Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 day old Model Y Broke down and needed a tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it still drivable? Could you have driven to a Service Center if you were given the option? Seems odd they'd say it needed a tow if you could still drive it even at a reduced capacity (unless they thought it was to prevent some kind of damage). How slow were you limited to?

Wow that sounds like a big fix...I was hoping it was not that serious.

Replacing a motor is not a big deal in an electric car. It SOUNDS like a big deal, but it isn't.

What happens is that sometimes the new motor has a flaw, and works through QC just fine, but fails under specific loads that were difficult to test. For me, I was turning right onto a busy road from an uphill. I cranked my wheel while in position, and then gunned it. The front motor failed, but the car was totally driveable. Sometimes Tesla will give new drivers a tow even when they can drive because they sense, or suspect, or are told, that the owner doesn't feel comfortable driving a car with an active warning. In your case, it certainly wouldn't have worked no matter what.

The car will be fine. I have a friend who got a brand new Porsche 911 GT3 RS, his dream car, and it crapped the transmission all over the freeway on his first road trip and spent 45 days getting its innards replaced because the output shaft seized and cracked the crankshaft and two rods.

He made them buy the car back. THAT is a catastrophic failure.

Replacing a motor is not a big deal in an electric car. It SOUNDS like a big deal, but it isn't.

What happens is that sometimes the new motor has a flaw, and works through QC just fine, but fails under specific loads that were difficult to test. For me, I was turning right onto a busy road from an uphill. I cranked my wheel while in position, and then gunned it. The front motor failed, but the car was totally driveable. Sometimes Tesla will give new drivers a tow even when they can drive because they sense, or suspect, or are told, that the owner doesn't feel comfortable driving a car with an active warning. In your case, it certainly wouldn't have worked no matter what.

The car will be fine. I have a friend who got a brand new Porsche 911 GT3 RS, his dream car, and it crapped the transmission all over the freeway on his first road trip and spent 45 days getting its innards replaced because the output shaft seized and cracked the crankshaft and two rods.

He made them buy the car back. THAT is a catastrophic failure.
Agree that is catastrophic! There was a humming sound coming from the front and I had no option to put it in drive after trying different reboots with the Tesla support person. Not sure what we could have done to avoid the tow. Guess we’ll see what Tesla says. Thanks!

Agree that is catastrophic! There was a humming sound coming from the front and I had no option to put it in drive after trying different reboots with the Tesla support person. Not sure what we could have done to avoid the tow. Guess we’ll see what Tesla says. Thanks!
Every once in a while, "Better safe than sorry" ends up being a really good policy.

That is a terrible feeling. I hope it turns out to be like what I experienced: an inconvenience that eventually becomes a good story.

I think it is a big deal to have a brand new car that is essentially dead and needs its motor replaced 6 days into owning it. I’m forgiving, but why would I downplay THAT. Good news is that it is covered under warranty, and will hopefully be good to go in a few days.