Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 (2.7.77) to 7.0 (2.9.40)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
The local (SLC) service center installed 7.0 (2.9.40) in my S yesterday during it's 12,500 mile check up.

I just did a line-by-line cross check of the release notes of the previous firmware, 7.0 (2.7.77), to the new.

At the top is a section entitled New Features and Improvements it shows:

"Navigation is easier to use: You now have quick access to your recent location
searches when you tap the search field. Additionally, Offline Address Entry is
easily accessible for starting Navigation in low-connectivity areas."

"The auto windshield-wiping logic has been improved."

Further down the only two other changes I found were a section about the analog clock on the instrument panel and a line added to the Autosteer section reading "Autosteer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads."

Further down the only two other changes I found were a section about the analog clock on the instrument panel and a line added to the Autosteer section reading "Autosteer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads."

So... what is a "center divider"? Does this mean a larger center median or barrier? So we will no longer be able to use it on a standard, well marked 2-4 lane highway? That's very disappointing... it worked really well in my experience. Further this implies that it will be using google maps to determine the type of road. And while the database is probably 100% current and accurate to the last 5 minutes in California, I can assure you that it's nowhere close around here.

"Autosteer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads."

So you can still use it at or below 45 miles per hour? That would actually work fine for me. It's the stop and go grind where I'll mostly want to use it. I'm waiting to see how this shakes out before I activate the features. If 7.1 makes autopilot useless in stop and go, I'll pass.

If that's really an exact quote, Tesla, among other things, really needs to work on their grammar. Because that sentence means that Autosteer can't be activated above 45 MPH on roads that don't have either a center divider or residential roads on them.

It's just not that difficult to get this stuff right.

Last edited:
Quote: "Autosteer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads."
That is good news, in my opinion. Will reduce the likelihood of accidents with AP when the driver uses it on roads that Tesla clearly says it should not be used on at this time.
A center divider is a physical barrier of some kind.
Let the bitching and moaning begin...

Last edited:
Autosteer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads."
That is good news, in my opinion. Will reduce the likelihood of accidents with AP when the driver uses it on roads that Tesla clearly says it should not be used on at this time.

Well, this further resolves that I made the right choice with buying a pre-AP car. Most of my commute is on US Hwys with 55 mph speed limits and a grassy median, but no center divider. I would say about 65% of my commute is like this. The next 25% are highways without any center separation except a double-yellow. The last 10% are non-highway surface streets. Early on I realized TACC didn't like the roads I predominantly travel on and basically, Autosteer is no different.

Commenting in reference to the title of this thread - this must be something that happened post 2.9.12. My car currently is on 2.9.12 and will allow me to use AP Lane Keeping on five lane roads w/o a divider above 45 mph.

It's too bad IMHO that they are taking that away, but I don't think it's a huge deal for me. Most of those roads in my area are marked at either 40 or 45 so I'll still be able to use it, just maybe 5 MPH slower than I might like.

Autosteer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads."

If that's the case then I will commence with the bitching and moaning. I have no qualms that it can't be used on residential roads. I'm very disappointed that it can't be used on good quality, well marked 2-4 lane undivided highways that predominate around here. With this step it's become almost completely useless to me.

"Autosteer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads."
Thanks for the warning. I will no longer be installing any more updates.

I actually have no problem with the spirit of that restriction, but I can 100% guarantee that it will have at least some false positives, and that means that it is removing functionality that I already have, while offering me nothing in return. I do not chose to downgrade.

I actually have no problem with the spirit of that restriction, but I can 100% guarantee that it will have at least some false positives, and that means that it is removing functionality that I already have, while offering me nothing in return. I do not chose to downgrade.

Can't blame you for that. I like the thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think so. I have 2.9.12 and I haven't noticed any new restrictions.

Right but the OP is on a rev after .12.

Exactly. How does it know? Camera image data? Separation to cars that are passing head on? Map data that is frequently incorrect?

For the vast majority of interstates, the grassy median is the center divider.

Ouch. I am not surprised. The Interstates around me have a raised barrier in the center or even completely separate roadways for East/West or North/South. Sadly, TACC didn't like those areas. Autosteer threw out many "Take Over Immediately" situations on them too. Thankfully, knowing TACC hates these roads, I had both hands firmly on the steering wheel, so "Take Over Immediately" didn't cause any concern. (This was in a loaner with 2.7.77)

To say I'm disappointed by this turn of events would be a massive understatement. Within a few miles of me are a number of well-marked, undivided two- and four-lane Colorado and U.S. highways, some with a fifth, dedicated center turn lane, and all with posted speed limits above 45 miles per hour and as high as 65 mph. Within its well-understood limitations Autosteer works well on these roads now, and yet it seems as though the next time I accept an update I will not be able to use Autosteer on any of them. I will bitch and I will moan, and I won't stop.

In this decision we're seeing another manifestation of Tesla's California-centric thinking: many places outside the Bay Area and LA don't have divided highways every three miles in any direction. I'm a responsible adult who understands the difference between a driver assist feature and true autonomy; let me decide for myself how and when to use it.

Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 11.20.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 11.21.56 AM.png

Circular reference... But I agree, let's wait for the pioneers (willing or not) to report back on what "divided highway" really means before passing judgment.

Agreed ... IMHO, I would think that the intent here is to make sure that it's something more than just a double yellow line. That could be anything like a turn lane, an esplanade, a grass area, or a wall/barrier.

I've never used autosteer on a road where opposite-direction traffic is in the adjacent lane, and I wouldn't want to in almost all cases. Perhaps I might make an exception for bumper-to-bumper slow moving traffic.