Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 or 7 seat configuration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just placed an order for a P60D today (the attractive price point put paid to months of procrastinating!) and have a week to make changes. We have selected the 7-seat option as we have 3 kids (ages 6, 3 and 2 weeks old) and two or three times a year have family from overseas - usually just one person, but we will have 2 x 2 guests staying with us before the end of the year. We could always hire a 7-seat rental for those occasions if the 6-seat would serve our needs better for the other 50-odd weeks of the year, but we'd love some insight from owners of both - especially those with multiple kids!

My wife is concerned about the lack of rear visibility with the 2nd row middle seat (crazy that that headrest isn't removable). Our kids are still young so the 'cramped' feeling won't be much of an issue for a few years as they will be the main passengers riding in the 2nd and 3rd rows. For the most part there will be only 5 of us riding in the car, but we do take several trips up the coast each year and with 3 kids we pack a lot of gear (strollers, luggage etc). With the 6-seat config we wouldn't be able to fold the 3rd row seats for extra cargo room. Still, the cabin of the 6-seater felt much more spacious and better designed when we sat in one in the showroom.

Would love to hear people's real life experiences of both the 6 and 7 seat options - especially those with 7 seats, how do you get around the visibility issue?

Thanks so much in advance!

I have 7 seats, and have just gotten used to the visibility out the back. Really it's not any worse on road trips when you have the back packed to the brim anyway. Plus the screen from the DVD player down on the old car. The rear view camera is great, and I always keep it on on the touchscreen.

As for the third row - my wife calls it "the cave". It sits much lower than a traditional SUV. We can't see our kids very well (we have 4) when they are sitting in the 3rd row. My wife wishes we could have a camera just to see what's going on back there when they're fighting. A 6 seater might help alleviate this. For access to the third row, both the 7 and 5 year old have figured out the buttons on the seat, so it's not a big deal access wise to get them in and out (one of the cited pros of a 6 seater over a 7 seater).

P60D? You either meant P90D or 60D.

Only get the seven seat config if you regularly need all seven seats. The six seat config provides more cargo room and is far less cramped in the third row. The view out the back from the mirror is also much better.

Reactions: davidc18
The middle seat of the 7 or 5 seat second row only works for someone that is not tall. So kids work but you lose the cargo space and visability to the rear. We do not have the need for 7 seats and probably will not use the third row very often. So it just depends on your needs, you should go to the showroom and try both the 6 and 7 seat configuration.

This is my 6 seater from the rear view mirror, likely the rear camera can be turned on all the time...
MxMirror.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I feel I must chime in here as I'm very glad I got the 6 seats but its without it's issues. We have a 4 yr old for now with more to come.

Utility is good as my wife has a place to put her purse when inside, she can also get to the back with my son as he likes to cuddle with mom without opening the Fwd just to get there (takes a long time). I can also put all sorts of bags (even duffels) in the center column and can move about the cabin with ease. This allows easy access to the rear seats that can be folded down or up Independently of each other while in vehicle.
Not many vehicles allow captains chairs. An issue with owners is that it's too close to the door and away from the next seat. Well the resulting space makes up for it. The use of those back seats/trunk is available now which is grant and there's a USB port in the middle leg area of the back row which is easily accessible to all. Kind of nice to loit at too.

Aesthetics is greatly enhanced IMHO. Rarely do I see 6 seats on an suv and 4 with rear seats down. I feel those features further exemplifies the X's unique characteristics that set it apart from conventional vehicles. All the intricacies of the technology is in full display here from roof to the floor and nicely shows off the monoposto seats.

Problems with it is that my son can't cuddle with momma in 2nd row and he can't lie down. The X second row is not a bench and also can't recline as the whole seat tilts. Back row is hard to cuddle as occupants are separated by cup holders which is not comfy to sit on. Still my son perseveres to be close to # 1 mom.

We have a 6 seater and love it. An adult can sit in the third row and sticks his/her feet out in between the second row seats and be pretty comfortable. Actually, that's what I will do on a long trip so I can rest when my wife wants to drive. I don't see putting anybody taller than 5 feet in the back for any length of time without hearing "Are we there yet?"

Reactions: davidc18
Tried the 6 and 7 seater at the Tesla store and then drove a six seater. My two lanky teens were much more comfortable in the third row of the six seater because they could put there legs out in to the space normally taken by the 7th seat. They'll be back there when my in-laws are in the middle row. Definitely suits our family needs better and we ordered the six seater. Cuddling mum or dad on a car trip? A distant memory I'm sorry to say, that would be SO embarrassing!

We just placed an order for a P60D today (the attractive price point put paid to months of procrastinating!) and have a week to make changes. We have selected the 7-seat option as we have 3 kids (ages 6, 3 and 2 weeks old) and two or three times a year have family from overseas - usually just one person, but we will have 2 x 2 guests staying with us before the end of the year. We could always hire a 7-seat rental for those occasions if the 6-seat would serve our needs better for the other 50-odd weeks of the year, but we'd love some insight from owners of both - especially those with multiple kids!

My wife is concerned about the lack of rear visibility with the 2nd row middle seat (crazy that that headrest isn't removable). Our kids are still young so the 'cramped' feeling won't be much of an issue for a few years as they will be the main passengers riding in the 2nd and 3rd rows. For the most part there will be only 5 of us riding in the car, but we do take several trips up the coast each year and with 3 kids we pack a lot of gear (strollers, luggage etc). With the 6-seat config we wouldn't be able to fold the 3rd row seats for extra cargo room. Still, the cabin of the 6-seater felt much more spacious and better designed when we sat in one in the showroom.

Would love to hear people's real life experiences of both the 6 and 7 seat options - especially those with 7 seats, how do you get around the visibility issue?

Thanks so much in advance!
I ordered a 6 seater. I'm in the same boat as you are in- I have 7, 4 year olso with the third one coming next month. I also have family visiting from the overseas once or twice a year. We drove both 7 and a 6 seater. Found 6 seater more roomier, kids loved it and had an open feel
To it. Third row was like sitting
In a small box with 7 seater. We didn't want to be spoil daIly experience by getting a 7 seater. Moreover we have a minivan for 7 people haulers.
It's all personal preference

Late response, but we too struggled with this decision and ordered a 6 seater. Now, with 3 weeks to go before delivery, I am having second thoughts. We have two young kids under 10 and an au pair, so we frequently need 5 seats. Maybe 3-4 days each year, we need the 7th seat for very short (~ 1 hour) trips. My initial logic in picking the 6 seater is that 2 children (who have graduated from booster seats) and 1 small adult can somehow contort themselves to fit in the 3rd row for those occasions. But now I am thinking that the 7 seater would allow us to cram 8 people in the same manner. Unfortunately, its too late to make any changes.

Late response, but we too struggled with this decision and ordered a 6 seater. Now, with 3 weeks to go before delivery, I am having second thoughts. We have two young kids under 10 and an au pair, so we frequently need 5 seats. Maybe 3-4 days each year, we need the 7th seat for very short (~ 1 hour) trips. My initial logic in picking the 6 seater is that 2 children (who have graduated from booster seats) and 1 small adult can somehow contort themselves to fit in the 3rd row for those occasions. But now I am thinking that the 7 seater would allow us to cram 8 people in the same manner. Unfortunately, its too late to make any changes.
Don't second-guess yourself. 6 seats is going to be infinitely better.

With 7 seats, the 2 seats in the 3rd row are barely useable. It's very claustrophobic, isolated from first two rows and there is no leg room. With the 6-seat configuration the 3rd row seats are much more comfortable.

Of course, if you are only going to put well mannered children under 12 in the 3rd row, then the 7-seat configuration could work.

Reactions: cheekychappie
It is funny how many of us are toiling with this decision - it is a credit to Tesla and their design that we even have the option of 5,6 or 7 seats, which AFAIK does not appear on the equivalent German engineered vehicles.

My wife wants 7 seats for the 2 or 3 journeys we will need them for, whereas we have ordered 6 based on the best use for the majority of the time

Reactions: WarpedOne
Been on the fence for this one and went with 7. My 24 hour test drive was with a 6 seater and my oldest (5'10") sat in the 3rd row with out issues and my 2 youngest in carseats in the 2nd row. In our current SUV, everyone sits in the 2nd row and the 3rd row seats are always folded flat for more cargo, ie strollers, Costco shopping, etc... For the X, picked the 7 seater for the same reason. If we need to carry more people, we'll have that extra tiny seat in the 2nd row and the 3rd row, perfect for the in-laws ;)

Been on the fence for this one and went with 7. My 24 hour test drive was with a 6 seater and my oldest (5'10") sat in the 3rd row with out issues and my 2 youngest in carseats in the 2nd row. In our current SUV, everyone sits in the 2nd row and the 3rd row seats are always folded flat for more cargo, ie strollers, Costco shopping, etc... For the X, picked the 7 seater for the same reason. If we need to carry more people, we'll have that extra tiny seat in the 2nd row and the 3rd row, perfect for the in-laws ;)

If I could do it over, I would pick the 7-seater. Whenever we have needed the 7th seat, it has always been someone small enough to fit in it comfortably. Unfortunately, no do-overs in life!