Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 seat mx 75 or audi e tron

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently debating between these two cars. Pricing wise they are similar with options. I understand that this is a tesla fan club but I wanted to get some feedback regardless.

Have seen the MX in person and test driven one too. They had an e tron on display at a local dealer here and I got to sit in it and poke around but no test drive.

Tesla Pros
- established charging network
- AP hardware
- cool doors

Audi Pros
- interior is stunning
- service network
- overall build quality

I am currently debating between these two cars. Pricing wise they are similar with options. I understand that this is a tesla fan club but I wanted to get some feedback regardless.

Have seen the MX in person and test driven one too. They had an e tron on display at a local dealer here and I got to sit in it and poke around but no test drive.

Tesla Pros
- established charging network
- AP hardware
- cool doors

Audi Pros
- interior is stunning
- service network
- overall build quality

I’ve test driven the e-tron (Prestige trim - fully loaded).

E-tron pros:
- build quality is great
- real luxury vehicle (not just price but the feel of the materials)
- $7500 federal tax credit

E-tron cons:
- range (204mi vs Model X SR 255mi)
- slow (5.5sec vs 4.6sec SR Raven vs 4.9sec 75D vs 4.7sec 100D)
- cargo space (X has more cu. ft with 5 seats configuration

The deal breaker for me was the range and how heavy the e-tron felt accelerating. I’ve test driven the 75D and it was just so much more fun and responsive as one would expect in an electric vehicle.

However, I highly suggest you test drive the Audi E-tron before making a decision to confirm for yourself which is a “better” car. Don’t make the decision based on other’s POV.

I heard great things about interior quality in the E-tron, and that it is one of the most quiet cars. That being said, the range is a deal-breaker for me. Also, going driving back and forth my model 3 and the Merc E-coupe I find myself in a more plush interior in the Merc, all at the expense of the million button interface - I suspect it will be similar with the Audi. It is amazing how Tesla is still the only manufacturer who got the user interface right. Yes I can do everything on the Merc, it is just irritating toggling between so sub-menus.

You could also look at the Mercedes ECQ - slightly faster, slightly longer range. Not sure when they start deliveries though. In the end, I suspect neither of them will be as much fun to drive as a Tesla.

Yeah, without the charging network, you may end up renting cars for trips, or needing a second vehicle. Which can be fine, but that partially defeats the purpose of having a pure EV.

I had been interested in the Kona from Hyundai because of the lifetime battery warranty, but after doing some research, I found that Tesla's really don't have battery longevity problems, so I crossed the Kona off my list in favor of the Model 3.

The question you should have: What's the longevity of the most costly component in the e-tron?

In my humble opinion, Model X is no brainer, I have the 2018 X75D and a 2017 Maserati Lavente and came off a Jaguar XJ SC, and yes the Maserati finish is nicer by far with nice Italian cow stitch and fun to drive with the muffler in sport mode but Tesla is so much better to sit back and relax in short and long trips with the autopilot that nothing else really compares to. I've driven my buddy's Benz 2018 GLE 63S that's like $120k and he has all the trimmings but the Lane Keep is just crap keep, bounces between the lines slowly and total garbage, driving to NYC from Boston on 9 hours trip with two guys taking turns is still brutal compared to Tesla AP.

Yes Tesla u have to stop and charge up but the AP takes the brain damage out of driving, I've done two road trips to NYC already with a 3rd one next month and I have the small battery with slow charging but on 16.2 firmware now so should be interesting. Sure sometimes sitting in parking lot waiting for charge blows small chunks but it's only the case because you dont realize how relaxed and not tired you're from AP doing driving for you, otherwise you'd take the break anyway so you can stretch and rest a bit.

Plus the over the air updates keeps throwing new features your way, things like Sentry mode and Dash Cam and Summon are little icing on the cake. Without the ability to self-update, none of the other car maker can match it anytime soon. Without enough charge point that can juice up your Audi or Porsche, it will be taking the range anxiety to a new level.

Good luck with the decision.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
For an around town car, the Audi looks pretty good, and has a nice upscale interior.

If you sometimes want to use the car to take trips longer than 200 miles, the Tesla is the only choice due to their Supercharger network and autopilot. In congested commuting, the Tesla might even be better for commuting.

First reports say the Audi is a slug to drive. Little driver involvement.

And remember to protect the battery you normally charge to 80-90% every night. That means Audi only gives you 160miles while Tesla is still over 200 miles.

ding ding ding, plus, the public has no idea how this car will hold up over the course of multiple years. People have said that Audi has neutered the battery on purpose but then will release more range in the future via OTA updates....but even if that is the case, I don't expect them to magically find 100 more miles for the battery. So, as a buyer, do you want to invest in 'new tech' from a vendor who hasn't been proven in this space or do you want something more reliably tested (warts an all in some cases).

For me, it's a no brainer to go with a vendor whose been doing it for many years opposed to someone who just entered the market.

Reactions: posity
looked at the E Tron because I wanted the superior fit and finish. I drove it and it was slow, the range was terrible, no AP (which I really enjoy) and no supercharging network. Bought a Model S the next day. If you go to the Audi message boards a lot of them are complaining about range so if that's an issue you may want to factor that in. Here's some real world testing from Electrek

https://electrek.co/2019/05/28/tesla-ev-efficiency-test-kona-ev-audi-e-tron/

Reactions: BigMskiman
well I'm biased too. I've owned many German cars (Porsche's, BMW's and a Mini) and the GTR was the only Japanese car in 20 years. So I really wanted the fit and finish of a German car. That being said, you have to understand that you're buying a Tesla for what's underneath the hood (ie battery techology, superchargers, UI, etc). Now that I've in a Tesla, wondering why it took me so long to get one...

looked at the E Tron because I wanted the superior fit and finish. I drove it and it was slow, the range was terrible, no AP (which I really enjoy) and no supercharging network. Bought a Model S the next day. If you go to the Audi message boards a lot of them are complaining about range so if that's an issue you may want to factor that in. Here's some real world testing from Electrek

Tesla dominates EV efficiency at high speed, shows extensive test against Kona EV and Audi e-tron - Electrek

The e-tron actually has a similar feature of the Autopilot, which is the Driver Assistance Package. Perhaps, the E-tron model you test drove was didn’t have the feature...? I’ve tested their so called Autopilot and it just doesn’t compare to how Tesla does it. It’s more like lane keeping assist with adaptive cruise control only. It felt weird coz it automatically disengages and re-engages. I didn’t feel comfortable using it and part of it is I’ve gotten so used to with Tesla’s AP and how clear it is when you’re on Autopilot. Needless to say that Tesla is superior!

https://electrek.co/2019/05/28/tesla-ev-efficiency-test-kona-ev-audi-e-tron/

The e-tron actually has a similar feature of the Autopilot, which is the Driver Assistance Package. Perhaps, the E-tron model you test drove was didn’t have the feature...? I’ve tested their so called Autopilot and it just doesn’t compare to how Tesla does it. It’s more like lane keeping assist with adaptive cruise control only. It felt weird coz it automatically disengages and re-engages. I didn’t feel comfortable using it and part of it is I’ve gotten so used to with Tesla’s AP and how clear it is when you’re on Autopilot. Needless to say that Tesla is superior!

Attachments

• 783738C1-8F1A-4816-AB76-3C680CFAD0C1.png
    783738C1-8F1A-4816-AB76-3C680CFAD0C1.png
    724.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 0D71C3DC-1570-4580-892E-CA8DB5709CBF.png
    0D71C3DC-1570-4580-892E-CA8DB5709CBF.png
    724.3 KB · Views: 49
that's what I said, Audi doesn't have AP or at least nothing that is remotely comparable to to AP

Electric car's range is the most crucial and most practical factor, no matter how big the battery is, chances you run into range anxiety would happen, more so when you have a car with shorter range and smaller charging network. If you download PlugShare, and limit the plugs to CCS, you can get a picture of how many of them out there you can use for long distance travel. Tap on a few you may notice the reviews are lousy. Then add Tesla super chargers in the same app, you can see a boat load of them, and more than 90% of them get 90% to 100% rating.

Teslas can use Tesla charging network and CCS, but E-Tron can only use CCS. For that, Model X is a no brainer.

German auto makers simply cannot compete with Silicon Valley in terms of self driving technology. I’ve had 3 BMWs over the past few years and they all came with adaptive cruise control. I could not trust it 90% of the time.

ACC on my BMWs didn’t work when the sun is too bright, when the road is too dark, it slammed the brake when I was only 10 feet away from the slowing traffic on the freeway.

Whenever I’m behind the wheel in a Tesla, I think of myself as a human annotator for Tesla’s computer vision algorithm. It only gets better over time as they collect more and more training data.

Its much easier for Tesla to catch up with Interior fit/quality than German automakers to catch up with battery tech and AP.

Reactions: BigMskiman
Whatever happened to 'Buy American'? Designed in America, built in America, parts sourced in America. Support the company that is putting it all on the line, that believes in 'doing the right thing' for our environment (rather than reluctantly being a me-too, dragged into the EV market). I bought my X as much on principle as I did on its features and design.

And, as others have said, the Supercharger network makes it a no-brainer. Especially as the SuperCharger network V3 goes online and you can charge at 1000 MPH - who wants to wait for a putt-putt L2 charge while you're on the road? I would think this is especially important for resale value as the rest of the world of new EV buyers figures out the value of Superchargers.

An EV without a comprehensive fast charging network is nothing but an expensive lawn decoration.

Last edited:
And remember to protect the battery you normally charge to 80-90% every night. That means Audi only gives you 160miles while Tesla is still over 200 miles.

Is that really true for the e-tron? I thought that Audi locked out a decent portion of the battery, so that while it has a 95 kWh pack, only 81ish kWh is actually usable. So if even you charged it to "100%", it wouldn't be anywhere close to 100% raw SOC, so charging to 100% every day would actually not be an issue. And that's also why the e-tron can charge at such high speeds even at high SOC.
Can anyone confirm what % of the e-tron's battery pack is usable?