Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5kw (15 panel install) expected on tues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what useful questions should I ask when I get my install next week?

I'm trying to get Tesla to send me the electrical plan so I can see where the conduit will be run. No luck so far...I guess that's one thing to ask before they start work.

What else?

Cheers

I'm trying to get Tesla to send me the electrical plan so I can see where the conduit will be run. No luck so far...I guess that's one thing to ask before they start work.

What else?

Cheers
I just ordered a 16 panel system and they kept sending me the layout for 15 panels and then they finally corrected it.

What else?

Cheers

If they responded to customers they wouldn't be able to offer solar for $2.01/w....

Our plans did not include any drawings showing how conduit would be run. The guys come with sufficient conduit, ask you how you would like things positioned and tell you what’s possible. Started visit seeing the site for the first time beyond photos sent in. We’ve found our solar and PW teams to be adaptive to requests and willing to explain things and obviously would like to see us pleased. Impressed with our teams, doing a neat job and they work well together. Good luck on your install.

why wildfires ?

There are so many lightning wildfires in California now all up and down the State. Air Quality where we’re at is pretty bad, “unheathy”, saw light ash on our cars today thanks to winds blowing our way, but we’re not as bad as some areas. Whether homeowners waiting for installs or workers leaving their homes that might be in a threatened area or having to navigate to their job or working outside, it’s affecting us.

Welcome to CAL FIRE

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
We have a more complicated install so it will probably take two days (more if the smoke in our area affects their work). We had our first day of install on Monday. Went well and doing very nice work. Their solar and powerwall teams arriving at 8am were here literally all day setting up the roof mounts and working in the garage where the majority of our equipment is going. We were scheduled for Friday for our second day with an arrival in the afternoon (understand they had a job scheduled already in the morning) but come afternoon our air quality in the area was pretty bad so a no show for the afternoon. We are now scheduled for Monday morning and hoping the possible rain/dry lightning anticipated over Sunday/Monday doesn't impact our area and that the winds are favorable to us that day. I know once done we'll still have to wait for PTO and just hoping it happens before any power outages. Given everything going all around us with these wildfires if we only have to deal with smoke, we don't have much to complain about. One of my husband's team is in an evac zone. So far the small sparked fires are reportedly about 13 miles from us and while the warning evac zone isn't that far from us at least the winds have been away from us.

In speaking with scheduling after Friday got messed up, the scheduler said they have their hands full with appointments having to be rescheduled and all of it depending on the location of the wildfires and direction of the wind.

We have a more complicated install so it will probably take two days (more if the smoke in our area affects their work). We had our first day of install on Monday. Went well and doing very nice work. Their solar and powerwall teams arriving at 8am were here literally all day setting up the roof mounts and working in the garage where the majority of our equipment is going. We were scheduled for Friday for our second day with an arrival in the afternoon (understand they had a job scheduled already in the morning) but come afternoon our air quality in the area was pretty bad so a no show for the afternoon. We are now scheduled for Monday morning and hoping the possible rain/dry lightning anticipated over Sunday/Monday doesn't impact our area and that the winds are favorable to us that day. I know once done we'll still have to wait for PTO and just hoping it happens before any power outages. Given everything going all around us with these wildfires if we only have to deal with smoke, we don't have much to complain about. One of my husband's team is in an evac zone. So far the small sparked fires are reportedly about 13 miles from us and while the warning evac zone isn't that far from us at least the winds have been away from us.

In speaking with scheduling after Friday got messed up, the scheduler said they have their hands full with appointments having to be rescheduled and all of it depending on the location of the wildfires and direction of the wind.

Thanks. Agreed. Crazy times in Nor Cal.
I've asked about sat install dates. The guy said he would call back Mon. Seems they have more crews in the area. With back 2 school starting next week, sat install would be preferred

Thanks. Agreed. Crazy times in Nor Cal.
I've asked about sat install dates. The guy said he would call back Mon. Seems they have more crews in the area. With back 2 school starting next week, sat install would be preferred

I don't know if the install teams work weekends. I can say we weren't offered Saturday when we called in to reschedule. Good luck on your install! Actually crazy times all around the state from the CAL FIRE map.

What else?

Cheers
Wiring diagram or plans do not have conduit placements; nothing does unless you get an architect doing it perhaps.

Is this just solar install? Congrats on getting up and running soon.

Our advisor or maybe it was someone else we spoke to randomly was able to forward our .pdf drawings to us a bit before coming out. Since we had both solar and PWs going in we had more equipment in our diagrams than you would if just solar. Good to look over and understand what you are seeing. As mentioned, at least from my experience, you won't see how the conduit will run on any diagram. That will get determined by your lead installer when he talks to you as to your preferences and how he sizes up your area.

Once your lead electrician and the team are ready, they're pretty much set. With PWs we had two teams (3 for the PWs and 5 on the solar) that arrived in two box trucks along with a van and a few of the install teams in individual cars. Move any cars you have in your driveway ahead of time. You'll receive an estimated time of arrival (ours was 7-9am and they arrived at 8am two days, our install was fairly complicated with equipment on our walls needing to be moved and took longer). You'll be asked to have the area of the equipment install (ours was interior garage for our PWs, GW and Inverter) cleared for their team, think 6 feet clearance was requested. Also to remove anything around the perimeter of the house for the solar team. There is the possibility that tools could slide off the roof so keep safety below in mind and avoid anything below getting broken. A good part of our first day for the solar (24 panels on two roof sections) was to install the hooks and rails. Think they decided to save the panel install for the second day along with the pest abatement wire mess we had added to our order (ours was $1500 for material and labor. Decided to be proactive to keep the birds from nesting underneath). Both teams were great and cleaned up the area nicely at the end of the day.

Apart from your questions on conduit run from the roof, painting of it, you might also ask about what to expect afterwards regarding inspection, etc. and if not leasing, when you're final payment will be made.

One of the install days scheduled for us was a Saturday. One of the team members said that he had also worked a job on Sunday as they tried to finish it up. So Saturdays are more common than I thought.

OH and another good question I almost forgot to mention -- how long do they anticipate the power to be out? We asked for a heads up before they cut power so we could shut down computers and such before electricity was turned off. Also plan for not opening your refrig or freezer during this time. We used an insulated ice tote cooler bag filled with ice to store some drinks and ice cream cups in the meantime. The guys appreciated the cold stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesj