Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 Mile Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post, so please bear with me.
On 10/31, I ordered a black MX, FSD, 5 seat. Have not received a VIN or any information other than my reservation number. I assume it will be late Dec. The X has a stated range of 328 miles and goes 0-60 in 4.4 secs. The base price is $84K. Tonight the Tesla truck was released. The tri-motor version will have 500 miles of range and go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Granted the price of the tri-motor truck has not been released and it won’t be available for a couple of years but it seems Tesla will have to put this improved range and speed into their most expensive model. How can they not? Part of me is wondering if I should cancel the X and wait for the next version which should have increased range, even if it’s not 500 miles. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Tesla is focused on the 3 and the Y, and to a certain extent the new Cybertruck. I doubt that the MX and the MS will ever see real changes beyond minor things under the hood such as the Raven's new M3 front motor. Besides, the battery space for the X is basically tapped out, while the battery space for the truck is ridiculous. The top range 100Kwh battery has been out for 3 years (2017-2019) and the range increase due to new motor efficiency is 31 miles (297 to 328). There's no way any new MX redesign (not coming) would get you 500+ mile range. If you want 500-mile range, wait for the truck or the Roadster 2020. If you want an MX, 328 is probably it.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
Unclear Tesla will make a 500+ mile pack for the X. That range is primarily useful for towing - and if that only represents a small percentage of the Model X owner community, Tesla may decide not to add a 500+ mile pack option for the X. We could see smaller improvements (400 miles?) based on evolutions of the battery technology - which will be limited by the space available for X/S battery packs.

The Cybertruck is probably going to be a much better choice for towing. It's likely a heavier vehicle, making it more practical to tow larger loads (14K pounds vs. 5K pounds).

It's interesting that Tesla is going to reverse their normal order of model introduction with the Cybertruck - by waiting a year to produce the higher priced performance model with 500+ mile range and instead focus on the lower priced (and higher volume) models first.

Reactions: deltajent
It's interesting that Tesla is going to reverse their normal order of model introduction with the Cybertruck - by waiting a year to produce the higher priced performance model with 500+ mile range and instead focus on the lower priced (and higher volume) models first.

If this isn’t an indicator of projected sales, or lack thereof, I don’t know what is.

First post, so please bear with me.
On 10/31, I ordered a black MX, FSD, 5 seat. Have not received a VIN or any information other than my reservation number. I assume it will be late Dec. The X has a stated range of 328 miles and goes 0-60 in 4.4 secs. The base price is $84K. Tonight the Tesla truck was released. The tri-motor version will have 500 miles of range and go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Granted the price of the tri-motor truck has not been released and it won’t be available for a couple of years but it seems Tesla will have to put this improved range and speed into their most expensive model. How can they not? Part of me is wondering if I should cancel the X and wait for the next version which should have increased range, even if it’s not 500 miles. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

You are looking for a 60% increase in performance of an existing product. That's probably unrealistic.

What's one big difference of a Pickup over a sedan? Lot's more room for batteries.

You can feel free to wait for the best. BTW, have you bought a computer yet? Or are you still waiting for the best one to be made?

Reactions: SSedan and mswlogo
You are looking for a 60% increase in performance of an existing product. That's probably unrealistic.

What's one big difference of a Pickup over a sedan? Lot's more room for batteries.

You can feel free to wait for the best. BTW, have you bought a computer yet? Or are you still waiting for the best one to be made?[/QUOTE
Ha yes, after I posted I thought to myself, it’s like a cell phone. Keep waiting and you will never own one. And your point about 60% increased performance is well taken. It’s just that I’m going to be disappointed if they announce increased range after I buy. But those who bought before raven or autopilot version 1 took it in stride and still love their car and I will too.

Tesla is focused on the 3 and the Y, and to a certain extent the new Cybertruck. I doubt that the MX and the MS will ever see real changes beyond minor things under the hood such as the Raven's new M3 front motor. Besides, the battery space for the X is basically tapped out, while the battery space for the truck is ridiculous. The top range 100Kwh battery has been out for 3 years (2017-2019) and the range increase due to new motor efficiency is 31 miles (297 to 328). There's no way any new MX redesign (not coming) would get you 500+ mile range. If you want 500-mile range, wait for the truck or the Roadster 2020. If you want an MX, 328 is probably it.
I guess you haven’t heard of the plaid version S/X coming next year.

If this isn’t an indicator of projected sales, or lack thereof, I don’t know what is.
A reflection of battery. That's 7 powerwalls for 79k. You get 7 powerwalls and the truck happens to come wrapped around them...oh and it is a tough as nails badass truck with best ground clearance in class. Oh fastest too. Oh and tows more than a f150- right on edge of 250/350 tow capacity. The missing story, though many tesla fans have noticed (I was not the first, started to post about it and then saw others had already done so) it is not being discussed in the media. The cost implication is huge, they plan to cut battery cost in half by 2022 is how I figure it.

Reactions: ohmman
By eliminating the need for a body frame (the exterior provides the frame), they could be reducing the manufacturing cost enough to help cover the increased battery cost.
Enough so that the truck is free if you buy a bunch of powerwalls? I am sure the cuts in time, capax, labor, etc are valuable- the cut in the paint shop..also critical. However, you are getting a truck for free if you buy the powerwalls (based on current pricing). That is pretty cool.

The 500+ mile range model will likely have 250 KWh of battery storage (Musk mentioned that during the unveiling), the equivalent of 18.5 PowerWall 2s.

But, even though Tesla is planning to provide a 110 and 220 outlet, those outlets will be output limited and probably wouldn't provide the same output as 18.5 PowerWall 2s - which could provide up to 92 KW of continuous power.

Doubt a Cybertruck will be configured so it could be used as a home backup power generator...

@bob_p that's a nice question to contemplate though isn't it. 18.5 powerwalls, gosh..and a truck...huh. And 220 out? So...at that level it is not missing being a backup power source by very much. Run a fridge and lights off of it, even keep a heatpump/ac running. Wonder what loads are like on that 220. To be useful in construction it would have to be fairly beefy ...can it handle a 220 table saw spinning up or a 15" planer? if so it could handle a heatpump.

Anyhow, fun stuff, nice to contemplate.

Each PowerWall 2 is rated for 13.5 KWh of power, and can sustain 5 KW of output, with a limit of 30A.

We have 4 PowerWall 2's being installed at our house - which will provide 20 KW of continuous power - which should be enough to power our house off the grid when the packs are full and our solar panels are getting sunlight.

A 250KWh battery pack for the CyberTruck could theoretically over 90 KW of continuous power - but only if the system was designed to transfer that much power through a connection, which seems highly unlikely.

What's more likely is that the 220V outlet is a 14-50, limited to providing up to 40A or around 9 KW of continuous power - which could be used to charge another Tesla, but probably not enough to power a house (especially items like air conditioners or pool pumps).