Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After all the hype of battery day, I’m a little disappointed with all of this (cybertruck real world range test, charging curve.. etc)

I realize there are weight/efficiency trade offs, but I’m not sure the current range is at a good point.

If Tesla succeeds in increasing energy density on 4680 (rumors have said they will, and there’s also been reports of density increases planned for Panasonic 2170s), cybertruck/other tesla products could become significantly more compelling.

And with the $45 per kWh subsidy for battery+pack production, Tesla should really go full steam ahead improving capacity/range.
Pure speculation on my part, but I think the reason why Tesla wasn't able to come to market with a truck that gets better range than Rivian or Ford is because they're internally struggling to implement manufacturing of their dry cell batteries.

Didn’t have enough power to maintain 70 at 249mi :p
0% at 244mi. Personally I’ve never had the guts to go below 3%.
“10% Challenge” fixes these problems, and it is there that the Cybertruck will truly shine. 😉

where the vehicle will brick

vehicles bricking
No need to be too dramatic. A tow and a “12V” (48V) replacement (probably not since it doesn’t care if it gets discharged) or lots of 48V fiddling, and struggling to get the car back to a good state, possibly requiring service center assistance, for sure.

But bricking (this means the HV battery is destroyed)? Has that happened recently? I haven’t heard of it.

I am disappointed they put it in transport mode (seemed like a pain). I wonder if they were forced to (did not watch that part)? Better to get a tow before shutdown I guess, and get some regen at higher speeds and add some energy! Bit risky though. But having run down an EV once and running over the tow rope because the power brakes and steering (and regen!) didn’t work (distracting!), it is best to just get towed when the car is still functional, even if you aren’t planning on getting regen.

Last edited:
If people think the range is a shocker wait until owners who have never owned a Truck before have to replace those Tires. They will be pricey.
They’re less than the cost of decent summer tires for any other tesla.

$436. Not even the most expensive Tesla OEM tire and they probably last a lot longer.
For a 35” tire with foam (?) and rated to 13XMPH, doesn’t seem bad.

So without the extended battery it takes 45 minutes to charge the CT from 10% to 80%.
With the extended battery it should only take about 1 hr 30 minutes to go from 10% to 80% 🤣
Hard pass on the CT. Rather stay with my Y.
😂

“I can’t charge 135kWh as fast as 72kWh” “my 3500lb tow capacity is way better than 11k lbs”
“My toilet uses 1.1gal per flush”

At what temperature? I think it was slightly cold for that review, so the fair weather range might be about 20 more miles or so. Still not what I would have like to have seen from Cybertruck, though.
46 degrees. Battery hot so I doubt it would make much difference. Heat pump will pull cabin heat from battery in that case.

Some have suggested the new battery cells are a major part of why the range isn't better. I actually hope that's true, as it would mean range could improve quite a bit without architectural changes (to the truck sans battery) once they iron out the issues.

Also, folks, remember it's winter here in the northern hemisphere. Those range tests were not in ideal conditions. The range will probably be a little better on a nice day.

I also wonder if you could boost range further by switching the tires out to some road tires; the tires it comes with look pretty gnarly.

Reactions: DanCar
So without the extended battery it takes 45 minutes to charge the CT from 10% to 80%.
With the extended battery it should only take about 1 hr 30 minutes to go from 10% to 80% 🤣

I guess you are just trying to irritate. Haha. This is just incorrect.

1) The extender is not twice as big. Only 40% increase.

2) It will charge at exactly the same rate at 250kW posts for points where it currently charges below 178kW, which is above 35%.

So it will only charge slower % wise from 5-35%. 40% slower %/min. And from 35% to 80% it will charge at the same rate (%/min).

And really the with REX won’t be much slower at all on v4 with current charge profile.

Heat pump will pull cabin heat from battery in that case.
Yeah. Cabin starts warm. Would have preferred test be done with the heat off though. Anyway they did 488Wh/mi for 254mi (124kWh). The test took four hours. If you go with a hefty 1kW for cabin heating at 67 degrees average (just a guess and might be better with the heat pump and heat from the battery), that's just 4kWh, 16Wh/mi.

Without heat they'd have done at best 472Wh/mi, 263 miles. (And I think that's likely high.)

Some have suggested the new battery cells are a major part of why the range isn't better. I actually hope that's true, as it would mean range could improve quite a bit without architectural changes once they iron out the issues.
Yep, give it a year. They have been working on these cells since 2020 and have had the v1 in production since April 2023 in the Model Y. Hopefully they can iterate to v3 and get another 10% in another 6-8 months. It's a seriously underperforming cell on capacity and charge speed. The charge speed is super concerning and hopefully can be resolved with software soon.

It's a very rough look for Tesla right now. With another 20% capacity and spectacular charge speed (400kW up to 25-30%) it would be a compelling truck (for road trips), and one has to hope that's in the cards soon, along with V4 superchargers everywhere within the year.

With the range extender won't tesla have to cut the payload of the Truck significantly to keep the GVWR of the Truck under 10,000 lbs?
Probably, but it doesn't matter - the "range extender" is a joke.
If you pay Tesla SC $16K to install it, the truck stops being a truck. CT then becomes an overweight trunk-less sedan with a bunch of heavy sh@t in the back. Totally useless.

a