Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4th annual ReFuel: Sun 7/1/12 @ Laguna Seca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I can tell, most racers would prefer to go it alone unless they are taking someone along for a "joy ride."
I was thinking for, say, your first 1-3 races. Subsequently, I'm sure going it alone is probably more fun ... until you get to the point of boredom (slow vehicle relative to your skills) and want to have a conversation to spice it up.

I was thinking for, say, your first 1-3 races. Subsequently, I'm sure going it alone is probably more fun ... until you get to the point of boredom (slow vehicle relative to your skills) and want to have a conversation to spice it up.

I think having an instructor in the car or an experienced driver during your first 1-3 races would be a great idea. I know I appreciated having an instructor in the car with me during the first practice session. You may have habits or "opportunities to improve your technique" you don't realize you have and an instructor is great for pointing those things out. Beyond that most passengers would be more of a distraction (and more weight! <grin>) for real racing.

An another note, seeing the performance of many of the Model S's on the track was impressive as well. It makes me really look forward to seeing what a potential Next Gen Roadster could do, especially if much of what was learned from engineering the Model S is applied. Keep the weight down, lower the center of gravity by putting the batteries beneath the cabin, maybe add motors in front (like the new NSX Concept) and you could have an even more phenomenal Roadster.

I think the preferred passenger would be an instructor that watches your driving, and takes videos, then discusses the whole thing with you after the drive while reviewing the video. I think most drivers prefer to stay very focused while racing.
Perhaps a little coaching and "egging on".... "Accelerate! Accelerate!! Now brake!!!..."

Last edited:
I think the preferred passenger would be an instructor that watches your driving, and takes videos, then discusses the whole thing with you after the drive while reviewing the video. I think most drivers prefer to stay very focused while racing.
Perhaps a little coaching and "egging on".... "Accellerate! Accelerate!! Now brake!!!..."
I'm less worried about tactical errors ("You could have taken that turned faster if...") and more about contact errors ("Sorry, I clipped you on lap 3. Here's my insurance information.").

Professional driving instructor would be great... (Wonder how much they charge.)

I heard that an instructor for the first two practice sessions before the time trial would be $110. Peter (in the first video) dropped into my car for the first session then I couldn't find him later. If anybody knows contact info for him, PM me, I'd like to pay him for his time and instruction.

Great TG episode has Jackie teaching Slow. Pretty impressive stuff.

After some Googling, that looks like Season 8, Episode 5. I think it's on Netflix. I'll have to check it out.

Any update on why the REFUEL 2011 & 2012 entries aren't in here?
I decided to mail the FastestLaps folks:
Laguna Seca lap records - FastestLaps.com
Why aren't Refuel 2011 & 2012 event lap times included in the list @ fastestlaps.com?
http://www.refuelraces.com/sportelectric.html
Krisjanis "fastestlaps" Zelcs said:
Are the cars that participate in this event unmodified?
Did they use street-legal tyres?
My understanding is that most if not all of the Teslas were street legal. One of the Leafs was modified, but I'm not sure if it was just "non-production" modified or "not street legal" modified. I don't know about the BMWs or the Volt(s).

When signing up for Refuel 2012, I would have expected there to be some form-filling that included whether the vehicle was street legal or not.

Barring that, perhaps contact the Refuel representatives or the individual drivers?

As for Refuel 2011, it's been over a year so I'm surprised that *none* of the participants were included in the official fastest times.

No additional follow-up yet.

I heard that an instructor for the first two practice sessions before the time trial would be $110. Peter (in the first video) dropped into my car for the first session then I couldn't find him later. If anybody knows contact info for him, PM me, I'd like to pay him for his time and instruction.

After some Googling, that looks like Season 8, Episode 5. I think it's on Netflix. I'll have to check it out.

Howdy, it's me your instructor!

Sorry about not finding you before the 2nd session, had to inspect brake pads and tires which took longer than I thought and I didn't make it back over before your session started. I should be there next year though :smile: I'll take a look at those videos and give you any pointers I see. You planning on bringing the roadster out next year?

@Mofst - Welcome to the forum!

When you are bored (or interested?) enough to make your way through the various videos, I'd be curious what you find interesting in them from an instructor point of view. Both from the standpoint of how the various vehicle models are performing and driver differences.

Howdy, it's me your instructor!

Sorry about not finding you before the 2nd session, had to inspect brake pads and tires which took longer than I thought and I didn't make it back over before your session started. I should be there next year though :smile: I'll take a look at those videos and give you any pointers I see. You planning on bringing the roadster out next year?

Yup, I'm planning on going back next year. I'll probably take it a bit easy to preserve me and the car, but it's a fun EV community event, besides just the racing. For racing, I'm thinking about taking the old 330 to Thunderhill for a driving school with the BMW club there in November. The 330 is not getting driven much now, though, so may get sold by then. I'm looking forward to any insights you're willing to provide after looking at the videos!

Heh, I think you guys are giving my opinion too much weight, I'm just a guy who's been to LS too many times and doesn't mind helping first timers :)

I checked out some of your videos, you're doing pretty darn good for your first track day. I don't think I got 2:03 my first time at LS. Anyhow, some notes on your TT lap:

Turn 1: Looks good, I shoot to buzz the checker flag station right by the wall

Turn 2: I found the double apex line to be the one that doesn't upset the car, plus it gives you an extra carlength or two for braking. On your time trial lap, looks like you had a bit of braking before you tracked out to the braking markers. I don't brake there because it seems to make the car angry and screws up my braking zone later because of weight transfer. I track out to the brake markers, get the car in a straight line parallel with the 1st apex, and then brake, brake past the apex, and then turn in for the 2nd one. The single apex is much easier to teach

Turn 3: Looks good, just don't early apex it :p

Turn 4: Can't really tell since it's washed out, but looks like you're using all the track out which is good.

Turn 5: Your apex could be a little sooner, which makes you not track out soon enough. Don't have to worry about the sound booth in the Tesla, lol.

Turn 6: A little trailbraking here looks like it upset the car coming into turn 6, but not too bad. Line looks good, you can carry more speed through here than you think. Mind the bump at the apex!

Turn 7/8: Looking good through here.

Turn 8a: Keep the wheel straighter for just a bit longer, it allows you to put down more power and track out more to the left.

Turn 9: The most difficult, I'd keep the car pointed at the flag station just a tad longer and then turn in. You know you're doing this turn right when you can set the steering wheel lock on turn in, hit the apex, and track all the way out without adjusting the wheel much at all. This will point you right at teh #1 brake marker for turn 10.

Turn 10: I like to get on the rumbles for the apex, and then track all the way out. Try getting closer to the apex, plenty of grip down there.

Turn 11: Keep the tires off the paint under braking, and get it all done in a straight line, no time to be made up trailbraking here :) This also pisses the car off less past the apex, letting you put power down sooner. Since you're not in a miata, you don't have to get your picnic basket out for the front straight.

Obviously the smoother the better, but looks very good for your first event.

@Mofst - Welcome to the forum!

When you are bored (or interested?) enough to make your way through the various videos, I'd be curious what you find interesting in them from an instructor point of view. Both from the standpoint of how the various vehicle models are performing and driver differences.

Those model S that the factory brought looked to be pretty well driven, but looked pretty heavy going around the track. I noticed a little understeer and bobble in turn 2. I think it was the black model S, that one was probably the most aggressively driven. Getting a 1:50 in a car that portly is no small achievement. LS is probably the best track for higher-hp heavy cars, with its smooth corners and no esses.

I like the way the roadsters handle, at least if DSA's is any indication;feels nice and light, with well controlled body motion. Needs another 100hp above 80mph, but what car doesn't. Would probably benefit from some R-compounds and more aggressive pads in the front to match the regen. Too bad they start pulling amperage after the first couple laps, not sure how they keep the motor cool but road racing always requires lots more cooling and durability than the street.