Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 Week Ownership Checkpoint on CPO P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it has been six weeks since taking delivery of my CPO 2012 Signature P85 (21K Miles). Having read all of the horror stories posted on TMC about various issues including dead 12v batteries, drivetrain issues, etc....I was expecting the worst given that my car is VIN# 233...one of the first ones off of the line. At the same time, I was hoping that all of the car's issues had been addressed during the previous two year ownership. Since Tesla does not disclose the previous service history, it is impossible to tell what issues occurred and were addressed.

Happily, except for a slight bit of wind noise on the driver's side window, the MS has been absolutely trouble free in all respects. Everything works, everything fits and the car is a joy to drive. It has exceeded my expectations. The only thing that I would change would be to install 19" wheels instead of the 21"s, but I am learning to live with them. I am getting ready to buy snow tires for the upcoming winter season, and there are not a lot of tires to choose from. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Tesla is also opening a major new Store/Service Center in Dedham, Mass, 30 miles from me this summer!

Knock on wood!

So it has been six weeks since taking delivery of my CPO 2012 Signature P85 (21K Miles). Having read all of the horror stories posted on TMC about various issues including dead 12v batteries, drivetrain issues, etc....I was expecting the worst given that my car is VIN# 233...one of the first ones off of the line. At the same time, I was hoping that all of the car's issues had been addressed during the previous two year ownership. Since Tesla does not disclose the previous service history, it is impossible to tell what issues occurred and were addressed.

Happily, except for a slight bit of wind noise on the driver's side window, the MS has been absolutely trouble free in all respects. Everything works, everything fits and the car is a joy to drive. It has exceeded my expectations. The only thing that I would change would be to install 19" wheels instead of the 21"s, but I am learning to live with them. I am getting ready to buy snow tires for the upcoming winter season, and there are not a lot of tires to choose from. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Tesla is also opening a major new Store/Service Center in Dedham, Mass, 30 miles from me this summer!

Knock on wood!

Very awesome, glad to hear. For wheels I'd still say you should switch to the 19"s for Winter and just get Winter tires for them - will be cheaper overall even possibly. You can get the 19" OEM rims very cheap on ebay even, $150 or so per wheel - and with the tire price difference it may make up for that on 21s, and they last a lot longer so many Winters ahead... 19"s will also give you a little better ability to deal with bad Winter pot holes, room for packs of snow to move around in wheel well, etc.

Knock on wood!
I picked up my CPO 2013 P85 about the same time as you did and have had the same general experience......no problems, lots of joy. :)

The only thing that I would change would be to install 19" wheels instead of the 21"s, but I am learning to live with them. I am getting ready to buy snow tires for the upcoming winter season, and there are not a lot of tires to choose from. Any recommendations would be welcome.

I am in the same boat. I would recommend getting another set of 19" wheels and putting winter tires on them. Since I am in North Carolina, I will do All Season instead of dedicated snow tires. These are the rims I am considering. They look just like my 21"s, and accept the Tesla center cap.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...toModel=Model+S&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=P85

Same here. Configuration, see my signature. 3k miles in 2 months. Little noise in the Pano. Just dropped by service center and they fixed it right away. Great service! I switched to 19" wheels due to very bad road conditions here in NJ, definitely worth it!
Having a hard time thinking about driving a gas guzzler again, which I hopefully won't have to...
;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I am in the same boat. I would recommend getting another set of 19" wheels and putting winter tires on them. Since I am in North Carolina, I will do All Season instead of dedicated snow tires. These are the rims I am considering. They look just like my 21"s, and accept the Tesla center cap.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...toModel=Model+S&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=P85

Got the same in silver, they look great for a much better price!

S I am getting ready to buy snow tires for the upcoming winter season, and there are not a lot of tires to choose from. Any recommendations would be welcome.

If you're going to drive on a lot of snow and ice, most people agree that you should get a severe Winter tire like the Nokian Hakka R2, Nokkian Hakka 8 or the Michelin Xice-i3. If you mostly will be driving on clear or wet roads, the Pirelli tires Tesla Motor's sells are fine.

Unless you see a lot of ice, the studs available on the Hakka 8's are probably not worth it due to road noise and reduced range.

So I am seriously looking at the earlier suggestions about buying 19" rims and putting snow tires on them and putting the 21" rims in storage for the winter. Looks like a cost effective and efficient strategy....shopping now! If next winter is anything like last winter, I'm gonna need world class winter tires!

So I am seriously looking at the earlier suggestions about buying 19" rims and putting snow tires on them and putting the 21" rims in storage for the winter. Looks like a cost effective and efficient strategy....shopping now! If next winter is anything like last winter, I'm gonna need world class winter tires!

That's exactly what I'm doing with my + . Tirerack has 19inch rims and snow tires that look like the 21's. Cost is approx $2k, mounted, balanced, TPMS and shipped. Basically out of pocket is more like $1k long term as the tires last longer (both winter and summer).

8 week update

Can hardly believe it's been 8 weeks tomorrow that we've had our Tesla Model S.

My wife is taking her first road trip without me in her car tonight, its 360 (rated) km according to EV trip planner, so pretty much means she arrives home with 10% battery remaining.

Feeling hopeful and nervous, she's been the passenger for all the other out of town trips, so she knows the tech (energy graph, trip percents, nav, etc), but the last time I did a similar trip, we arrived home with just around 10% SOC remaining, not much buffer...:scared:

Used the phone app just now to start the 90%->95% charge so the car is ready for it.

The only thing that I would change would be to install 19" wheels instead of the 21"s, but I am learning to live with them. I am getting ready to buy snow tires for the upcoming winter season, and there are not a lot of tires to choose from. Any recommendations would be welcome. Knock on wood!

I recommend getting a set of 19 inch rims and winter tires from tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterTireCompare.jsp?minLoad=S&sortSize=19&snowSortCode=21235&autoYear=2013&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+S&autoModClar=85&winterType=A&startIndex=0&search=true&performance=W

So it has been six weeks since taking delivery of my CPO 2012 Signature P85 (21K Miles). Having read all of the horror stories posted on TMC about various issues including dead 12v batteries, drivetrain issues, etc....I was expecting the worst given that my car is VIN# 233...one of the first ones off of the line.

The problems are blown way out of proportion on this web site, as one of the functions it serves is to help people who identify problems. The first thing I do when I have a concern is to post here. We hear almost nothing from the owners who are problem free and many owners don't even know about this site or even post here if they do.

Can hardly believe it's been 8 weeks tomorrow that we've had our Tesla Model S.

My wife is taking her first road trip without me in her car tonight, its 360 (rated) km according to EV trip planner, so pretty much means she arrives home with 10% battery remaining.

Feeling hopeful and nervous, she's been the passenger for all the other out of town trips, so she knows the tech (energy graph, trip percents, nav, etc), but the last time I did a similar trip, we arrived home with just around 10% SOC remaining, not much buffer...:scared:

Used the phone app just now to start the 90%->95% charge so the car is ready for it.

You've already done the trip but why not charge to 100% for the trip? Hope it went well.

You've already done the trip but why not charge to 100% for the trip? Hope it went well.

Did charge to near 100% this time, and she made it back with 30% to spare, clearly she is a better driver than I am! :love:

Turns out that she drives speed limit + 10%, whereas I don't *(ahem). Makes a big difference in range.
She was very happy with the car, and claimed it is the best car she's ever driven at night, very clear headlights, and the car was very confidence inspiring.
WHEW!

Did charge to near 100% this time, and she made it back with 30% to spare, clearly she is a better driver than I am! :love:

Turns out that she drives speed limit + 10%, whereas I don't *(ahem). Makes a big difference in range.
She was very happy with the car, and claimed it is the best car she's ever driven at night, very clear headlights, and the car was very confidence inspiring.
WHEW!

Great to hear. Anytime range is a concern starting your trip out slower maybe at the speed limit in the right lane is a good way to go. Use the Nav with the trip estimator too. Then on the way back if your buffer looks good and drive with a little more oomph. Glad she made it.