Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y to Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family has a 7-seater model y on order (delivery in 2 weeks). But with the price drops we are debating switching to the plaid model x. Any thoughts or suggestions? Love the look of the x, additional screens and utility of the falcon doors. But not sure if it’s still work the extra cost (can’t believe I’m saying that after the recent costs). We will be using which ever we purchase to go to Disney world in a month (900 miles). We have 2 kids but occasionally have the in-laws in the car for short around town trips (hence the 7 seat config).

Love any advice from others that have both or moved from one to the other.

We have 2 Ys with one of them being a 7 seater.

We have used the extra seats three times in one year. Pretty useless IMO but it did get the job done for a very short trip (15 mins). Our kids are almost all teenagers so keep that in mind (all over 5'10"). Small kids/boosters may be a different experience.

With the prices today I would have skipped the Y 7 seater and gotten the X without a question. I would also get the plaid (6 seater) as we found the 7 seat MX to be cramped.

We are selling our MYP and once that is gone will be picking up either a MSLR or the MXP.

I’ve owned both-X and then Y- both 7 seat. Now I’m going back to X. I think it’s a no brainer at current prices for those that can afford it. The X has somewhat more interior space- just enough to make a difference. Especially the third row, which is sort of useless in the Y but not in the X. Then there’s all the other bells and whistles which add up to a better ownership experience.

After the tax credit, the X price is virtually the same as what I paid for the Y late last year. Imo, the S/X just wasnt worth the cost until now. I’d be very surprised if prices ever go down from here.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
After the tax credit, the X price is virtually the same as what I paid for the Y late last year. Imo, the S/X just wasnt worth the cost until now. I’d be very surprised if prices ever go down from here.

Tesla S/X inventory is not moving as people see "reasonalby" priced Tesla competition coming in 2024 so I wouldn't want to make the mistake of buying just before even deeper price cuts (also the competition is beginning to offer reasonable choices worth considering).

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm
Is new 79k (plus additional 3k for 6 or 7 seater) MX (latest prices) still good for 7500$ fed tax rebate? I thought 80k was the cut off but with 6 or 7 seater they won’t be eligible?

Also, if we do a trade in, would I still qualify for 7500$ rebate (trade in should bring the cost down by 20k I’m assuming from ~83k) ?

I’d appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

Is new 79k (plus additional 3k for 6 or 7 seater) MX (latest prices) still good for 7500$ fed tax rebate? I thought 80k was the cut off but with 6 or 7 seater they won’t be eligible?

Also, if we do a trade in, would I still qualify for 7500$ rebate (trade in should bring the cost down by 20k I’m assuming from ~83k) ?

I’d appreciate any inputs. Thanks!
No it’s based off msrp… the only one that qualifies in the 5 seater model x. Trade in doesn’t impact eligibility. Sorry :-(

I had a Model Y scheduled for delivery 9/1. Suddenly the Model X at $67,500 after tax credits (Colorado) was a viable option. If I did not have a Cybertruck reservation (estimated 50k in line) I would 100% have canceled my Model Y and ordered a Model X. I ended up taking delivery of the Model Y (awesome car, better with FSD transfer) but it was a very difficult decision. I still have a little regret. Ultra Red, cooled seats, fold-flat 2nd row made the decision very difficult...

We had a 3 and a 7 seater Y. While the 3rd row in the Y definitely comes in handy when we have visitors so that we can take 1 car, it’s like gymnastics going back there. Since fsd transfer was a perk, we jus traded in our 3 for an X plaid. The captains chair middle row makes all the difference. People can get to the 3rd row without having to move the 2nd row. Also the falcon wing doors are awesome for ingress/egress. So far loving the X Plaid and it will be our go to road trip car even though we’ll lose the ability to use our roof cargo carrier.

If you have the extra money for the X, go for it. You won’t regret it. Y is a very good car. But X is on another level. It drives more smoothly and I love the bigger center screen and the extra display in front of the driver. When switching from Y to X, I thought the extra display would be superfluous. But it turned out to be very useful and I missed it whenever I have to drive a 3 or a Y. The 6 seater is also very useful and convenient. All my teens never complained sitting in the 3rd row. Plenty of room and easy to get in. The ventilated seats are great in a very hot day. The rear display is very handy as well. The blinker turns off by itself after changing lane. The motorized front doors are great. Sit down, press the brake and the door closes itself. And then the car predicts whether you want to go forward or backward. No need to switch gear (I’ll say it predicts the direction correctly about 85% of the time).

Now, the controversial topic. Yoke - I think it’s a matter of preference. My wife and I love it. We are ordering another X with a yoke (luckily was still $250 when we ordered). The absence of stalks - not very convenient but we got used to it. FWDs - easy to get in and out. But sometimes they refuse to open fully. And when it happens and the driver or front passenger tries to get out in a hurry, they might bump their head. Ouuuch.

But all in all, IMO, X is better than the Y. Does it worth the extra money? I think it depends on your situation. If you have the extra money and willing to spend it, then it’s worth it. But if you are looking for economical, Y hits the sweet spot.

I suspected that. Thanks! Just find it hard to justify that price for USS-less and radar less MX. May be late ‘24/‘25 May have it back (aka highland upgrade) :)
Make no mistake, the 2023 MX with HW4 has a HD Radar that's sitting in wait of a software update. USS less is correct, Hopefully they are still on track to get Tesla Vision ready to rock, but I question that since FSD V12 moves toward end to end AI and obviously Tesla Vision requires a middle point of a AI create model of the world.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
We now have a Y and a X plaid (traded up from a 3 b/c of fsd transfer). Hands down the X is better for me and the wife. The FWD is awesome if you have a young kid in a car seat that you have to buckle in. We used to bump her head all the time in the 3 - a little easier in the Y since it’s taller and doors are bigger but X is just easy. The frunk and sub trunk is much wider in the X so you can fit a lot more in. Also my daughter loves the rear screen. We installed a similar looking but smaller aftermarket screen in the Y but it’s not controllable from the front screen like in the X. The one thing I do miss is not being able to put a roof rack on b/c of the FWD.

I have 2 Model Ys… Get the X.
I have a 2022 MYP. Hate the suspension. It's better now with Ohlins installed but the MX we test drove is still significantly better than the MY with comfort coilovers. Just put in our reservation on the 5 seater for the tax credits. I didn't buy at the height but still going to lose a decent amount. Oh well at least I can get *something* at a lower price with the tax credit 😆

I was about to start a thread on this topic, then I found this.

I've owned my Model Y for three years - and love the car! Since we are long retired, we've traveled to see the son in Florida three times, the older daughter in California once, and my brother in Denver twice. With over 61k miles, I finally had to have a repair done - the driver seat adjustment wouldn't hold. Big deal!

But, in my dotage, I think it is time I spent my children's inheritance. I'd dreamt of a Model S for a long time (a red one, of course) but when I test drove it, found it was way too difficult to get in an out. After sitting in a MX that was in the showroom, I came home and learned more. I have a test drive with a MX scheduled in a couple of days.

The only thing I have found that I would give up by going to an X is that the energy app is severely curtailed. (I love to look at it - just for fun. And I'm not even an engineer.) If that is all I lose, then I'm all in on an X. Anybody else know something I might miss?

I was about to start a thread on this topic, then I found this.

I've owned my Model Y for three years - and love the car! Since we are long retired, we've traveled to see the son in Florida three times, the older daughter in California once, and my brother in Denver twice. With over 61k miles, I finally had to have a repair done - the driver seat adjustment wouldn't hold. Big deal!

But, in my dotage, I think it is time I spent my children's inheritance. I'd dreamt of a Model S for a long time (a red one, of course) but when I test drove it, found it was way too difficult to get in an out. After sitting in a MX that was in the showroom, I came home and learned more. I have a test drive with a MX scheduled in a couple of days.

The only thing I have found that I would give up by going to an X is that the energy app is severely curtailed. (I love to look at it - just for fun. And I'm not even an engineer.) If that is all I lose, then I'm all in on an X. Anybody else know something I might miss?
The stalks and horn at the center of your wheel. These are major problems for some. I adjusted well to no stalk. You can’t never get used to no horn at the center. Having said that, you can activate the horn by placing your palm on the right side of the yoke/wheel where the horn button is. But that’s still not the same as the horn at the center.

But overall, no regret going with X. It’s a next level car compared to Y

The stalks and horn at the center of your wheel. These are major problems for some. I adjusted well to no stalk. You can’t never get used to no horn at the center. Having said that, you can activate the horn by placing your palm on the right side of the yoke/wheel where the horn button is. But that’s still not the same as the horn at the center.

But overall, no regret going with X. It’s a next level car compared to Y
I've heard the same comment on the horn from others as well. It's a bit of a ponder for me as I can't remember the last time I used the horn, honestly. Perhaps this will reduce the number of road rage incidents :)