Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6,000 Free Supercharger Miles for Taking Delivery by Dec 31st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still not sure why they've done it. With 2-4 weeks delivery anyone ordering now will not get a car registered in time so its not going to increase sales. My initial delivery date was June so its just luck that I've registered my vehicle within the required dates. It will go a little way to recouping some of the £10,000 drop in the second hand value on my M3 SR over the last 2 months😭 Curse you Putin.
There is still time to buy an inventory car, and I guess if you've an existing order you might just cancel and take one of those

But if you're about to take delivery of a car which is now available in inventory and has the same spec but with 3-4k knocked off.. would they honour that or make you pay full price?

Swings and roundabouts regarding the free supercharging miles - What you gain or save by having those miles will be more than lost for having a 2022 car instead of a 2023 car, of course those late Dec 2022 cars will be advertised as a 2023 models but its not the same as having the first registered date as 2023 on your V5, plus, I said back in March there is a rumour that in the 4th quarter there will be a change in the cars specs, some changes to the interior - (probably replacing the door cards with cardboard) and a second screen - and its looking like the rumours aren't too far off the mark.

Thats pretty crap, considering im in the batch of customers that received their cars this quarter. I find that quite unfair.
Same for me. I could understand it if it were to encourage someone to place an order but to just take delivery?!

It's not like after waiting 6 months we actually had any say in the delivery timeframe.

Anyway, I'm not bitter (apparently).

Not sure of the best approach to maximise this benefit.. Would supercharging each week to 100 percent be bad for the LFP battery ? I live near superchargers and as I am retired can sit and watch Netflix with no time pressures.. BUT... should I charge at home for better battery management ? OR as electricity prices are quite likely to soar when the government removes the subsidy in April and probably again in October would it be better to hang onto the ’miles’ until the home electricity rates become much higher ? I do believe the allowance may well work out to 2400 Kwh. That is based on previous free mileage being reduced by 2.5 miles for every Kwh used charging. If you are economical in your driving the 6000 miles would be 9600 miles at an average of 4 miles per kWh or 250 wh/mile.

Not sure of the best approach to maximise this benefit.. Would supercharging each week to 100 percent be bad for the LFP battery ? I live near superchargers and as I am retired can sit and watch Netflix with no time pressures.. BUT... should I charge at home for better battery management ? OR as electricity prices are quite likely to soar when the government removes the subsidy in April and probably again in October would it be better to hang onto the ’miles’ until the home electricity rates become much higher ? I do believe the allowance may well work out to 2400 Kwh. That is based on previous free mileage being reduced by 2.5 miles for every Kwh used charging. If you are economical in your driving the 6000 miles would be 9600 miles at an average of 4 miles per kWh or 250 wh/mile.
If you don't need to use it then i'd wait until April. The LFP battery needs to be charged to 100% at least once a week to maintain it's health, as recommended by Tesla. M3 can easily achieve more than the 'miles' given as they are based on MX efficiency.

Reactions: Frankcjd
It’s all on your personal circumstances- I have a reasonable solar + battery setup so for me I would be hammering it until march when the solar will be meaningfully charging car as well as powering home.

Reactions: Frankcjd
Not sure of the best approach to maximise this benefit..
I would first have a search of the forums for ‘batterygate’. I’m not saying it what is going to happen, but it’s something that has happened in the past. I know there will be some on short term finance deals so will think it’s not their problem, but it may become someone’s problem at some point.

As for regular charging at supercharger. I can say from experience of having needed to do it for a couple of months due to 0 ability of home charging that a weekly top up at a super charger the novelty wears off pretty quickly especially this time of year although in our case it was often a 20 minute or so drive there and a bit shorter back although I often combined it with another trip. I had time on my hands so could always time it when no time pressures but even with a weekly test of the latest Tesla NoA updates, a walk and a coffee I was glad when that routine was over.

I never charged more than 90%, often 80% as things got very slow over 80%, even ignoring potential battery issues.

With time on my hands I could charge when supercharger was lightly used so never put anyone else at an inconvenience. That would be much harder these days with more cars and would be frowned upon by many especially if you were hogging a charger to fill every last % and were only doing it to save a few pennies by not charging at home - I didn’t have that luxury even via UMC so for me, charging away from home was a necessity rather than a cost saving alternative.

Three years later, I still have free supercharger miles but only use them if I absolutely have to. There is a lot more to life than saving a few pennies no matter how much time you have on your hands. I would much rather be sleeping than charging.

I would first have a search of the forums for ‘batterygate’. I’m not saying it what is going to happen, but it’s something that has happened in the past. I know there will be some on short term finance deals so will think it’s not their problem, but it may become someone’s problem at some point.

As for regular charging at supercharger. I can say from experience of having needed to do it for a couple of months due to 0 ability of home charging that a weekly top up at a super charger the novelty wears off pretty quickly especially this time of year although in our case it was often a 20 minute or so drive there and a bit shorter back although I often combined it with another trip. I had time on my hands so could always time it when no time pressures but even with a weekly test of the latest Tesla NoA updates, a walk and a coffee I was glad when that routine was over.

I never charged more than 90%, often 80% as things got very slow over 80%, even ignoring potential battery issues.

With time on my hands I could charge when supercharger was lightly used so never put anyone else at an inconvenience. That would be much harder these days with more cars and would be frowned upon by many especially if you were hogging a charger to fill every last % and were only doing it to save a few pennies by not charging at home - I didn’t have that luxury even via UMC so for me, charging away from home was a necessity rather than a cost saving alternative.

Three years later, I still have free supercharger miles but only use them if I absolutely have to. There is a lot more to life than saving a few pennies no matter how much time you have on your hands. I would much rather be sleeping than charging.
Some good points there, thanks, I was thinking maybe up to 80% on the supercharger then plug in at home overnight to go the final journey to 100% and cell balancing. Certainly don’t want the last slow potion of the charge curve on a supercharger for many reasons. Will have to see how it works out, certainly nice to have the potential for a good day out without the extra costs of on the road charging.

Still not sure why they've done it. With 2-4 weeks delivery anyone ordering now will not get a car registered in time so its not going to increase sales. My initial delivery date was June so its just luck that I've registered my vehicle within the required dates. It will go a little way to recouping some of the £10,000 drop in the second hand value on my M3 SR over the last 2 months😭 Curse you Putin.
The new cars from the existing inventory will also come with the free SUC

Yeah I am, it seems some people got an auto email and some didn't.

I have spoken to someone on the phone and on live chat and they both said I would be eligible and this should show up after Jan 1st.

I dont exactly trust them however I just have to be patient and then challenge if I dont receive them in Jan.

Took delivery on the 13th. Car has a fault, in service center today. Since I bought car the finance offer is better and now this which would effectively save me a few thousand quid. Really
Gutted and exactly why it’s so hard to recommend Tesla to anyone. It’s all so random.