LR is still going to be tough to get for a while. But, all those dealers trying to get $150k+ for those used ones are going to have a huge problem.
yep. my guess is that since the plaids have been produced earlier/larger numbers than LR for several weeks now, much (not all) of the initial surge demand for plaid, has been met. Hence the frequent availability of just those.

Not sure whats going on but more are being added daily. I think its a sign that the demand for the Plaid may not be so great after all. Personally, for 30k, I want way more than 1.0 seconds on a 60 time.
You can’t look at it as 1.0 seconds. Think of it as the LR being close to 50% slower to 60mph. The difference is staggering, and above 60? Even more staggering. Whether the value is there to you or not is another discussion, but make no mistake the performance difference is huge.

Agreed, it’s actually much less than a second given the rollout / no rollout deceptive marketing BS Tesla engages in.

With it without rollout, the difference is massive. That said, no argument from me about the picking and choosing of Tesla to use rollout or not to use rollout on the stats of their cars on the Tesla site. I find it just as disingenuous. It’s 2.2x vs 3.1. I can’t begin to express (again) how huge that difference is.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Noticed plenty in California too. Along with several Model 3's. Model Y's appear to be the hot ticket and the best selling. But, the fact that so many of the new S's are already available is an indication that people aren't impressed.

Everyone was hoping for an ALL NEW Model S, being that it's been 10 years since the car was released. And to its credit, the new S certainly does look better than the prior version. However, the differences are so subtle that 99% of non-Tesla owners will notice a difference, hence, new potential buyers. The new Model S has a little stalkier a appearance, but it really is very minor. I like it personally as I prefer a sportier look over an elegant look. This added just a tiny bit to the "sportier" side. The new front fascia is certainly an improvement, but again, so very minor. Same headlights. The only real changes is to the lower half. The rear diffuser differs as well, but again, the upper half is nearly identical. The car simply, still looks like it did in 2012. Its the same thing and did noting to create a new market for the car. If you weren't already interested in a Model S prior to the refresh, this one did nothing to change your mind.

The interior is certainly different. But, is it better? Clearly, that's subjective. Some will like it. Some will hate it. The one's in the middle, probably won't spend $100K on a car that they don't love all around. It's fresher looking, but is absolutely less "DRIVER FRIENDLY". And, for those that are not a fan of the minimalist approach, it took it even further from the interest of those people. It went the way of the Model 3. Either you like it or you don't. For A LOT of people, it feels very plain and cheap, not that it is cheap, but the lack of anything being in there other than a screen gives the impression to many that it is cheap. I got that comment many times with my Model 3. The prior Model S was a blend of both and could still appeal to buyers that want traditional style interiors and function.

For those that are not a fan of the minimalist approach, it just made the Tesla even less appealing to those. Sadly, me being one of them. For the reasons I noted above, the prior Model S I could live with. I had a Model 3 and hated it. The Model S took the same approach and then some.

Add that to the fact that the MAJORITY of people have ZERO interest in the yoke and the car further turns people off. The Model S is a $100,000+ car, yet feels and looks similar to the $40,000 offering (Model 3). Tesla needs to offer more "luxury" to their flagship model to attract buyers away from "luxury" brands. For those that aren't set on being green and making the shift to Electric, no Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc, owners are going to give the Tesla a second look. Not when they can get all the "luxury" they want for less money out of any of the other cars.

For many, the interior was a step backwards rather than forward. The prior Model S offered more function and utility over the cheaper version. Other than having a second instrument cluster screen, the Model S interior offers nothing more than the Model 3 does, oh, and the small useless screen in the back. On top of that, takes away your steering wheel, which most women and a large majority of men, feel is less safe to operate than a full wheel and certainly less comfortable. As is equally, having shift focus away from the road to visually look for all functions on a screen in the middle of the car, rather than just instinctively feel for the daily use functions available on every other car.

Tesla made a fortune by offering new hardware on their cars on a regular basis. A large percentage of their sales were to existing customers that wanted the latest and greatest and upgraded from their prior AP1 to get AP2, or the prior RWD Performance to get the Dual Motor AWD Performance, etc. Problem is, that was good for 20,000 to 30,000 cars sold a year. Now they want to sell over 500,000. They've done nothing to have the Model S appeal to a new customer base. The Model Y, as an SUV, certainly did and is their hottest commodity. But, for the S to be successful as a flagship model, it needs to be more competitive with cars priced at $100,000+. Tesla may very well cancel the Model S all together, as they considered doing when sales plummeted following the release of the Model 3. Sadly, not everyone, (very few actually), give a crap if the car can go from 0-60 in 2 seconds. It appeals to the Tesla base customer, but certainly not to the masses. Nor does the damn yoke or all the other Screen Only controls. Or, after 10 model years, going on 11, Tesla needs to offer a completely new car. Not just another refresh of the same old car. How many cars do you know of that are basically the same for 11 years straight? Question is, will Tesla gamble on creating an all new version? Or just cancel it all together and be happy selling a bunch of Model Y's?

I've been a huge Tesla fan for 9 years running. Was so looking forward to the "NEW" Model S. Was very disappointed to see what was released. As much as a I love the capability Tesla's have, I'm tired of looking at the same car in the garage for so long. Add that to the fact that, for me, and likely others that also used to be a "luxury brand" owner, the interior now being a glorified Model 3 and I'm finally jumping ship. There are just too many good options now available that didn't previously exist with many more coming very soon. Tesla may be a more capable EV, but the others are quite capable as well. Certainly better than Tesla's original capabilities. Not everyone needs such quick acceleration. Not everyone needs 400 miles in range. 300 more than gets the job done. I hope Tesla becomes more open-minded and creates something that will appeal to more than the existing fan base. If so, I'll be back. Until then, time to move on. Just can't justify spending another $100K+ on the same looking car with an interior that I absolutely despise. Have several Tesla friends as well. So far, all but one of them are in the same boat. One out of 50+ loves the yoke and new interior. Small sampling, but 2% that love it, 98%, of existing Tesla owners, that are not a fan. Maybe they don't dislike the S interior as much as I do, but all have been clear, the new S offers no incentive to upgrade from their current cars.

This is my personal take. Certainly not everyone will agree. But, based on the struggling sales prior to the refresh, clearly many more feel the same way, demonstrated by actions, or lack of action in the fact that people won't buy them. The new Model S offers nothing more to convince a new group of buyers to make the shift to Tesla. It appeals to the same group that it already did to and likely quite a few less than it did before.

Reactions: Wol747
Noticed plenty in California too. Along with several Model 3's. Model Y's appear to be the hot ticket and the best selling. But, the fact that so many of the new S's are already available is an indication that people aren't impressed.

Everyone was hoping for an ALL NEW Model S, being that it's been 10 years since the car was released. And to its credit, the new S certainly does look better than the prior version. However, the differences are so subtle that 99% of non-Tesla owners will notice a difference, hence, new potential buyers. The new Model S has a little stalkier a appearance, but it really is very minor. I like it personally as I prefer a sportier look over an elegant look. This added just a tiny bit to the "sportier" side. The new front fascia is certainly an improvement, but again, so very minor. Same headlights. The only real changes is to the lower half. The rear diffuser differs as well, but again, the upper half is nearly identical. The car simply, still looks like it did in 2012. Its the same thing and did noting to create a new market for the car. If you weren't already interested in a Model S prior to the refresh, this one did nothing to change your mind.

The interior is certainly different. But, is it better? Clearly, that's subjective. Some will like it. Some will hate it. The one's in the middle, probably won't spend $100K on a car that they don't love all around. It's fresher looking, but is absolutely less "DRIVER FRIENDLY". And, for those that are not a fan of the minimalist approach, it took it even further from the interest of those people. It went the way of the Model 3. Either you like it or you don't. For A LOT of people, it feels very plain and cheap, not that it is cheap, but the lack of anything being in there other than a screen gives the impression to many that it is cheap. I got that comment many times with my Model 3. The prior Model S was a blend of both and could still appeal to buyers that want traditional style interiors and function.

For those that are not a fan of the minimalist approach, it just made the Tesla even less appealing to those. Sadly, me being one of them. For the reasons I noted above, the prior Model S I could live with. I had a Model 3 and hated it. The Model S took the same approach and then some.

Add that to the fact that the MAJORITY of people have ZERO interest in the yoke and the car further turns people off. The Model S is a $100,000+ car, yet feels and looks similar to the $40,000 offering (Model 3). Tesla needs to offer more "luxury" to their flagship model to attract buyers away from "luxury" brands. For those that aren't set on being green and making the shift to Electric, no Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc, owners are going to give the Tesla a second look. Not when they can get all the "luxury" they want for less money out of any of the other cars.

For many, the interior was a step backwards rather than forward. The prior Model S offered more function and utility over the cheaper version. Other than having a second instrument cluster screen, the Model S interior offers nothing more than the Model 3 does, oh, and the small useless screen in the back. On top of that, takes away your steering wheel, which most women and a large majority of men, feel is less safe to operate than a full wheel and certainly less comfortable. As is equally, having shift focus away from the road to visually look for all functions on a screen in the middle of the car, rather than just instinctively feel for the daily use functions available on every other car.

Tesla made a fortune by offering new hardware on their cars on a regular basis. A large percentage of their sales were to existing customers that wanted the latest and greatest and upgraded from their prior AP1 to get AP2, or the prior RWD Performance to get the Dual Motor AWD Performance, etc. Problem is, that was good for 20,000 to 30,000 cars sold a year. Now they want to sell over 500,000. They've done nothing to have the Model S appeal to a new customer base. The Model Y, as an SUV, certainly did and is their hottest commodity. But, for the S to be successful as a flagship model, it needs to be more competitive with cars priced at $100,000+. Tesla may very well cancel the Model S all together, as they considered doing when sales plummeted following the release of the Model 3. Sadly, not everyone, (very few actually), give a crap if the car can go from 0-60 in 2 seconds. It appeals to the Tesla base customer, but certainly not to the masses. Nor does the damn yoke or all the other Screen Only controls. Or, after 10 model years, going on 11, Tesla needs to offer a completely new car. Not just another refresh of the same old car. How many cars do you know of that are basically the same for 11 years straight? Question is, will Tesla gamble on creating an all new version? Or just cancel it all together and be happy selling a bunch of Model Y's?

I've been a huge Tesla fan for 9 years running. Was so looking forward to the "NEW" Model S. Was very disappointed to see what was released. As much as a I love the capability Tesla's have, I'm tired of looking at the same car in the garage for so long. Add that to the fact that, for me, and likely others that also used to be a "luxury brand" owner, the interior now being a glorified Model 3 and I'm finally jumping ship. There are just too many good options now available that didn't previously exist with many more coming very soon. Tesla may be a more capable EV, but the others are quite capable as well. Certainly better than Tesla's original capabilities. Not everyone needs such quick acceleration. Not everyone needs 400 miles in range. 300 more than gets the job done. I hope Tesla becomes more open-minded and creates something that will appeal to more than the existing fan base. If so, I'll be back. Until then, time to move on. Just can't justify spending another $100K+ on the same looking car with an interior that I absolutely despise. Have several Tesla friends as well. So far, all but one of them are in the same boat. One out of 50+ loves the yoke and new interior. Small sampling, but 2% that love it, 98%, of existing Tesla owners, that are not a fan. Maybe they don't dislike the S interior as much as I do, but all have been clear, the new S offers no incentive to upgrade from their current cars.

This is my personal take. Certainly not everyone will agree. But, based on the struggling sales prior to the refresh, clearly many more feel the same way, demonstrated by actions, or lack of action in the fact that people won't buy them. The new Model S offers nothing more to convince a new group of buyers to make the shift to Tesla. It appeals to the same group that it already did to and likely quite a few less than it did before.
Its going to be really interesting when the EQS comes out. I was going to pull the trigger on a LR, but now that the pricing and range is out on the EQS, I might hold off.

Reactions: kizamybute'

As you said, a personal decision. Awhile back, I would have agreed with most everything you said, now I see it a bit differently. First, as you will see from my signature line I own an S 100D, and am not in the market to change right now. Timing is bad for a number of reasons, but 2 relate to car style - I have a pano roof, and unfortunately I have a really bad back, and am not rolling the dice on new seats on any new car right now. If the second issue gets fixed, I could see making a change. The technology in the new model is outstanding. I’ve read lots about competitive vehicles - Porsche (we also have a Macan S, so I understand what a Porsche feels like), Audi, Ford Mach-E, and lesser feature rich cars. Way too many issues with immature technology and teething issues, despite nicer interiors in the case of Porsche and Audi. Not just my opinion - seeing it in forums, and hearing it from non Tesla owners who are now embarking on the EV journey. Add to that what Tesla has announced and the iteration pace of Tesla vs the others. Staying with Tesla.

kizamybute: An excellent appraisal.
I would personally disagree with you re. the appearance of the S: I think it's a classic period-neutral design that looks functional whatever the year of manufacture but that's just me. I like the philosophy that says if it ain't broke...: it's far more environmentally friendly than retooling every year just to make something snazzier. When I lived in the States I bought the first Saturn that was sold to a foreigner (Still got the expensive Golf and Audobon books that the CEO signed for us!) and when we sold it after 12 years it looked just as modern as when we first drove it. The simplicity and ergonomic design Saturn had in the early nineties are something Tesla could well absorb.
It does worry me the emphasis that so many (or not so many?) put on the extraordinary acceleration the Plaid offers. That and the spaceship yoke, automatic gear selection and so on seem offered for the teens or the inveterate drag racers, not for folk who want a reliable, upmarket and user-friendly means of transport. It just doesn't look like a street car to me.

Its going to be really interesting when the EQS comes out. I was going to pull the trigger on a LR, but now that the pricing and range is out on the EQS, I might hold off.
My dad is in the same boat. He's been with Tesla for 8+ years as well, and absolutely loves his 2018 Model S. But, like many, he's ready for a change after three years and is disappointed at what Tesla is currently offering, to the point that he'll either keep what he has or jump ship as well. He's really excited about the EQS, hoping it's as nice as it appears to be. If it's even half as nice as he thinks it will be, he'll be driving one by the start of next year. I hadn't really paid much attention to it to be honest, then saw what they were claiming for range and it quickly got my attention. Certainly, for those that like the minimalist approach, it won't appeal to them. But, for those that like the ultra luxury with lots of features and gadgets, it's one heck of any appealing car. At least it appears to be. Even if the range turns out to be only 300 miles or so, Mercedes will have a huge hit on their hands, at least from those that can afford it. Being that most buyers don't need the acceleration that Tesla offers, for around $20,000 more than a Plaid, you certainly get $20,000 more worth of luxury with that car, and then some. I don't know, the idea of getting a massage while driving 300 miles down the road, sounds pretty good to me!! LOL. But, the moral of the story here is that, my Dad, has been a HUGE Tesla fan for many years. Probably more so than I have been. Just loves, loves, loves his car. And even he, now has wandering eyes due to the choices Tesla has made. The good thing for Tesla, is they can choose to change it and likely will at some point. Hopefully well before it's too late.

My dad is in the same boat. He's been with Tesla for 8+ years as well, and absolutely loves his 2018 Model S. But, like many, he's ready for a change after three years and is disappointed at what Tesla is currently offering, to the point that he'll either keep what he has or jump ship as well. He's really excited about the EQS, hoping it's as nice as it appears to be. If it's even half as nice as he thinks it will be, he'll be driving one by the start of next year. I hadn't really paid much attention to it to be honest, then saw what they were claiming for range and it quickly got my attention. Certainly, for those that like the minimalist approach, it won't appeal to them. But, for those that like the ultra luxury with lots of features and gadgets, it's one heck of any appealing car. At least it appears to be. Even if the range turns out to be only 300 miles or so, Mercedes will have a huge hit on their hands, at least from those that can afford it. Being that most buyers don't need the acceleration that Tesla offers, for around $20,000 more than a Plaid, you certainly get $20,000 more worth of luxury with that car, and then some. I don't know, the idea of getting a massage while driving 300 miles down the road, sounds pretty good to me!! LOL. But, the moral of the story here is that, my Dad, has been a HUGE Tesla fan for many years. Probably more so than I have been. Just loves, loves, loves his car. And even he, now has wandering eyes due to the choices Tesla has made. The good thing for Tesla, is they can choose to change it and likely will at some point. Hopefully well before it's too late.
I think they are saying it will get close to 400 miles. They pricing is going to be a little less than an S class. Plus, it will qualify for the $7,500 credit.