Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like any accessory inside/on a vehicle, it (likely) goes towards payload.
Guess this truck is completely useless now... it has fuel in the bed eating payload capacity, completely a useless overweight trunkless sedan now.

1705197511841.png

Guess this truck is completely useless now... it has fuel in the bed eating payload capacity, completely a useless overweight trunkless sedan now.

View attachment 1008694
I'm guessing the only people who buy 91 gallon diesel tanks are people who also have this:
1705198210041.png

In which case the truck is useful for towing massive loads and nothing else.

I bet Tesla is never going to make the range extender. They'll just make a longer range Cybertruck. Obviously they don't want to cannibalize future sales by announcing it now.

Gas that is not permanent. We should acknowledge the difference between a permanent load and a temporary/flexible load if we are all being honest.

Do you know of anyone that removes the gas box on the truck they own? I know 4 people that have them. I will ask if, when, and why they are moved if ever. Even if empty they weigh about 145 lbs for the transfer type without the pump system. Driving around empty would not be so smart if one really uses it. If one is using it as an Aux tank into the main system even less likely.

So what is the difference if one never takes it out before I go and ask. Both seem to be a major pain to remove. One could be done by two men, one at a service center.

I'm guessing the only people who buy 91 gallon diesel tanks are people who also have this:
View attachment 1008695
In which case the truck is useful for towing massive loads and nothing else.

I bet Tesla is never going to make the range extender. They'll just make a longer range Cybertruck. Obviously they don't want to cannibalize future sales by announcing it now.
I am not in the group that believes the CT is built to haul a 5th wheel trailer. The CT is made so Uncle Fester can get to his favorite fishing launch ramp, Home Depot, mulch yard, local dump, move kids to college, etc etc,.

A fully kitted out Diesel 5th wheel has about the same specs as a Tesla Semi, which has a 500 mile range and aligns with double-axle semi-trucks. By law, A double-axle semi, also called a tandem axle, can haul up to 34,000 pounds. These limits include the freight and trailer weight combined before loads which can be up to 82K pounds. Hell just the trailer weights about 15K pounds empty. No one on this board is saying the CT is a 5th wheel compatible truck, and you a probably right, they are either pulling a large load or they are supporting equipment in the field that needs fuel (tractors, bull dozers, lawn equipment, backhoes, etc..) The best payload I can find is the Dodge Ram https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilder/service/Image?imageId=MtQrP/FqLY5r/est8MtGjGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBOluWOlfKj9Q That can tow about 34K pounds...

Tesla's Crafty Move? - Carbon Credits, The Extender, GVWR, and Payload

Attachments

• Ram_HD_D2 4x4 Weight & Tow_MY23.pdf
    219.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
After a little digging, found a thread. Sure it can be done, but one person on this forum said it seems like a pain, and dealing with gas wouldn't intrigue me. 30 some page manual for a tank to remove. One person said the dealer wouldn't touch it. Watching other videos show brackets and screwing into the frame of the truck and extensive work underneath in disconnection from the main tank underneath. So an hour and enjoying working with gas, and making sure your connections are nice and safe.

Do you know of anyone that removes the gas box on the truck they own? I know 4 people that have them. I will ask if, when, and why they are moved if ever. Even if empty they weigh about 145 lbs for the transfer type without the pump system. Driving around empty would not be so smart if one really uses it. If one is using it as an Aux tank into the main system even less likely.

So what is the difference if one never takes it out before I go and ask. Both seem to be a major pain to remove. One could be done by two men, one at a service center.
Most of us use them to fill up on rather cheap fuel when on the road, some people use them to refill equipment with red diesel.

Reactions: ngng
If Tesla is claiming I think it was 475 miles with the range extender
(AKA 475mi * 254mi/318mi = 380mi when new with A/S LRR tires. More like 318mi/340mi*380mi = 355mi with A/T.)

This is when new. After 1-2 years, expect 353mi or 330mi (7% lower).

If you want to leave comfortable margin and recharge at 3%, after 1-2 years:

353*0.955*0.97 = 330mi (LRR A/S). Or 306mi A/T.

At freeway speeds, 70mph. (All at best, assuming adding ~600 pounds of battery has zero impact on range - basically just going off the Tesla figures - it's possible it is more than a 50kWh pack (which is what you get roughly by scaling) to account for this, in order for them to make their claimed numbers - or they may just underdeliver, or never deliver.)

There’s not really any reason for them to bother with a test mule to test the range. They know that without even building anything.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Evee and zoomer0056