Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y to Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard the same comment on the horn from others as well. It's a bit of a ponder for me as I can't remember the last time I used the horn, honestly. Perhaps this will reduce the number of road rage incidents :)
The reason why people will never get used to the horn situation is because it is not used often. Very likely you will only use it in an emergency situation and when you need it, your reflex kicks in and press the center of the wheel.

The stalks and horn at the center of your wheel. These are major problems for some. I adjusted well to no stalk. You can’t never get used to no horn at the center. Having said that, you can activate the horn by placing your palm on the right side of the yoke/wheel where the horn button is. But that’s still not the same as the horn at the center.

But overall, no regret going with X. It’s a next level car compared to Y
When I test drove the MS, I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to the buttons. Sure sure - when I needed to turn on the signals quickly to make a lane change, muscle memory sent me to the stalk, but I don't see that as a problem. I didn't try the horn - as many of you have said, I hardly ever use it.

If I buy (and it looks like I will), I will go the PPF/ceramic routine. Tinting - I don't know. I would only tint the roof, but as the windshield and roof are essentially the same, I'll have to ponder that. (Also makes me wonder how much it would cost if I got a badly cracked windshield. That sounds expensive.)

After a demo drive today, I am even more impressed with the MX. The demo car had a yoke, and it was not as bad as I had anticipated - but if I buy, I'll get a wheel.

A couple of things - and I'd like anyone's input.
  1. The so-called sun visors are a mere wisp. My (very) short wife normally keeps the passenger side visor down in our MY. Outside of wearing a baseball cap in the car, anyone have any ideas? She suggested raising the passenger seat as high as possible.
  2. The windshield and glass roof are all one unit. If I get a bad rock hit that spiderwebs the windshield, that sounds expensive to fix.
  3. I spent some time on the touchscreen, figuring out settings. Nothing too weird there - just different. I had the car set on traffic aware cruise control. When I wanted to disengage it, I couldn't figure out how, other than using the brake pedal.
  4. Any thoughts on mats? I have 3DSpyders in the MY, but would like something more carpetlike. Suggestions?
  5. Where does everyone keep their sunglasses. Please tell me there is another place than putting them in one of the center console cubbyholes.

After a demo drive today, I am even more impressed with the MX. The demo car had a yoke, and it was not as bad as I had anticipated - but if I buy, I'll get a wheel.

A couple of things - and I'd like anyone's input.
  1. The so-called sun visors are a mere wisp. My (very) short wife normally keeps the passenger side visor down in our MY. Outside of wearing a baseball cap in the car, anyone have any ideas? She suggested raising the passenger seat as high as possible.
  2. The windshield and glass roof are all one unit. If I get a bad rock hit that spiderwebs the windshield, that sounds expensive to fix.
  3. I spent some time on the touchscreen, figuring out settings. Nothing too weird there - just different. I had the car set on traffic aware cruise control. When I wanted to disengage it, I couldn't figure out how, other than using the brake pedal.
  4. Any thoughts on mats? I have 3DSpyders in the MY, but would like something more carpetlike. Suggestions?
  5. Where does everyone keep their sunglasses. Please tell me there is another place than putting them in one of the center console cubbyholes.
Did you feel like it’s worth ~$30K more than a Model Y? Can almost get a 3 and a Y for the price of an X.

1. Like you said, all you can do is raise the seat as high as you can. They’re some small visors relative to the size of the car.

2. Make sure you get windshield coverage on your insurance policy. The service center closest to me recently billed my insurance about $2,600 with labor for replacement. It’s crazy.

5. Yup. That seems to be the only reasonable place in the X for sunglasses.

2. Make sure you get windshield coverage on your insurance policy. The service center closest to me recently billed my insurance about $2,600 with labor for replacement. It’s crazy.
How long did it take for Tesla to get you the replacement windshield? I've heard horror story of it taking several months just to get a replacement front windshield for the MX from Tesla

How long did it take for Tesla to get you the replacement windshield? I've heard horror story of it taking several months just to get a replacement front windshield for the MX from Tesla
Here in CA, it took about 1.5 months. This happened at the end of summer this year. So, what you heard sounds about right. Was rescheduled twice by Tesla due to part not showing up by the scheduled date.

Reactions: awd_rails
I had 2 MS and 1 MX, and tried twice to justify the 4th Tesla to be 3 or Y. Had both 3 and Y as loaners in the past and test-drove a 2023 MY. The final verdict is that we are buying another MX.

The biggest complaint I had when comparing 3 and Y to S and X is: 1) Road noise 2) Horrible suspension compared to S or X. Very hard to go from S & X to 3 or Y.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
Did you feel like it’s worth ~$30K more than a Model Y? Can almost get a 3 and a Y for the price of an X.

Fair question. It's just that my circumstances are different from most folks.

At age 80, most likely this will be my last car. As I wrote earlier, I'm spending my adult children's inheritance - and all three have strongly encouraged me to get the X. Also, my wife can no longer drive for medical reasons. We are selling her car, then add in the sale of the Model Y, and the $7,500 tax credit and its worth it - for me.

One more question. One of the few things I disliked in the Y was phantom braking while in Autopilot. Is the MX plagued with that problem?

Fair question. It's just that my circumstances are different from most folks.

At age 80, most likely this will be my last car. As I wrote earlier, I'm spending my adult children's inheritance - and all three have strongly encouraged me to get the X. Also, my wife can no longer drive for medical reasons. We are selling her car, then add in the sale of the Model Y, and the $7,500 tax credit and its worth it - for me.

One more question. One of the few things I disliked in the Y was phantom braking while in Autopilot. Is the MX plagued with that problem?

You sound similar to my situation. I'll be 70 in 3 weeks, but still working. For all of my Teslas ('18 LR3, '22 PY), I've said, "this is probably my last vehicle". I figured if I went with the base X, in 2 years when it's paid off, I'd upgrade to the Plaid, which would cost at least $20k in depreciation and markup, so went straight for what I really want.

IF I add FSD, then it really is my last one. So easy to add, but you get $zero for it in trade. No kids, but same situation with my wife (MS+cane+occasional wheelchair) and she has a vehicle (low mileage 2017 Buick) we should sell.

Have you tried a camera calibration for the phantom braking?

You sound similar to my situation. I'll be 70 in 3 weeks, but still working. For all of my Teslas ('18 LR3, '22 PY), I've said, "this is probably my last vehicle". I figured if I went with the base X, in 2 years when it's paid off, I'd upgrade to the Plaid, which would cost at least $20k in depreciation and markup, so went straight for what I really want.

IF I add FSD, then it really is my last one. So easy to add, but you get $zero for it in trade. No kids, but same situation with my wife (MS+cane+occasional wheelchair) and she has a vehicle (low mileage 2017 Buick) we should sell.

Have you tried a camera calibration for the phantom braking?
70, eh? Damned kids!!! Hee hee.

My wife has Parkinson's. She could drive in a pinch, but we agree she is no longer safe, for herself or the public.

No - never tried calibrating the camera. There have been all kinds of "fixes" mentioned on the forums, but nothing that seems to actually work. At this point, I don't care as the MY is going anyway.

I went from a M3 to a MX. Would do it again in a heartbeat. It is simply a more comfortable vehicle for my needs. Once you get some time with having an screen in front of you, it would be tough to go back.

I believe that the phantom braking issue is due to the vision-only version of autopilot/FSD, as opposed to the older models with radar. They will eventually improve the system to the point where the phantom braking is no longer an issue, but it may take a while.

Safe travels, my friends!

70, eh? Damned kids!!! Hee hee.

My wife has Parkinson's. She could drive in a pinch, but we agree she is no longer safe, for herself or the public.

No - never tried calibrating the camera. There have been all kinds of "fixes" mentioned on the forums, but nothing that seems to actually work. At this point, I don't care as the MY is going anyway.

I've never liked my wife's driving. Hate driving her Buick even more, because I've become a Tesla snob. Of course her driving isn't getting better as her MS progresses. Since she can only walk a short distance, she can walk with her cane to clinic appts at one location. For any of the other ones, I put her in a wheelchair, park the car, run back and roll her to her appt. We don't have a motorized one yet, as long as I'm available to push her. At some point I'll have to work from home and that will be a miserable day for me. I hate working from home. I'm a web developer for a bank and love my job. I got the good genes (Mom is still living in her house at 90 y.o.), while she got the shitty ones (both parents died young).

I just realized something... I used to joke that if I bought a Plaid, my wife would kill me, but if she died, I could buy one. Either way, someone was going to die.

Now I've ordered one and I still have a pulse. Of course, we talked about buy an X, even sat in one (a Plaid) last week and I didn't hear her say we couldn't buy one. Butt (again), she doesn't know I ordered it. Stay tuned. :p

Reactions: msm859
I went from a M3 to a MX. Would do it again in a heartbeat. It is simply a more comfortable vehicle for my needs. Once you get some time with having an screen in front of you, it would be tough to go back.

I believe that the phantom braking issue is due to the vision-only version of autopilot/FSD, as opposed to the older models with radar. They will eventually improve the system to the point where the phantom braking is no longer an issue, but it may take a while.

Safe travels, my friends!
Just FYI, regarding the screen in front of driver behind the wheel, there’s plenty of really great aftermarket options. Same thing if you wanted a screen for the rear. Also, you can add a aftermarket powered frunk to any Tesla.

To be frank, I don’t have much hope that Tesla will fix the phantom braking any time soon. They have still yet to fix the auto-wipers or the proximity when parking close to objects or even in an empty garage at home.

Vision-only has been absolutely terrible with no hint of even attempted fixes.

Reactions: msm859