Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read it, fanboys are now changing their tune that it was never meant to be a Truck to Tow anything and it’s just a “lifestyle truck” hahahaha
As a "fan boy", it's mission specific, kinda like picking the right gun for the job. If you need a long range knock down gun, grab a sniper rifle or if you need to tow the Hill William glamour palace to a NASCAR event four states away, grab a diesel truck for that mission. If I need to go to home depot to get a load of mulch and don't want to get that pretty dainty CT bed dirty, get a walled utility trailer, to do the 40 miles round trip - think of this mission as a Short Barrel Rifle mission, we need to do it a lot, but it closer in. A really short pull, might be to get your local neighbor out of ditch, lets call that one a 45 Auto mission... range doesn't matter, but accuracy and knock down punch does... freak anything can tow, I've done it with my motorcycle and my electric bike, but that doesn't mean its the right tool for the mission or the best use case.

Last edited:
As a "fan boy", it's mission specific, kinda like picking the right gun for the job. If you need a long range knock down gun, grab a sniper rifle or if you need to tow the Hill William glamour palace to a NASCAR event four states away, grab a diesel truck for that mission. If I need to go to home depot to get a load of mulch and don't want to get that pretty dainty CT bed dirty, get a walled utility trailer, to do the 40 miles round trip - think of this mission as a Short Barrel Rifle mission, we need to do it a lot, but it closer in. A really short pull, might be to get your local neighbor out of ditch, lets call that one a 45 Auto mission... range doesn't matter, but accuracy and knock down punch does... freak anything can tow, I've done it with my motorcycle and my electric bike, but that doesn't mean its the right tool for the mission or the best use case.

What mission is that? The Mall?

How the story has changed from: “towing monster” “Will change the Truck Segment” “ The most aerodynamic” to “Mission Specific”

Hold Tesla Accountable for once. I get it’s the new shinny toy and you have to have it for the pointing and pictures but damn, the “Leader” in the EV industry has put out a mediocre product that’s being pushed by their Social Media PR Department as “Amazing” smh

Pretty much.
CT is the ultimate shopping machine!

Not towing. Not trucking. Not off-roading.
But for mall runs - think about it - the storage in the trunk is plentiful, it can be locked, the range doesn't matter, and you get all the attention you desire.

It's a shopping mall winner!
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fa4f007fd-7c87-49bc-98b9-6d29216e1295_450x250.gif

To the “mission specific” argument … well… why buy a Cybertruck then when its range / tow / payload isn’t any better than a 2yr old F150 Lightning … which you can pick up right now for high 60s for XLT or low 70s for Lariat ? No wait. No forced 100k “foundation series” gimmicks…

Because no one is going to point at me and take pictures. I won’t be able to make videos on how I wrapped my Truck the 100th time. More importantly, a regular Truck interior has too many buttons 🤣

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Silverado EV is an absolute unit.
Silverado EV vs. Cybertruck charging curve:
View attachment 1008810View attachment 1008811
Tried to make this comparison more clear. It's not 100% exact but as close as I could get it eyeballing it. Silverado certainly impressive.

Of course once you realize it has over 200kWh (it's nominally 215kWh @ C/3) of pack it's not quite as impressive.

overlay.png

Here's adding a scaled Cybertruck version to 200kWh from 123kWh. Silverado still does ok and actually still outperforms. So clearly the range extender won't get the CT to match the Silverado. It will require software changes or pack changes:

overlay2.png

From EPA submission:

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 12.17.22 PM.png

It does seem like the Cybertruck would have met the 500-mile spec with a 215kWh pack (~440 miles on the highway!).

Last edited:
To the “mission specific” argument … well… why buy a Cybertruck then when its range / tow / payload isn’t any better than a 2yr old F150 Lightning … which you can pick up right now for high 60s for XLT or low 70s for Lariat ? No wait. No forced 100k “foundation series” gimmicks…
One simple answer...the Ford dealership network, I looked at the Ford, but then the dealer wanted a markup and I never went back. (They are 3 miles from my house and I already have a love-hate relationship with my 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid). I don't think I will ever get another Ford again.

Last edited:
Tried to make this comparison more clear. It's not 100% exact but as close as I could get it eyeballing it. Silverado certainly impressive.

Of course once you realize it has over 200kWh (it's nominally 215kWh @ C/3) of pack it's not quite as impressive.

Here's adding a scaled Cybertruck version to 200kWh from 123kWh. Silverado still does ok and actually still outperforms. So clearly the range extender won't get the CT to match the Silverado. It will require software changes or pack changes:
Great job at scaling the data for closer comparison.

You did, however, forget to account forthe 20 - 30 minutes wasted on the phone with customer support, having to move between chargers, wait an hour for the Bolt to finish at the 350 KW stall or the extra 1.5 hours spent at the 50 kW station.
Hopefully, access to the Supercharger network by the end of this year will improve this.

You did, however, forget to account forthe 20 - 30 minutes wasted on the phone with customer support, having to move between chargers, wait an hour for the Bolt to finish at the 350 KW stall or the extra 1.5 hours spent at the 50 kW station.
Hopefully, access to the Supercharger network by the end of this year will improve this.
NAILED the CCS charging experience. 100% spot on, not one lie was told nor truth stretched.

Yeah, I would wait for the NACS version. Of course it will charge much slower on a V3 supercharger. Not sure if it supports 250kW or if it would be current limited to 175kW...

Yeah the first thing they should fix on all these chargers is have payment tied to the vehicle, with no requirement to use a card (though obviously could still be an option if desired).

Definitely wait for NACS and hope Supercharging networks improve. The minute or two delay (or more) on getting the charge started is huge.

Yeah the first thing they should fix on all these chargers is have payment tied to the vehicle, with no requirement to use a card (though obviously could still be an option if desired).

Definitely wait for NACS and hope Supercharging networks improve. The minute or two delay (or more) on getting the charge started is huge.
Plug and charge is avail on certain CCS networks, within certain CCS vehicles.
Rivian had to pull one network from theirs.

Let’s not forget that a magicdock maxes slower than CCS. Amp limited, heavily discussed in many threads. Which likely translates to all NACS adapters, but we shall seeeeee.

Which likely translates to all NACS adapters, but we shall seeeeee.
Yeah that is why you don’t use any adapters and use a 500kW station. When those are ready and plentiful, and trucks have NACS, trucks will be ready.

Seems pretty clear. 350kW is not going to get the job done (though of course if it tapers later it’s potentially acceptable as discussed earlier). In any case need to charge at maximum possible rate, over 3.2C, for a decent range of SOC.

Last edited:
Yep. The mission is the burbs. Cyburbtruck for the win.

Hopefully they make quick progress on the new 4680 chemistry. I wouldn't order one until we hear some range performance improvements, vaporware progress, and more specifics on repair/insurance. Instead of FOMO it's fear of buying one (FOBO).

Like many, I'm done buying overpriced Teslas. Tesla's giga business plan favors waiting until production ramps up. And it's a must. Without a significant production ramp up, the CT will continue to bleed money.

Last edited:
Yeah that is why you don’t use any adapters and use a 500kW station. When those are ready and plentiful, and trucks have NACS, trucks will be ready.

Seems pretty clear. 350kW is not going to get the job done (though of course if it tapers later it’s potentially acceptable as discussed earlier). In any case need to charge at maximum possible rate, over 3.2C, for a decent range of SOC.
Show me where these 500kW stations are in the wild? The adapters will come long before 500kW replaces 250/350kW stations and even then EA will find a way to royally screw up.

Current charging speeds work fine, CCS does not.

Current charging speeds work fine, CCS does not.
I think maybe you missed earlier posts. Anyway 350kW is not enough. Close - but the extra couple minutes per charge session is important; it’s a struggle that is essential- have to be faster than the Model 3.

Certainly 250kW is not enough.

Anyway all covered above.

Show me where these 500kW stations are in the wild?
They don’t exist AFAIK - but soon hopefully v4 will arrive and should support these speeds though initially may not be turned on.

But clearly essential going forward with 200kWh packs - not much point in having a big pack if you can’t charge it just as fast (in time, not kW)!!!

Reactions: Daniel in SD