Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 Aftermarket MUSTs for new S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My preferences, no particular order:

• Dashcam - front/rear, BlackVue, Thinkware or similar.
  • All-weather floor mats
  • Abstract Ocean license plate LED lights
  • Abstract Ocean high-brightness interior lighting upgrade (13 white + 4 red modules).
  • Chademo adapter
  • Either 2nd UMC or HPWC
  • Locking lug nuts (Gorilla Guard or Gorilla X2)
  • Tesla tire repair kit

OK, that's more than 5. :D But I can't help it.

But I think I might be a bit biased :D

Unplugged-Performance-P85D-Blue-Demo-Car0015.jpg
1915432_993200734086132_5624652202901164280_n.jpg
13076621_1074066852666186_3288580122901317095_n.jpg
13428387_1109758949096976_6227786170598394243_n.jpg
10452351_768054966600711_325730889696562880_n.jpg
11705314_895000020572871_9048628999021110729_n.jpg
12795562_1035626836510188_7100724097884398519_n.jpg

My preferences, no particular order:

• Dashcam - front/rear, BlackVue, Thinkware or similar.
  • All-weather floor mats
  • Abstract Ocean license plate LED lights
  • Abstract Ocean high-brightness interior lighting upgrade (13 white + 4 red modules).
  • Chademo adapter
  • Either 2nd UMC or HPWC
  • Locking lug nuts (Gorilla Guard or Gorilla X2)
  • Tesla tire repair kit

OK, that's more than 5. :D But I can't help it.
I purchased my MS last October and it had been updated to have an LED license plate light. I ended up returning the light I purchased fro Abstract Ocean.

I asked my DS about the Tesla all weather mats when I picked up my refreshed 90D. He said they fit great and proceeded to get the mats and put them in to show me. They were the Tesla brand all weather mats and did fit great so I bought them. I have had issues with weather tech in the past, so that's why I asked my DS about them.

Apart from what everyone else said, here is my list of what I have done with my car.
- Blackvue 650 camera
- Chrome delete
- Nano-fusion film from A pillar forward and some spots around the back end
- Opti-coat on the exterior, interior, and glass
- Ceramic tint
- Abstract ocean replacement light set 13+4
- Rear trunk cargo holder
- Glass screen protector on the two screens (hydrophobic and oleophobic)
- Supplies to hand wash the car (bucket, microfibers, optimum)
- Cable manager for the wall
- Twin mattress
- T-Sportline rims
- T-Sportline spoiler
- Upgraded pedals
- There are probably some things I am missing. The list grew quite long...

Thanks Erik

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJones390
I see dash cams getting mentioned so often around here.

Why does everyone have one? Honest question. What benefits does it bring?

I got one because I spent over 100k on a car and don't want people claiming an accident was my fault, unless it truly was, because I have a nice car. It eliminates and he/she said issues that could arise from an accident. I also don't want anyone messing with my car while at work, not in a garage, and have no proof of it. For the cost, <$400, it's great for peace of mind.

Also, there are a TON of accident videos recorded with dash cams on YouTube. Interesting to watch some of them.

Thanks Erik

Same thing as putting cameras on police officers and in police cruisers and on Wal-Mart roofs.

I guess I should clarify my question then. Doesn't it only record whatever you see out of the front windshield?

What happens on the other 3 large sides of the car (2 sides and the back) and how does it catch someone doing anything if they are messing with your car but are only in camera view?

Not being cynical of why people have one but weighing which aftermarket items to purchase from this thread on my pending delivery.

Thanks for all the feedback.

$39.99 Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shade. We use it all the time we're parked for more than 15 minutes in the SoCal sun. Makes a BIG difference in interior cabin air temperature.

Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shade

Mounts on the OUTSIDE of your windshield to keep "greenhouse effect" solar rays from entering your cabin. Rolls up and fits perfectly behind the rear seats.

Yes I know its a Snow shade but it works great in the sun... Confirmed by the manufacturer in sunny Chino CA (SoCal).

• Informative
Reactions: Magus and ModelX
Is there anyone else who can confirm that the Tesla all-weather mats worth the price of $250?
I like my Tesla all-weather mats (interior, and rear trunk), they fit my 70D perfectly. The newest version of front interior mats from Tesla have a front edge that goes up slightly higher up into the footwell that the ones I got last December, but no matter I still like mine.

as for must-have accessories... these couple items aren't top 5 but they're inexpensive and useful
1) low profile* USB flash drive to store your music collection, like this one
2) low profile* dual USB charger, with high enough current output to charge two tablets or phones, like this one

*low profile so it doesn't interfere with closing the flip lid of the front console, if you have one

btw @Cnasty some dashcams like the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH have separate front & rear cameras (i.e. 2 Channel). In addition to recording while driving, when parked it can trigger on G-force shock to the car or by motion within field of view of either camera. Basically it's always recording when powered - an event trigger causes the video file to be saved starting 5sec before the event. So while not having a perfect 360degree view, chances are if something happens around your car one of the cameras might catch it. +1 for dashcam as a recommended accessory.

btw @Cnasty some dashcams like the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH have separate front & rear cameras (i.e. 2 Channel). In addition to recording while driving, when parked it can trigger on G-force shock to the car or by motion within field of view of either camera. Basically it's always recording when powered - an event trigger causes the video file to be saved starting 5sec before the event. So while not having a perfect 360degree view, chances are if something happens around your car one of the cameras might catch it. +1 for dashcam as a recommended accessory.

I didnt know it had that capability. That's fantastic.

How is storage on a device like this? Does it delete as it records old footage? Certain space amount? How does it handle ongoing video.

I need to research this!

I didnt know it had that capability. That's fantastic.

How is storage on a device like this? Does it delete as it records old footage? Certain space amount? How does it handle ongoing video.

I need to research this!
Video is stored on microSD card. the 650-2CH supports up to 128GB card, but it comes with a smaller card in the box. When the card fills up, the dashcam automatically deletes older clips to make room. I have a 128GB card and depending how much I'm driving during the week it can hold maybe a week's worth or so of video clips. Individual video clips are 1-3 min long mp4 files (user selectable).

You can pull the card out and plug into your PC to view using a viewer app, or you can connect to the dashcam via wifi directly via smartphone to view the files. there's an optional Cloud feature that lets you download or browse video files if the dashcam is connected to wifi (e.g. your home wifi, or celluar wifi hotspot). Check out a site like blackboxmycar to learn more, they've got some interesting video samples too

Reactions: Cnasty
Video is stored on microSD card. the 650-2CH supports up to 128GB card, but it comes with a smaller card in the box. When the card fills up, the dashcam automatically deletes older clips to make room. I have a 128GB card and depending how much I'm driving during the week it can hold maybe a week's worth or so of video clips. Individual video clips are 1-3 min long mp4 files (user selectable).

You can pull the card out and plug into your PC to view using a viewer app, or you can connect to the dashcam via wifi directly via smartphone to view the files. there's an optional Cloud feature that lets you download or browse video files if the dashcam is connected to wifi (e.g. your home wifi, or celluar wifi hotspot). Check out a site like blackboxmycar to learn more, they've got some interesting video samples too

You're a fantastic resource. More fun to look at before my ride gets here.

Thanks a bunch.