Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-seat model owners? (especially in the Chicagoland area)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in my one-week decision period right now; and having *just* finally test-driven the X out at the Oakbrook location, I'm more than a little bothered by the rear-visibility with the middle seat. I'm thinking of switching from the 5-seat to the 6-seat, to dispense with the middle-seat ... but I *really* want to see it in person, badly.

Is there any chance anybody in the area has taken delivery of a 6-seat model? If you'd let me come by and poke around inside briefly sometime this week, I'd be happy to trade a bottle of nice scotch (or my eternal gratitude) for the honor ...

If nothing else, perhaps if any of you on these forums have some detailed photos of the 6-seat model's interior, that'd at least be something. (I have dogs, and often carry weirdly-shaped and/or large loads of things in my cars ... space is important to me, and I'm really hoping that the 6-seat model feels like it's very roomy, and hopefully doesn't come off as *too* “van-y” ...)

A summary for you:
1) Since you obviously don't need a lot of seats, the 6 obviously meets your goal, with a spare...
2) Since you obviously want space, the 6 seater, with the 3rd row down, is quite close to the 5: better in that longs things can go between the 2nd row seats, worse in that you lose just a tad vertical clearance due to 3rd row seat bulk.
3) You want it to meet your goal as a 4 seater most of the time, since, with the 3rd row up, you have nowhere near the storage of a 5 seater
4) If you have dogs ... you do realize there is no barrier for them, in the 6 seater? You must have some awesome, well trained dogs...
5) Visibility is unobstructed in the 6 seater, so yes: you get that. I find that view somewhat pointless anyway, the tiling side view mirrors, plus rear view camera, rocks.

If to agree on all these points... I would guess you want a 6 seater, case closed.

Elliot was just asking if anyone in the area had one so he could actually see one. Not an unreasonable request.
BTW, I'm in the same boat. Just test drove the Oakbrook Model X and the lack of "rear view" in the rear view mirror was extremely annoying (and disappointing). I've changed my order from a 5-seat to 6-seat for that reason alone.
TESLA: Please consider giving the center rear seat a detachable headrest. The current 5/7 seat configuration makes the rear view mirror virtually useless.

1) Since you obviously don't need a lot of seats, the 6 obviously meets your goal, with a spare...
2) Since you obviously want space, the 6 seater, with the 3rd row down, is quite close to the 5: better in that longs things can go between the 2nd row seats, worse in that you lose just a tad vertical clearance due to 3rd row seat bulk.
3) You want it to meet your goal as a 4 seater most of the time, since, with the 3rd row up, you have nowhere near the storage of a 5 seater

You make a good point: the rear row *is* of very limited use, so basically … I'm not upgrading from a 5 to a 6, I'm *downgrading* from a 5 to a 4, for the visibility and space. (For an extra $3,000. lol.)

4) If you have dogs ... you do realize there is no barrier for them, in the 6 seater? You must have some awesome, well trained dogs...

… I mean … I, don't really understand what you mean? ‘Barrier?’ Do normal people need some special barrier for their dogs? Mine sit on the rear seat while I drive … if I buy the 6-seater, I think maybe they'll chill out on the floor between them.

5) Visibility is unobstructed in the 6 seater, so yes: you get that. I find that view somewhat pointless anyway, the tiling side view mirrors, plus rear view camera, rocks.

If to agree on all these points... I would guess you want a 6 seater, case closed.

Yeah, visibility and storage is the biggest deal, for sure! I think I'm sold on this.

If you can, try setting up a test drive at the Highland Park store. They have a 6 seat there.

Somebody else pointed this out, and I ended up turning around and popping up 94! The traffic bit us real hard, but hey, I got to poke around in the 6-seater, so! Thanks!

… I mean … I, don't really understand what you mean? ‘Barrier?’ Do normal people need some special barrier for their dogs? Mine sit on the rear seat while I drive … if I buy the 6-seater, I think maybe they'll chill out on the floor between them.

Well, I don't know about normal people, but I do know about normal dogs. Let's just say the Irish Setter I bought my Mom is never getting in my 6 seater X.

View media item 114752

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
@ELLIOTTCABLE

I am not in Chicagoland but I do have a 6 seater and have a large dog - Golden Reriever. I drive with the 3rd row seat headrests in the down position and don't really have rear visibility issues. But recognize that Model X has a rather small/tight rearview to begin with.

I had my dog sit in the 3rd row seats initially but he figured out on his own that the floor space in front of the 3rd row seats is a more comfortable place for him. So that's where he sits now. I put a small (2x3) black bath matt/rug on the floor for his comfort.

Sorry that I missed your post because I would have meet you somewhere. My X is getting the rear hatch fixed up after a minor accident for the next week or so.

We may need a X meet up in the future for all the folks that came to your thread.