Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 kWh car is a bargain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Think about this - In less than one traditional auto model cycle from right now (4-6 years) you can buy a gently used 2017 Tesla Model 3 P75D (or whatever the top model will be called) with 0-60mph of 3 seconds or less, autopilot, 250 mile range, and infinite mile powertrain warranty for about $20k. (Assumptions being an original price in the $50k-$60k range but offset by tax incentives for the first year or two of production).
I think your $20K used price for the Model 3 you described is much too low, and it will likely be more like $35K, but I take your point. Used Model 3's will be on the market in 5 years for much less than their new price, further increasing the market for EVs and Teslas.

Reactions: rabar10
What makes the refreshed 2016 Model S 60 an incredible bargain is that compared to the original 2012 Model S 60, they lowered the price almost $4000 (it was $69900 and now it's $66000) and added over $12000 in free stuff (i.e. new features, features that were previously paid upgrades, or features that were only available on higher trims):

Autopilot hardware and safety features (front and side collision avoidance, blind spot warning, lane departure warning, speed limit display)
12-way power adjustable heated seats
Tech package (most of it, i.e. navigation with real-time traffic, auto-presenting door handles, power folding mirrors, homelink, driver profiles, daytime running lights) - $3750
Alcantara headliner - $500
Wood decor - $650
Supercharging - $2000
Parking sensors - $500
Integrated center console - $1250
Parcel shelf - $250
Michelin Primacy tire upgrade - $1000
Turbine-style or aerodynamic 19” wheels - $2500

The car is also upgradable in that you can pay to unlock the full 75kWh battery, autopilot convenience features, and 72amp charger later on.

It's an incredible bargain for $66000.
You guys must have access to details I'm not finding. I have configured my MS60 and don't recall seeing the details of "blind spot warning" or parcel shelf or center council or Michelin tires....I'm either jealous you see that stuff, or embarrassed I missed it. But can you point me to where that stuff is listed/explained in bloody detail?

You guys must have access to details I'm not finding. I have configured my MS60 and don't recall seeing the details of "blind spot warning" or parcel shelf or center council or Michelin tires....I'm either jealous you see that stuff, or embarrassed I missed it. But can you point me to where that stuff is listed/explained in bloody detail?

Go to the "order your S" site. Find the Standard Equipment block (below option of rear vs. AWD).

There is a "view all" link. This will give all the information you are looking for. (I didn't see the Michelin tires or parcel shelf... But most other stuff is there.... Damn really want that HEPA filter for the premium upgrade...)

The list was about what's been added over the year vs say 2013 S60. As for the Michelin, well, we get to have better tires than back then but everyone seems to be getting Goodyear Eagles and no Michelin Primacy (I got them on my S85 2014 but my new 90D has the Eagles).

Also, It's a smart move from Tesla to bring price down to bridge with model 3 orders. They may have a slightly less profitable car to boot but 1/ will compensate by volume 2/ will entice drivers to upgrade over time 3/ when the cars are sold back or returning from lease they instantly become 75 CPO!

I may be wrong about the tires then. But integrated center console is now standard per the last few months of deliveries. Blind spot detection is part of the autopilot safety suite. Parcel shelf has been included for a couple of years now. I guess these items are so "standard" that's it's not even worth wasting space to list them on the spec sheets. But they were or all still extra options (or not available at all) for the original Model S 60.

I haven't seen it mentioned but wouldn't the 60kwh be the version to have since you could theoretically do a range charge on it with no battery degradation? So based off the old 60kwh cars you'd get 208 miles on a full charge versus what? 215 miles on a 75kwh 90% charge?

If you're not road tripping often, it seems like the 60 would be a no-brainer over a 75.

Mike,
Actually would it make a difference when road tripping? Don't most people charge to 80 pc battery capacity anyway to avoid waiting forever?

For long road trips, I generally do charge to 100%. Generally the limiting factor is the kids and how long it takes to eat.

Am I right in thinking that the larger the battery the faster, pro rata, that it will supercharge (in MPH rather than percent)?

If so is that a further benefit for the 60kw model - i.e. the 60kw will SC at the rate of a 70kw vehicle?

Yes, the new 60 should definitely supercharge faster to its 210 mile range than the old 60, both because of the faster charging rate for being a larger physical battery, and because its really charging to 80% of its physical capacity which is the optimal charging curve. Unless Tesla is going to intentionally throttle the charging rate to simulate a native 60 pack.

Reactions: WannabeOwner