Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

501(c)3 for HPWC's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
What do you guys think about forming a nationwide 501(c)3 to allow for donations and installations of HPWC's at commercial establishments? (Or does something like that already exists?)

e.g. There is a 501(c)3 for Plug In North-Central Washington that's currently installing HPWC's and 90A L2 chargers:
North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project

So would be great to be able to have such an organization nationwide.

This would make it significantly easier to donate a HPWC, especially if you work in a company with corporate matching.

So e.g. currently an HPWC is $1200.
Corporate matching would bring it down to $600.
After the tax deduction, the $600 drops to $400 out of pocket.

Then there is also installation costs, with various state-wide incentives.

I think in order for the system to really take of, if someone donates a sum for an entire HPWC + installation, the donor would have to be able to specify the approximate location of the charger.

I imagine it being something like a web site, where you enter the details of the location, contact information etc., make a donation via credit card (or whatever form your company does donations in), and the 501(c)3 would buy the charger and arrange for payment of the installation. It can also be set up to allow for group donations to the same location, as well as general non-location-specific donations.

I don't really have experience with 501(c)3's though. Is there anybody here that does? What are the pitfalls?